Which Hand do you use?

Which hand is your primary hand(from Birth)?

• Total voters

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Lefties: What's the weirdest thing your elders associated with your handedness? My grandma went the good old fashioned "Scientific Racism" route and blamed it as a "learned behavior from bad genes" because my mum has a half black, half Irish Catholic ancestor. Oh, the joys of mother in laws.
I dunno if I've bumped into much stupidness over my handedness.

My mom was left-handed and had gone through Catholic nun boot camp in her youth, so it was one of the things where she acted extremely overprotective with me. In 2nd or 3rd grade she found out my teacher had us using one of those overly-designed, right-handed pair of scissors to cut paper for craft time, and she complained to the school it made the work harder for me. So I ended up being assigned those cheap crap scissors that barely cut tissue paper but don't favor either hand, which only made craft time for me more difficult. Her heart was in the right place.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We seem to have an inordinately high number of lefties at VV, (or at least responding to the poll). In the general population it's only 10%. This is a really interesting article on why most people are right handed.

Study Reveals Why Lefties Are Rare

I'm sure Cristiano has always known this, but it looks like SLU/VV has an inordinately high percentage of contrary rabble-rousers. :sneaky:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
We seem to have an inordinately high number of lefties at VV, (or at least responding to the poll). In the general population it's only 10%. This is a really interesting article on why most people are right handed.

Study Reveals Why Lefties Are Rare

I'm sure Cristiano has always known this, but it looks like SLU/VV has an inordinately high percentage of contrary rabble-rousers. :sneaky:
I agree. At one point it was running almost neck and neck. I see that the percentage of lefties is dropping as more votes come in, but so far is still a fair amount more than the general population.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I know that writing and the fact that we often end up with ink on our hands has been discussed, but I also always had problems with the metal binding on notebooks being in the way, sometimes even catching my hand on a loose piece of metal.

For awhile there, I think they sold some that were in reverse. I haven't seen them for quite awhile, though. But then, nowadays perhaps students are using their electronic devices much more for note taking and such.

Are those reverse notebooks still around?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I know that writing and the fact that we often end up with ink on our hands has been discussed, but I also always had problems with the metal binding on notebooks being in the way, sometimes even catching my hand on a loose piece of metal.

For awhile there, I think they sold some that were in reverse. I haven't seen them for quite awhile, though. But then, nowadays perhaps students are using their electronic devices much more for note taking and such.

Amazon has some. They also have a book on reverse psychology.

Adeon Writer

I am a lefty, except I use computer mice in my right hand; I had just assumed everyone did. I play WASD + mouse games like a righty.

Probably why I suck.

• 1Like
Reactions: Essence Lumin

WolfEyes

Yes.

note books for left handers - Google Search

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
First link: https://www.amazon.com/Notebook-College-Sheets-Assorted-65128/dp/B000EFNJ1I

$9.30 for 80 sheets of paper??!!! I know for a fact I can get an 80 sheet notebook for $1 at places like either the dollar store or back to school special at other stores.

They done lost their mind! :)

Cut fingers aside, it's not worth it. I forgot to mention one other thing I used to do. With the rise of the 3 ring binder being popular, I just used to put the paper in upside down so the rings were on the right. That didn't work out so well for those that had pockets as well, but c'est la vie.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
In every pub that I come, I always try to get a left handers beer glass. ;)
Look at our response beer button. For right handed people.
The cup of coffee as well. :coffee:

Adeon Writer

First link: https://www.amazon.com/Notebook-College-Sheets-Assorted-65128/dp/B000EFNJ1I

$9.30 for 80 sheets of paper??!!! I know for a fact I can get an 80 sheet notebook for $1 at places like either the dollar store or back to school special at other stores.

Cut fingers aside, it's not worth it. I forgot to mention one other thing I used to do. With the rise of the 3 ring binder being popular, I just used to put the paper in upside down so the rings were on the right. That didn't work out so well for those that had pockets as well, but c'est la vie.
... isn’t that just a regular notebook with the front cover written on the back?

I just write left to right, front to back, but on the “back” of every page, so the spine is always on the right. Anyone else reading my notebook can read it like a normal book, they're just only ever reading the page to the right of the spine. If it's important to use both sides of the page, then yeah, you'll deal with the spine 50% of the time, but righties have the same issue there.

Last edited:

WolfEyes

A 3 hole punch and the white letter size legal pads works pretty good. [Doesn't hurt to keep hole reinforcements on hand either.]

WalMart and Target carry left hand spirals.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
... isn’t that just a regular notebook with the front cover written on the back?

I just write left to right, front to back, but on the “back” of every page, so the spine is always on the right.
The key thing is that the rings are on the right side.

Adeon Writer

As for the implausible poll results, lefties are just more likely to vote and participate in a “what hand do you use” discussion because we have a lot of things to complain about.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Phelpps and Sid

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

I just write left to right, front to back, but on the “back” of every page, so the spine is always on the right.
That is useful, too.. Granted, we have to read it from the back, but it is just as useful as any other tip.

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Left handedness seems to correlate with artistic talent for unknown reasons scientists have never gotten the cause for. There is a lot of artsy people on here and secondlife in general, wouldn't surprise me if our entire niche of the Internet has a higher percentage of lefties.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Left handedness seems to correlate with artistic talent for unknown reasons scientists have never gotten the cause for. There is a lot of artsy people on here and secondlife in general, wouldn't surprise me if our entire niche of the Internet has a higher percentage of lefties.
I haven't got much of an artistic bone in my body, at least as it relates to the ability to draw. I have left handed family members though who are and were extremely talented in every way from a young age. Their talents astound me. I am creative in different ways such as love, love, loving woodworking and can come up with unique plans and follow them through from start to finish. If anything, when it comes to knowledge and usage of computer programs and the like, I tend to be what would have been considered left-brained or right-handed in that I am very studious and analytical about it all.

I know that theory has been discredited.

• 1Like
Reactions: EmpressOfCommunism

RealVioletWitch

Randomly Awkward
SL Rez
Write with the right hand, mouse with the left. Usually.

We're comfortable doing most things with either hand though. When the right hand was injured, we just switched and could do 'tricky' stuff like writing and chopsticks with the left just fine. It's just a question of what you're used to, but it's easy enough to swap. Or maybe that's just us.

Sports stuff, we're equally inept on either side. Like hockey, golf, playing pool, darts, whatever. We never know which side to use, but are bad either way. That's probably just lack of practice tho cos we could do archery and shooting ok from either side.

I know we used to get in trouble sometimes when little, cos we'd be doing stuff with the 'wrong' hand. But like, just whatever was more convenient at the time?

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I write with my right hand and never got used to writing left handed (very slow, messy but readable). When my right clavicle was broken I swapped the mouse to use left handed. I'd say I'm weakly right-handed overall.

craz

mostly asleep
Always used the mouse left handed, even ended up buying a proper left handed mouse eventually. I do have some left handed scissors now, did take a while to get used to but still have all my fingers so far.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
I used right handed scissors with both my left and right hand. No problem with either of them.
Give me a left handed one and I'm in trouble.