Where to Get a simple Up/Down Status for Second Life?

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I figure Web development is as good as anywhere to ask this. Is there a simple Up/Down API somewhere for the Second life grid? I have been playing around with some PHP stuff and I wanted to make a simple green light/red light indicator of if the grid is online. I found the Grid Status feed and embedded that in the page but it's not quite the same. If the web could reach my internal web server I'd just stick a scripted object in world that pinged my server but it's not on the internet and so that won't work.

I suppose an alternate question, can an outside entity (like a webserver) ping an object in SL at all? I think you can send messages to an object with an email and the UID.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
There's code (LSL and PHP examples) on the SL Wiki for a SIM Status reporter:

Hmm, so this would work for a page out on the web, but not behind my home firewall on a local server. But, I think I could make this work in a round about way, by posting the status to my external webserver, then having the local webserver ping out and pull the status from the remote server.

I suppose it probably would be easier to just embed the remote webserver widget.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Hmm, so this would work for a page out on the web, but not behind my home firewall on a local server.
I'm not sure about this particular restriction.

If I had to build around that requirement, then I'd set up a small, publically accessible resource (i.e. out on the web) that outputs the status once a minute or so, then in my local environment I'd script a tool that goes out and collects that status (in PHP, using file_get_contents or curl) on a similarly updating basis.

It's a mite roundabout, but then I don't know what would be required to ping or test grid accessibility directly.

• 1Like
Reactions: Noodles