Where and How would you like to live....

Isabeau

Merdeuse
A friend is currently obsessing over 'little houses' and is saving up so that he can eventually live his retirement in one. Anyway, that's the plan. He sometimes sends me examples of the ones he likes, etc. And with other friends, we sometimes get into conversations about future communal living arrangements. I'm not sure about that, but it's fun to fantasize. I have voyeuristic tendencies and love to peek into people's windows when I walk by, not right up to the window like a creepy weirdo, of course, but just to see how they've decorated.

Anyway, if you could live anywhere anyhow, how what and where would it be? Is there more than one style you like? Would it be off-grid in the woods, or in the city? Are there animals surrounding you, or are you a heartless bastard who hates critters? Just kidding :hamster:

Post a pic or video of a living space, an area, or items you love. Or just describe your fantasy home.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Anyway, if you could live anywhere anyhow, how what and where would it be?
When I took early retirement from Boeing, I already had that opportunity. Nowadays I work part-time from a home office, doing much the same kind of engineering work. I'm near the edge of the built-up Atlanta suburbs, on three acres that are 80% wooded. I can see my neighbor's houses through the trees, but I have trees all around me, except on the front yard/driveway side.

I have over 3000 paper books, so a tiny house wouldn't do. I've always enjoyed building and making things, so a house that needed some fix-ups and an unfinished basement suits me. Besides the office, another bedroom is a "craft room" (sewing and other light crafts), and the basement is slowly being turned into a woodworking shop. Whenever the weather allows, there's always something to do outside. Right now that's raking leaves :)

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I would like a small, accessible place in a livable city, with reasonably quiet neighbors. I have learned that roommates and crowding are never going to work for me. I want to be alone, without being isolated. I loved living in the woods when I was younger, but I’m not up to it now. Something that’s somewhat on the edge of a city so that I’m not far from wild space might work. I’m not averse to a tiny house or a camper if it’s accessible and the space around it is walkable and pleasant. Maybe parked in someone’s backyard and fully hooked up? That would be okay.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I'd be pretty happy living in my mom's house, or even in the house I already have, just it -really- needs some work. [lots and lots of work].

But I'd love to live anywhere but here or there [as in location] I don't like Georgia, I don't like Florida, and I'm extremely homesick for Bavaria [but have all these critters]

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm getting ready to sell our big house now that my daughter is off on her own and my ex is taking a new job in another city. I get custody of two of our cats, so I am planning to move into an apartment. BUT, after the cats are gone (they are both 13 yo), I am thinking of getting a camper, probably a pull behind one, and live in that exclusively. I want to be able to go wherever I want, when I want. I don't need a lot of space.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Anyway, if you could live anywhere anyhow, how what and where would it be?
The house second from the right in this picture.

It's at the end of the bay near where I grew up and is right at the shark netting so you can go down and swim inside the netting or launch a small boat outside it.

Or the white house at the end of the beach in this picture:

The beach is at the end of my favorite skateboarding street, and the house was in the middle of construction when the owners got into some legal shit so it was basically a private skateboard park for me and other local kids for about five years until they started construction again, and I've always wondered what it was like inside now.

Last edited:

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I thought we would want a smaller place when we retired, like most older people (so that's what we did) but as it turns out, my husband was bored out of his mind after he retired and so the good news is that we changed our minds and I'm getting ready to live my dream.

We're selling the smaller place and we bought a larger place on 5 acres in central Florida. I have a pond, a barn, a place for a fenced garden and huge old oak trees with moss hanging from them, Magnolias and Pines. I'm thrilled. It's zoned agriculture so I can have critters. 🐿🐱🦇🦋🐞 :bunny::hamster:🦚🐝🦝🐢🦙🐑🐐🐓

There is LOTS of work to do on the house which keeps my (easily bored) husband out of trouble and with somethig to do and I expect that when I retire (hopefully in June next year) I'll be able to keep very busy too.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Does this count as livable?

I love it, no neighbors and I think the door to door Jesus peddlers would be hard pressed to get there

Amelia Freund

Joined SLU
10 Sep 2007
SLU Posts
Well, definitely NOT in here.

Especially not in the last “bedroom” pictured at the end, ha.

All those patterns aren't very becoming of a mid-century modern house. One would have to get rid of everything before any makeover can be visualized!

I have been regularly daydreaming about this very topic, as due to house prices in my area being mostly out of budget I've been looking further afield, even contemplating a relocation.
All I ideally want is a 3BR house with a double garage and perhaps even a back shed & side vehicle access. Something I can grow into as I accumulate 'stuff', has room for outdoor cat enclosures, and doesn't need much work inside. Acreages look appealing due to the privacy factor, but I'm not sure I have time to mow or slash that much. Plus most of them only have gravel or dirt driveways and I refuse to get my beloved car dirty. However if it were cheap enough to allow me to improve it with an asphalt drive...
If I were to relocate it would be to smaller regional centre, or maybe even to QLD where the stamp duty is cheaper

• 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well, definitely NOT in here.

Especially not in the last “bedroom” pictured at the end, ha.

On the outside it looks like a free, squished Second Life prefab from 2006.