Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
What’s Going On In VRChat These Days

It’s been awhile since we last heard anything about VRChat and its community. The social VR app has been one of the most popular platforms in virtual reality where people can dress up in a plethora of avatars and become whoever you want.

VRChat got especially popular after the the Ugandan Knuckles meme came to life on the platform. But ever since then, we haven’t heard much about the community and what’s been happening on the social VR app.

But it seems as though VRChat is still being used by a large community as we see popular YouTubers such as Zylbrad making original content on the platform.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Knutz Scorpio and Govi

bubblesort

I personally don't use it, but I have a friend who is huge into VR Chat. He's in his Vive constantly, making stuff like I used to in SL. I pass him a few old school SL building tricks now and then (how to make textures repeat, do simple shadows, etc). From what I hear, the VR Chat collision system could use some work, and a lot of it is buggy, but if you don't like tinkering with bugs you wouldn't be into virtual world content creation to begin with.

I get the impression that VR Chat is to the Occulus/Vive generation of VR what SL was to most of us. I hear the audience is pretty big, as far as virtual worlds goes, but the absurd media hype isn't there, like it was for SL in 07 and 08, which is probably a good thing. VR Chat is the main reason why I want to get a Vive soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Adeon Writer

Joined 5 months ago.

I've learned more 3D modeling skills in Blender and Unity in the past few months than I ever did in my entire 11 years of using Second Life.

This was really the kick in the pants I needed. I feel like SL's content creation limitations were holding me back.

I'll always be nostalgic about SL, but it's too hard going back to flat games now.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
UI: "Need a different look? Check out the Avatar Worlds category in the Worlds tab to find new avatars you can use!"

Me: Oh cool! Yeah I mean a generic robot is fine for now I guess but let me see what else there is.... *opens menu, starts to browse*

Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
[Specific Anime Show] girls
Anime girls
Shy anime girls
Anime cat girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime traps
Anime girls
Kawaii anime girls
Anime kawaii girls
Anime girls

Me: So, I'm seeing the beginnings of a pattern here.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Adeon Writer

UI: "Need a different look? Check out the Avatar Worlds category in the Worlds tab to find new avatars you can use!"

Me: Oh cool! Yeah I mean a generic robot is fine for now I guess but let me see what else there is.... *opens menu, starts to browse*

Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
[Specific Anime Show] girls
Anime girls
Shy anime girls
Anime cat girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime girls
Anime traps
Anime girls
Kawaii anime girls
Anime kawaii girls
Anime girls

Me: So, I'm seeing the beginnings of a pattern here.
You could just upload your own. The only limit is 20000 max triangles on the main body mesh (the one that appears by default). Otherwise, if it's a 3d model, it can be used as an avatar. It doesn't need to have a certain skeleton hierarchy or bone names.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
You could just upload your own. The only limit is 20000 max triangles on the main body mesh (the one that appears by default). Otherwise, if it's a 3d model, it can be used as an avatar. It doesn't need to have a certain skeleton hierarchy or bone names.
Yeah I got that feeling. Anime-centric avatar worldlist aside, there were all kinds of different characters that I saw there at the Hub (although it seemed to be a quiet, not-busy time when I visited), and from reading the subreddit, it seems uploading your own avatar at the very least seems to be an important part of doing VRChat.

Thing is, I will have to learn some Unity to be able to upload an avatar. Luckily, the website I sub to for my Blender courses also teaches Unity, so that's within my reach. I know I could probably find enough YouTube videos to scrape together and get some already-rigged CC0 model in there without too much trouble, but I don't want to do it that way. It's okay, I don't mind being a robot-guy for a while. Which is just as good since as a new person I can't upload anything anyway.

Adeon Writer

If you need help with Blender or Unity at all, feel free to hit me up on discord, Adeon#1386. I know the entire VRChat workflow. (aside from modeling skill, I know the technical side of how to do things,, I'm just bad at being artistic.)

Blender always confounded me, but somehow Unity clicked with me with minimal introduction. Then, when I went back to blender, it made more sense because I just compared stuff to Unity.

Also I just got note from the dev that they're about to up the max polygon count from 20k to 70k

Last edited: