what was the first record you ever bought?

Sid

Life happens. Coffee helps.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
For most of us, that will have been a single, I guess.
With the risk, that I can only contribute on this forums while wearing a paperback on my head, here is mine to ckick off:

In my defence: I was just 12 years old back then.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I don't remember the exact first record I got, but for some reason I remember the very first CD.

It was Look Sharp by Roxette, and I blasted it in my fancy new boom box that had a CD player in it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jolene Benoir
Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
Saturday Night by Whigfield and Baby Come Back by Pato Banton. I must have been about 12/13. My dad paid for them.

• 1Like

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
I remember that show, I think I saw them all. Mainly because my elder sister was a big fan.

• 1Like

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
First albumI bought myself was, of course, Saturday Night Fever. Around the same time a Creedence Clearwater Revival Greatest Hits. They both got a lot of play in my house until later on when I got Nazareth - Hair of the Dog

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
The first teen years I only bought singles.
I think that my first album was Burn - Deep Purple.
I always had a broad interest in different styles of music. I was a soul man, loved hard rock and easy listening and everything in between. I Still do.
Around the age of 40 I started to explore classical music as well. Love it.

• 1Like

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I’m thinking it was probably this, because I wanted to be Sheila E. at that age.

• 1Like

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
If we are talking records only, I guess Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. But that was in the early 2000s probably.

The first "album" I ever bought was the soundtrack to Oliver and Company, when I bought a portable cassette player, when I was like 8.

• 1Like

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I’m thinking it was probably this, because I wanted to be Sheila E. at that age.

I thought sharing the fact that I was an 8 yr old Monkees fan would make me feel old. I remember vivdly the performance that Sheila E. gave as the opening act for the Purple Rain tour on Christmas Eve, 1984 (I was 16). I was in hot water with my family for delaying leaving town for the holiday. They went ahead and I went after the concert. I remember her pulling a guy from one of the front rows and giving him what amounted to a lap dance center stage.

A few years back, she performed at the State Fair. I saw her, again, then. She still had it. She gave a very strong performance.

• 1Flower
  • 1Like
Reactions: Cristiano and Pancake

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
By the time I got old enough to get an allowance from my parents, records were on their way out. So, it was a cassette.

• 1Like

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
God, who knows. I had a copy of "Meet the Beatles" - mono - very early. First one might have been a single of "Rag Doll" by the Four Seasons.