What the Surgeon General gets wrong about marijuana

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Preface: Jerome Adams, the current Surgeon General, is a Trump appointee. So it shouldn't surprise anybody that he can be a dumbass.

Here's what the Surgeon General gets wrong about marijuana

Of course, none of this is intended to opine that cannabis is innocuous or that its use and access among young people shouldn’t be discouraged. But that it what regulations and evidence-based education campaigns are designed to do. And in most cases, they do so effectively.

In the case of tobacco and alcohol, such policies have succeeded in driving down young people’s use of cigarettes and booze to historic lows. These results were not achieved by banning the use of these products for everyone, or by sensationalizing their public health risks, but by better regulating the market and by better educating would-be consumers. Rather than engaging in fear-mongering and the telling of half-truths, the Surgeon General would be far better served advocating that we apply these same tried-and-true tactics to a tightly regulated, adult-use cannabis market.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I saw him on The Hill's YouTube and I was like, wtf? That video got ratioed pretty badly. He's claiming his position is based on science but I don't think it's as settled as he thinks. I figured he was cherry picking information.
Yes, part of what is so frustrating is it was put as schedule 1 for purely political/racial reasons. Then in order to get off of there there needs to be real research. But there can not be solid research because it is schedule 1. Round and round we go.

Meanwhile there is plenty of self-reported information that it might be beneficial. Way more than most things need to kick off the trial process. People desperate for something that will work will get it, even though there is no real research about dosages and if it even works. The whole state of things is one giant mess.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I don't use marijuana, and frankly, don't really object to it.

But I do have a fair amount of issue with a lot of the pot smoking crowd. The more hardcore on the issue, the worse it is. The way Reddit bandwagons the issue, Pot is basically a miracle cure with absolutely zero side effect and it's literally ONLY criminalized in order to jail minorities. Well, that and because pharma wants to sell other drugs instead.

Also people who mention that it's safer than cigarettes or alcohol, which is probably true, are honestly making more of a case to make cigarettes and alcohol illegal verus pot legal.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Also people who mention that it's safer than cigarettes or alcohol, which is probably true, are honestly making more of a case to make cigarettes and alcohol illegal
So the problem with that is? [I never could stand the taste of C2H5OH so only occasionally have some at parties when it gets heavily covered up with fruit juice or something and HATE people smoking near me.]

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
But I do have a fair amount of issue with a lot of the pot smoking crowd. The more hardcore on the issue, the worse it is. The way Reddit bandwagons the issue, Pot is basically a miracle cure with absolutely zero side effect and it's literally ONLY criminalized in order to jail minorities. Well, that and because pharma wants to sell other drugs instead.
I think what you're noticing is the reaction a lot of us have to the decades of uninformed, scare-mongering racist campaigns that have tried to equate marijuana use to harder drugs (cocaine, heroin). In the big picture, sometimes there is a natural over-correction in societal attitudes that must take place before a semblance of balance can happen.

As far as jailing minorities, that much was true for years, going back to the 30s. Weed was a "negro drug" associated with jazz music and dancing (gasp).

But it's also true today that big pharma doesn't want any competition against their cash crop of opioid sales.... hedging their bets, now that opioids are being looked at , some pharma companies are actually buying up pot operations and land where they can immediately hit the ground the moment it's legalized. They're betting both sides against the middle in the highest traditions of hypocrisy.

Also people who mention that it's safer than cigarettes or alcohol, which is probably true, are honestly making more of a case to make cigarettes and alcohol illegal verus pot legal.
Well, that hasn't worked well either. Cigarettes are declining in favor mainly because so many of us have seen loved ones die horrible deaths from lung cancer. E-cigs have exploded in usage but now there's a push against them, too. I've never considered this argument a very compelling one, myself. Years ago I was a cigarette smoker. For a while I even drank on occasion. But personally, even when I smoked cigarettes I never consumed nearly that amount of marijuana. Two packs a day of cigarettes versus maybe 1 or 2 joints a day, irregularly. There's no equivalency.

This is just my personal viewpoint: I have neurological issues that cause major pain in my joints. I have a choice of either taking opioids and feeling like an unproductive dull slug all day, or using some CBD oil which is moderately effective. OR I can vape a couple of hits of high-THC oil and handle the pain so much better it's not even funny. I wish I could get the same effect with CBD, but it just doesn't happen. (Edit: I would never attempt to drive a vehicle while high).

Ignore reddit (I read it daily, but hardly ever take it as an indicator of anything other than the opinions of that subset of computer users who use Reddit), ignore the government. Neither is a reliable source of information. I'm relying on studies which are coming out from all over the world - peer-reviewed, showing that marijuana isn't an "evil drug", it's not a replacement for other drugs, it has ample value on its own as a palliative as well as in recreational use. Yet we jail people who have a little bit in their pockets.

The biggest difference for me between marijuana and alcohol/opioids is that I can't really O.D. on pot - the closest I came, I got dizzy and had to lay down but it passed in an hour. I have yet to see reports of anyone dying from a marijuana overdose, and that's more telling to me than the anecdotal tales of "gateways to harder drugs", which I have never experienced.

Last edited:

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
I personally cannot wait until it is properly, fully legalized. I've used CBD infused gummies for a few things (mostly for 'minor' pain and as a minor mood stabilizer) and I have had THC vape (my first experience with it, I took too many, large hits and some of my coping techniques for the minor stutter and other speech issues ended up backfiring on me) as well as eddibles, dry herb vaporizer hits and such - I do not use any of this often but I find it does help with the far more irksome mental health issues I have and with keeping me from verbally tearing into some people.

CBD, THC and straight up cannabis have their uses and for me personally, they're a bloody good supliment to my normal techniques and TC med options for some things.

I just have to remember to not go so hard on the THC vape ... The incident mentioned above? I was at a con and took about three, two second hits off of a THC pen, strong mix to begin with. Well .. At the end of the night I needed to excuse myself from the rave that was happening (final night of the con mind) because I did not like the feeling I got from one of the attendies present. I'd turned to one of the guys I was sharing a room with and told him "I am not feeling so well and I do not like how <attendee's> presence feels, I am going to go back to the room" ... Well, while I did utter that, that is not the order the words came out. To hear my friend tell it, the entire sentence was so badly jumbled that it could only be described as me opening my mouth to say "<Words>" - understandable if you take the time to process it until everything is in the right order and amusingly how my own mind sometimes processes things I am about to say.

The hit was so heay that my normal method of fixing something that broken before it comes out my mouth simply failed or backfired.

Worthless Whore

This girl is worthless
While I've been known to partake on occasion, I'm not really a big smoker. And yeah, it's not like pot is "good" for you, although I know folks who get great results from CBD (which can be obtained from hemp just fine, BTW.) However I absolutely support full legalization mostly because it will cut down on all the organized crime that currently traffics the stuff. Those guys are hard-core bad. Like, chop people up and feed them to pigs bad. AND it will stop all the stupid convictions and jail sentences for normal people just out to enjoy their weekend.

So I see legalization as "mostly harmless".