What SL Features Would You Like To See Added?

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I know that I said it last time this topic came up, but it bears repeating:

More cowbell.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I am well aware that not all viewers do all the things.

I ASKED Kalel what viewer he was using and commented that this option was available on Firestorm, to which Kalel replied rather enthusiastically 'Where is it???'.

Maybe read both sides of a convo before commenting next time bruh. 🙄
I am using firestorm in phoenix mode .. the option wasn't excatly in the position you mentioned but i did find it.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Ellen Cordeaux

Adeon Writer

5 years before VRChat was nothing but a twinkle in an anime girl’s eye, I suggested LL should add to SL:

-Real-time mirrors
-VR support
-Live mocap support

I stressed the supper importance in particular of mirrors

Not only that, the mirror code another person offered them was the *same exact code* VRchat now has, and it was offered to LL for free. They rejected it because it does not work on curved surfaces, and they promptly didn’t use anything else instead.

Worked for VRchat just fine and remains it’s most used feature.

• 1Like

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
To be honest, I don't think that mirrors ain't important as long as SL does not support VR.
When I want to see how I look, I just use the cams to see and inspect me from the desired angle.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
5 years before VRChat was nothing but a twinkle in an anime girl’s eye, I suggested LL should add to SL:

-Real-time mirrors
-VR support
-Live mocap support

I stressed the supper importance in particular of mirrors

Not only that, the mirror code another person offered them was the *same exact code* VRchat now has, and it was offered to LL for free. They rejected it because it does not work on curved surfaces, and they promptly didn’t use anything else instead.

Worked for VRchat just fine and remains it’s most used feature.
I really don’t see why we don’t have a VR or 3D viewer of some sort. I dimly recall a university was working on it and then dropped it.

Built in support for mocap would fascinate a lot of people.

Adeon Writer

I really don’t see why we don’t have a VR or 3D viewer of some sort. I dimly recall a university was working on it and then dropped it.

Built in support for mocap would fascinate a lot of people.
Linden supported VR during the Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2 days, but by the time the full version of the Rift came out, they abandoned it. CV1 never worked in SL.

Right now the two most popular VRPC headsets are Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. They require the game in question be on the Oculus Store or Steam platforms, respectively. Second Life is present on neither, and I suspect this requirement is why LL abandoned VR for SL.

They had no problem listing Sansar on both, though.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Vaelissa Cortes

SL Rez
the mirror code another person offered them was the *same exact code* VRchat now has
Can you elaborate a bit more on this part? Mirror code itself is written with the same basic principle, so that part isn't particularly noteworthy, especially since it just sounds like planar reflections. The emphasis does make me curious though if there's more of a story behind it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
I would like to see the system avatar mesh tweaked to rectify some of the untidy bits, but without interfering with the application of existing textures. Also I'd like an update allowing arms and feet to be textured differently for each side - e.g. for tattoos (not that I have any myself!). A few more sliders would be useful, so you could set your avatar's basic stance before applying an AO - things like whether arms hang straight down or hang outwards a bit, which would be useful for plump avatars (not that I'm plump myself!).

Another thing that would be good would be to have a built-in land rental option. So as well as setting your land for sale, you could set it for rent. You'd be able to set the amount and time period. There could even be inbuilt protection for tenants - so if you default on your tier and the land reverts to Governor Linden, the tenant can still stay there until the end of their paid-up rental period.,

The introduction of jellydolls has helped reduce avatar complexity and I think this could be extended by enabling land owners to set a maximum avatar complexity for people visiting their land. Then either over-complex avatars would be prevented from entering or they would automatically be seen as jellydolls by everyone else.

• 1Love

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
An elevator.

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Big scripts and better ground maps. Everything else I am actually kinda happy with rn.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
To be honest, I don't think that mirrors ain't important as long as SL does not support VR.
When I want to see how I look, I just use the cams to see and inspect me from the desired angle.
Honestly, it seems like such a minor thing but as someone who uses Mouselook a lot, who likes that I can turn on "see myself" and see myself and someone who loves to see my own shadow in world, the idea of working mirrors seems pretty cool.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
In-world mesh editing, and more basic prim parameters including full CSG support.

Privacy zones built at a negative offset accessible through landowner controlled llTeleportAgent.

Landowner controlled llTeleportAgent.

Edited: bring back the render pipeline from update 57575!

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
1. Estate tools for parcels as I really want to change parcel textures :mad: !
2. As someone above said - ability to own small region that is akin to homestead but smaller and does not require to have a full one. Yet comes with simplified features of real one.
3. Different sort of asset limit than Land Impact - be it shared drive slot size (let us say ... 10GB) or operational memory or bandwitch.
4. Standarised avatar system with few body types - more simple and optimised than current mesh bodies but compatible with legacy clothes and with some rigged standard size system. Ideally unisex.
5. Support of none-standard skeleton.
6. Also would love that invisible option.
7. Building and editing system that is modernised and intuitive. I have not faffled much with Sansar at the start but their parcel building tools were cool.
8. Modern shaders.
9. Maybe a good asset library that comes with the client akin to some MMOs? Just to help loading times and gets users some amount of flexibility.
10. Linden sponsored events with instancing.
11. More tools and support for making interactive games within SL. For n00bs like me that is.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
You know what I would love. If parcels with ban line just flat out didn't appear/render.

Instead of getting stopped and blocked and ugly ban lines, just render it as an open space and let people pass through it as if it's an open space.

The reverse would happen too. Anyone inside the parcel, won't see anyone who is not on the access list.

This almost would serve the purpose of a micro region like Brenda mentioned above.

Anonymous/private log in would be nice too. I haven't logged in in a while but sometimes it would be nice to log in just to build or just to do some quick land management.
We really need this. The fact that there has to be a war between people who want free passage and people who want privacy is a failure. There is no good reason we can't both have what we want.

I personally think Brenda's idea of the micro sims would be easier to implement, but that's just my gut instinct without actually seeing the nuts and bolts of SL systems.

ALSO, I think it's a false dichotomy between breaking default cloths and better bodies. The simple, texture template used by default cloths should be something you can make work on any mesh bodies. You can give us much more powerful avatar meshes that still accept the default clothes templates.

• 1Agree

Adeon Writer

Just gonna pull my 2006

-custom GLSL shaders (even if custom fragment shaders are too dangerous give us pixel shaders at least) OR let us control the light ramp of the current shader in a windlight preset)
-custom skeletons/rigs
-option for image thumbnails from links in text chat
-Boolean prim linking (removes hidden internal geometry when linked, fuses Uvmaps, bakes as mesh)

• 1Thanks