What SL Features Would You Like To See Added?

Aki

SL Rez
I would like the following, and I know some ideas are not popular:
  1. Security
    1. 2FA Enabled Logins, Cashouts, etc.
    2. One verified SL account, multiple avatars. Shared L$ balance, SL Tier, Premium account status.
  2. Servers / Regions
    1. Fix the sl-service networking issues that have been crippling SL for the past 6 months.
    2. Hire more people to work on issues and develop new interesting features.
    3. Stop releasing half-assed features. Don't give up because it's hard, do it well and do it right.
    4. The ability to ban alts that LL knows for sure, even if I don't know who the alts actually are. For instance a: Ban Person (and alts) option.
    5. Raise the z axis build height limit higher.
    6. Script and Render weight limits for region owners to set for their regions.
    7. Content Blocklists. I want to ban certain creators items from my regions. Mostly crappy mesh rippers.
    8. A new region land asset? Voxel based mesh? Heightmaps suuuck.
    9. The ability to "paint" on land, instead of this BS texture blending that is literally different for every person and every login.
  3. Marketplace
    1. Rebuild the Marketplace front end to be more functional and user friendly. It's an infuriating hard to use trash fire.
    2. Only Payment Info on File can post to the Marketplace.
    3. Gacha resales need their own category on the MP.
    4. The ability for residents to flag an item for LL to review, for instance obvious IP issues. (Yeah I know safe harbor, blah, blah. But LL can invent a system that works with the law. Look at youtubes infuriating BS, and they work within the law.)
      1. The ability for LL to revoke peoples ability to flag items, for instance constant abuse.
      2. Flagged items need a TON of info including evidence about what they're being flagged for. Incomplete flags should be ignored.
      3. Once an item is flagged, message the creator and ask them to show proof they have the right to use IP, but keep the item listed for X days.
      4. If X days pass and no proof is provided, delist it.
  4. Customer Service / Marketing
    1. I would like to see LL interact with the SL community more. Warframe does a great job with this hosting devstreams and update previews. People get FUCKING EXCITED for it. I want to be that excited for SL all the time.
    2. I genuinely miss Torley and his enthusiasm about Second Life. Bring Torley back.
    3. Canned responses need to go when replying to tickets. They feel distant an impersonal. I also find it makes whoever handling it seem lazy, and like they don't fully read what has happened when I've filed a ticket. I wouldn't say this, if this were not the case I've had to endure multiple times. I've filed tickets, and had to refile/reopen them for someone to comprehend what I was trying to explain because it doesn't fit with ticket options.
    4. Bring back phone support for premium accounts. Again, forcing everyone to file a ticket for an issue doesn't work. There's very limited options when filing a ticket and the presented options are hard to navigate, and are sometimes like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
  5. Viewer
    1. Incorporate some useful 3rd party features, like area search, and builder-helping tools.
    2. Perhaps have a light weight viewer for people who aren't creators? No build stuff is there, just the ability to move, rotate, and resize things.
    3. Bring some of that Sansar rendering engine to the viewer, don't let all that work go to waste. Re-purpose what you have invested so much in to make SL better.
    4. Build Pane Options:
      1. llSetText() without a script.
      2. Mirror Object
      3. Visual llSitTarget() positions
      4. Particle Builder?
    5. Incorporate an ultra simplified mesh builder into the viewer (maybe voxels again). Bring people back into SL and encourage people to hangout inworld while they work.
    6. REMOVE WEB PROFILES FROM THE VIEWER.
I mostly agree with you, but have a few comments:
- As it stands, build height limits are probably as high as they need to go without them fixing prim drift (which will probably never happen, due to it being a rounding issue). They would also need to fix rigged mesh getting corrupted when uploaded at high altitude. Granted, prim drift is less of an issue now that many people just upload mesh, but it's important to note that uploading at height can affect content creation negatively, and this has always been true the farther away you build from 0,0,0.
- Most actual Youtubers would argue YT's system is not very well implemented and widely subject to abuse from many directions. Many are still contending with YT regularly to maintain ad revenue (see: Adpocalypse) or even simply to keep their videos available, even when they don't use infringing components.
- Realistically, I doubt LL takes IP infringement seriously, except when it comes to reports and take-down requests made specifically by the original content creator. They are doing the bare minimum to maintain safe harbour. It's pretty much just 'Cover Your Ass'. It's not difficult to find cases where this has been the case - I can recall at least a couple of instances where feature demo content (uploaded by Lindens) appeared that could not have been legitimately licensed OR when places were featured (by Lindens) which also blatantly infringed on content that clearly wasn't licensed for use here. All the game rips just stick around because the companies from which they originate either a) don't know these items are here or b) think SL is not worth their time. In the mean time, their presence dilutes the content actual SL content creators produce and based on the level of action taken at this time, there is nothing legitimate content creators can do about it. A culture change needs to happen before this will improve. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to occur, whether Linden-side or Resident-side, simply because each group either a) doesn't know any better or b) doesn't care.

• 1Useful
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Aki

SL Rez
Fix the freaking basic avatar. If it breaks content, then it breaks content - because, well, a lot of other things have already broken content of mine anyway. Seconding or thirding the pbr materials.
I wonder what percentage of active users still insist upon the system av? Men have had to deal with that abysmal system mesh for so freaking long that the clear choice is to use a mesh body from the start. Corrective mesh are now available, even if their quality and efficiency widely vary.

I'd be okay with seeing a System Av 2.0, completely separate from the original one, though. More naturalistic geometry. Asymetrical limb UVs are extremely overdue , along with various other UV issues that never should have made it past QC.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I wonder what percentage of active users still insist upon the system av? Men have had to deal with that abysmal system mesh for so freaking long that the clear choice is to use a mesh body from the start. Corrective mesh are now available, even if their quality and efficiency widely vary.

I'd be okay with seeing a System Av 2.0, completely separate from the original one, though. More naturalistic geometry. Asymetrical limb UVs are extremely overdue , along with various other UV issues that never should have made it past QC.
That's more or less what I meant by fix it. Make a new one, with better geometry, better UV, materials.

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Khamon is totally system av but doesn't mind recreating himself if necessary.

• 1Like
Reactions: Aki

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Make it easier to create semi-transparent clothing, so that when the robot zombie apocalypse finally occurs we can stop it by wearing sexy underwear. Their cheap, mass-produced on-board graphics processors would just simply melt and self destruct, with little wiffs of smoke coming from their ears.

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I use the system avatar about half the time. For outfits that I like best with a very small bust in a tight fitting top, I haven't seen anything better. There may be, of course, but I've not found any. The most frustrating part about the system avatar for me is shoes, ever since the alpha "fix" that broke most shoes that relied on the alpha bug. It's a problem only for open toed sandal footed heels; I went through several iterations trying to get a satisfactory alpha mask for one favorite pair and I'm still not satisfied with it but I have no time for such anymore. My TMP mesh avatar's feet fit these problem sandals perfectly, so I'm reconciled.

I use the system avatar head nearly all the time. I've seen no demo mesh heads that add nice features without subtracting the things I like about my system head.

I'd love to be able to draw on the system avatar while in the viewer. I've got tools that do it outside of the viewer, but then there's uploading and discovering that Appearance stretching changed things. Maybe it's all gotten better with better tools; I haven't done it in at 10 years at least.

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
As someone who has bought and made a lot of system clothes, I don't mind them becoming obsolete for the sake of a new default system avatar. Most people seem to have moved onto mesh anyway, or at least enough of the shoppers that system clothing is hard to find unless you buy content that's now several years old. They break old content a lot (scripts the most often?) and I don't see why system clothing should be immune. And honestly it's hard enough to create clothing now with all the mesh bodies you'd have to rig for, so it's not like they can make it much worse.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

I still use the default avatar on my toons that got a really good skin before I logged out for a while.

The real barriers to entry to mesh, for me, are not just the cost but also lack of standardization and variety. If you don’t know where to find what you like and put it together, learning how just looks like work. It’s just too much work to give up a Classic avatar after putting so much into it.

But if there was a standardized new avatar and a good shopping ecology built around it, I could switch.

I’m not a fan of the current pop tart look that dominates so much SL fashion. There isn’t much counterculture and there isn’t enough everyday normcore. There really is not a lot of variety in subtypes of people, by regional looks. I don’t want to be a nineteen year old blonde in booty shorts. Blah.

Aki

SL Rez
As someone who has bought and made a lot of system clothes, I don't mind them becoming obsolete for the sake of a new default system avatar. Most people seem to have moved onto mesh anyway, or at least enough of the shoppers that system clothing is hard to find unless you buy content that's now several years old. They break old content a lot (scripts the most often?) and I don't see why system clothing should be immune. And honestly it's hard enough to create clothing now with all the mesh bodies you'd have to rig for, so it's not like they can make it much worse.
It's worth noting that, with bakes on mesh, system clothing is about to regain some relevance - at least with those mesh bodies which still use the same UV layout. How long it'll take for this to kick in is the question... but I'd rather it arrive unrushed than full of bugs.

• 1Love

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I use a system body. I have a dozen or so outfits in mesh, that fit. And as I said elsewhere, I buy a clean shirt and jeans for the major holidays, and that's it.
Let the fashionistas fiddle with appliers, huds, magic spells and whatever they think is needed to dress up their puppet.
I'm doing just fine with what I have to dress mine.
As long as LL keeps this non compatible fashion junk with all these workarounds in place, I work with what I have: A bunch of folders with for almost every occasion at least one outfit.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

:LOL: lol

Open the group's profile.
General Tab --> My group settings (on bottom lower left) --> Untick 'Receive group instant messages'. Click SAVE.

Voila!
You should be aware that not every TPV is implementing this feature; in fact for example Black Dragon does not because its author considers this an ugly hack and is of the opinion that LL should solve that problem instead.

RealVioletWitch

Randomly Awkward
SL Rez
Still waiting on the account name change feature they announced last year. That's really the only new feature we're interested in.

• 1Thanks

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
You should be aware that not every TPV is implementing this feature; in fact for example Black Dragon does not because its author considers this an ugly hack and is of the opinion that LL should solve that problem instead.
I am well aware that not all viewers do all the things.

I ASKED Kalel what viewer he was using and commented that this option was available on Firestorm, to which Kalel replied rather enthusiastically 'Where is it???'.

Maybe read both sides of a convo before commenting next time bruh. 🙄