What is your favorite (Winter holiday of preference) feasting meal dish?

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
On christmas all I eat is ham 'cuz everything else is gruss, like broccoli casarole and stuff like that.
Did you know that the best way I know how to keep a ham moist is to smear it with a secret ingredient before baking....

mayo

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I AM NOT SMEARING A HONEY BAKED HAM WITH MAYO!!!!!!
The honey goes on in the last 45 minutes, the ham just absorbs the mayo and doesn’t dry out, kind of like oil but sticks better. I do use it to grease baked things pretty often...but yeah...teasing youuuuu too, gotcha.

Sid that sounds so yummy! I’m hoping one of our friends has some venison for me, it’s really good in the mincemeat.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I don't know how this started, I may have blocked the memory, but every late fall, usually around or just after Thanksgiving here in the U.S., people - family, my friends, a few connections I still maintain with my mother's co-workers - begin asking me if I'll be making stromboli to distribute around to everybody this xmas.

So stromboli is not my favorite.

Probably some kind of pie. Or maybe turkey with stuffing or ham with stuffing or just stuffing. As a kid, I found a simple bowl of good turkey or chicken stuffing was a delight.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Turkey and all of the fixings for sure. I would eat that every holiday if given the choice. I make apple pie, pumpkin pie and blueberry pie from scratch as well as fudge (My family has a very strong sweet tooth). On Christmas morning I will do either pancakes or waffles for everyone. For Christmas dinner I do both turkey and ham (ham for those who like it. I don't touch it, but I do like the leftovers cold on a sandwich).

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
So many things!

I love the autumn/winter drinks like pumpkin spice everything, mulled wine, hot buttered rum, and egg nog. I love the traditional Cuban Noche Buena feast of a pig roast. I love a delicious chocolatey Yule log dessert.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I don't care about winter feasts but some of my family does and my best friend really does. Thanksgiving needs to be traditional wih turkey, stuffing, cranberry and the like. Christmas is less important food wise.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I'm like many of the others here, I'm a Thanksgiving person. I absolutely :love: a good turkey dinner. And, since it's once a year, I indulge on dark meat. It is sooo good! Turkey, stuffing, mashed taters with gravy, green bean casserole, and finish it off with pumpkin pie. I'm kinda meh on cranberry sauce, though.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I don't care about winter feasts but some of my family does and my best friend really does. Thanksgiving needs to be traditional wih turkey, stuffing, cranberry and the like. Christmas is less important food wise.
I kind of lump the holidays after Halloween through New Year’s Day together into what I’ve come to think of as the Meatmas Feasts because in my primary family that was the discussion center, which meats to have. Turkey for Thanksgiving obviously, the men in the family who hunted deer and elk would get a turkey tag and hunt a bird too...but often a ham could join in if we were having guests. When I referred to the mayo above it was indeed to tease Darnk but it’s true that it keeps a big ham shoulder moist until it’s time to glaze it. There’s heat and eat ham and then there’s bone-in ham that needs prep and actual cooking...I prefer the taste and texture of the latter. I’m probably ‘speaking’ to a group here that over 1/2 of you have cooked the latter many times though *grin*.

One time my grandmother did Cornish game hens for Thanksgiving and it was yummy but more trouble than it was worth she said, “and people like turkey just as well”...Christmas meant another turkey and sometimes a goose or rack of lamb additionally as my grandfather liked both, my grandmother did not so this was usually the only time she’d consider cooking either...then ham for New Year’s Day though duck could make an appearance too depending on who was hosting. If it was just a few people, sometimes we had a steak and baked potato for New Years. Black-eyed peas = luck if eaten on New Years Day.

My mother did not like cleaning the shot out of or dressing small game birds so we rarely had quail, dove or pheasant but I love quail. She never taught me to do it either, but I ordered quail recently and it was stuffed and dressed so that only the leg and wing bones were left. Which was easy to eat compared to the fried halves usually served and eaten like fried chicken. Later years and other people meant posole, tamales, a pork roast, enchiladas, stuffed savory sopaipillas, empanadas, menudo...oysters, pork chops and hoppin’ John with greens and Johnnycake for New Years.
Lots of people, lots of memories tied to these foods, some good, some bad, all satisfying.

I’m not sure yet what I’ll cook this year, I’ve gone traditional and then the opposite, fed small groups and large.
This year it’s my fiancé and myself alone so we can do as we like! Yumyum 🍖🍗🍤🥩

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That all looks really delish, eku zhong

Also for New Year’s and really any cold winter night, we like Raclette. 2 cheeses, usually I make saffron rice 50/50 with riced cauliflower instead of the traditional taters. And we add more pickled things on the side. My Sweetie has started in on his eggnog drinking already. He drinks it plain with no booze. I like Cherry Coke Zero. Or Absinthe + water or a Cocktail Suissesse

Caliandris

SL Rez
Joined SLU
2006?
I have always preferred lunch on Boxing day, which at my mother's house usually consisted of cold turkey, cold ham, cheeses, pickles, salad, my own signature dish of cold pasta salad with peppers and bacon (with a vegan variation for my niece) and crisps. It's my favourite meal of the year, and has traditionally been followed by my mother's whisky bread and butter pudding, white chocolate mousse, and trifle. Sadly, my mother isn't here to provide those this year, and so I am going to have to provide instead my own speciality of french apple tart with sweet pastry and probably trifle and some kind of diabetic-friendly pudding for my ex-husband.

Last edited:

Caliandris

SL Rez
Joined SLU
2006?
That all looks really delish, eku zhong

Also for New Year’s and really any cold winter night, we like Raclette. 2 cheeses, usually I make saffron rice 50/50 with riced cauliflower instead of the traditional taters. And we add more pickled things on the side. My Sweetie has started in on his eggnog drinking already. He drinks it plain with no booze. I like Cherry Coke Zero. Or Absinthe + water or a Cocktail Suissesse
Oh oh! I forgot my recipe for a Christmas morning smoothie: a measure of advocaat, frozen banana, cream, ice cream, whizzed in a blender. It's amazing.