What is your earliest memory of Second Life?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
What is your earliest memory of Second Life such as how you heard of it?

As I recall (it's been so long) I saw a mention of Second Life buried in the comments of some article on Slashdot. Then shortly thereafter there was a front page article on their site about Second Life. Back then Slashdot was a major site for technically related stuff (still around but a shell of its former self). I got inspired to call Linden Lab and tell them the news. Someone answered the phone and said just a second. She told Philip "We made Slashdot!" and there was a cheer.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I am not sure how I heard of SL. Kotaku maybe, but I think that may have been how I heard about OpenSIM. Or whatever it's pretty coursor was. I have a screen shot somewhere running a super early version of that.

In world I have some vague memories of wandering some and I have a fondness for the Waterhead welcome area since my Avatar was "born" there.

I have a very ugly set of prim glasses I made back in like 2006 because I couldn't find any glasses. At least not that I could afford. It was like the first or second thing I ever made. That and a pencil to wear behind my ear because I was building things and I wanted to "look smart".

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Walked past Jarod Godel’s desk in November 2003 and asked what he was doing.

Jarod: Building a house (in Lusk ha ha ha)

Khamon: WHAT IS THAT 1/

J: Second Life - I sent you the link

K: k

J: We might be able to use it in E-Learning

K: clickity clickity click bird beach ball

K: How do I fly?

J: F

K: whoosh whoosh no way ZOMG Yes

Robert Jung

Back in 2006 I read an article in a print magazine about business, education, national embasises, building and science fiction worlds! Later I found about Sl's secret adult side ;)

I joined, but my computer just didn't have what was needed, so I had to wait 2 years for a better PC. I was very confused about how SL worked but the SLU technical "experts" got me through the first months.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I stumbled on adult content after walking through a wall in Pendari’s house about three weeks in. Walking through the wall was freaky enough but then there, well, she’s not here so. But that’s when I realized there was a difference between PG and R sims.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I honestly can't remember how I first learned about Second Life. But my earliest memories involving hanging out at Ahern with KirstenLee Cinquetti.

Well, okay....more like, hanging out at Ahern "at the same time as" KirstenLee Cinquetti. But it was fun. He and his friends would be chatting in voice and I'd be standing there listening, and observing the other noobs.

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
It was a long weekend.. on the Friday yure's bro had introduced us to SL.. we were totally smitten... that sometime on Sunday I stood up to have a wee/make some coffee and fainted because we hadn't eaten or slept all weekend.
But at some time during that hazy weekend, we somehow ended up, with a group of other Japanese we had met, at Neva Naughty's and were standing around an anatomically correct horse (with which some stranger was erm.. interacting) and having a deep conversation about the best way to eat basashi

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I stumbled on adult content after walking through a wall in Pendari’s house about three weeks in. Walking through the wall was freaky enough but then there, well, she’s not here so. But that’s when I realized there was a difference between PG and R sims.
Pendari Lorenz, is she still around?

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I can't recall the precise moment I became aware of SL. I know it was some time in 2003/2004 and it was probably a magazine article, or the result of googling (possibly "yahooing") virtual worlds and mmos, a subject that I'd been interested in since screwing around with a Meridian 59 demo in the late 90s.

In-world however, I've some definite memories of my first day. There was a castle where the walking and inventory tutorials took place, and then a parrot that you could talk to. There was also a weird office block structure when you learnt to fly. I also remember being surprised to discover the SL avatar didn't have stapled on undies.

Eli KittyWitch

SL Rez
One of those fundie X-tian magazines, there was an article about SL and the author was saying how he felt like a god because he could modify his forehead and so SL was evil or something like that. It just made me want to join (with an account I later lost). I think that was back in 2007 (edit) 2010.

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
It was an article in a local newspaper in march 2007 about that virtual world where you could create your own dreams.
I just had to give that a go.
Result: for about 5 years totally addicted. I still remember the horror Wednesday evenings during the first years, when LL used those to bang on things, always during the prime time hours in Western Europe. :anger:
Now, I enjoy using the grid every now and then.

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Can't remember how I first heard of it, but, my first clear memory was logging in the client. My sad excuse for a computer rendered whatever was coming up at 0.4FPS. After seeing segments of what might be a dragon after a whole minute, I was all 'screw this!' and uninstalled it. (-_-)

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
I don't remember where I first heard about Second Life, it was all voer the news at that time.

But I do remember my first experience in SL. I registered an account, logged on and was thrown right into a huge "Pimp Your Avatar" shopping mall. Walls filled with vendors, everything cost LIndens and I wasn't going to spend anything there before I knew a little bit more about this thing. I tried to talk to some of the other people in the mall but nobody replied so I logged on after a few minutes.

It took almost ten years before I tried again.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
i saw an Ad about it in 2005 probably on some gaming site but it wasn't til 2006 when i was already in college that i signed up for it . it was an article on ashe chung and making money playing video games.

unforunately i fell for it and over time got addicted to shopping and making avies. i've not made any money. but i've become amateur at using photoshop and i guess somewhat decent fashion sense...

Clinton

I first heard about Second Life on the news. It must have been a slow news day or something. I checked it out and thought this is the supidest thing I've ever seen and logged off. Then 8 or 9 months later I got an email from Linden Labs about the great things on Second Life. I had long forgotten my first login info, so created another account and tried it again. I've been hooked on it since.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Pendari Lorenz, is she still around?
Pendari left SL in 2006 I believe it was. Several of us met in ATL August, 2005, and she talked about spending too much time online that should be devoted to her family and friends. She had friends online as well and that was a struggle.

We all understand how easy it is to fall down the rabbit hole. Pendari logged in a few times after that, for birthday parties and such, but eventually didn’t. Her land sat empty for quite a while then was recovered as abandoned.

Maybe she’ll visit one day and say hello and talk about old times.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My husband said to me ""Hey, check this out"! So we did, we rezzed in together and created our avatars. Someone gave me a free cat which I hooked to my ankle so it would follow me everywhere. My first build was a little house and garden on a sheer cliff on a tiny piece of land. One of the old time animal creators (Higbee Protagonist) dropped off an eagle and some other animals to me which made me so happy! None of the animals were animated in those days. I exceeded my prim allotment at one point and got taxed, then very shortly after that they went to the system they have now.

Edited to say that I just went and looked and I still have Higbee's eagle in my SL Everglades.

Last edited:

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
My earliest memory of Second Life is a friend of mine showing me screenshots of SL back in 2002-2003 or so. I was...not impressed and didn't bother looking into it any further until a few years later.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think I read about it in Dan Savage.
I am an old-fashioned paper and dice RPG'er. I was playing then - still am - a character in a SF game - GDW's 2300 - who is from the Isle of Skye, named Siobhan Beathag MacLeod. I thought it would be fun to be in this virtual world and be like Siobhan. She is short, with ginger hair and freckles. I wanted to take the name Siobhan, but that wasn't available with any of the Gaelic surnames. So I became Beathag. I may well still be the only Beathag in SL. (Beathag means "child of life" (feminine - a male would be Beathan) in Scots Gaelic. I'm still short, freckled, and have ginger hair.