What is "VR Ready"?

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
What is "VR Ready"? What makes Sansar VR Ready and SL not? What feature is missing, what feature did they give up developing for SL? Is it just two separate renders from a camera position a few inches apart?

Vaelissa Cortes

SL Rez
The two different camera positions is one thing, yes, that is a madatory requirement for a VR headset.

FPS is another very important thing, if FPS isn't high enough it becomes sickness inducing and all around a very bad time for your head. The standard goal for VR is 90FPS at all times for an ideal experience, which just isn't going to happen with Second Life. This is both due to the truly awful base code, and the fact that the majority of content creators produce items so unoptimized I can only list off a few shops whose items would not be laughed out of even the worst game studios.

Third, and this is a big problem with SL, is you need a consistent scale for the world for any sort of proper immersion. It might not be so bad with some kind of peoper third person mode, Lucky's Tale was super neat, but I think first person mode is more suitable for something like SL.

I have tried SL's Oculus client, and it had such a long way to go. It got such a bad response LL pulled it and now pretends it doesn't exist.

Adeon Writer

Mostly it's about the interaction. Playing 3D game in VR that was not meant for VR is very boring. You're just looking at a virtual TV, playing the game on a virtual monitor by pointing your hand at the screen to control the mouse.

And if the game uses a keyboard, you still need one.

Jorus Xi

What is "VR Ready"? What makes Sansar VR Ready and SL not? What feature is missing, what feature did they give up developing for SL? Is it just two separate renders from a camera position a few inches apart?
VR has FPS requirements (mainly as nausea defense) that you pretty much need to get close to hitting unless you want your playerbase horking chunks every 15 minutes. On top of the SL client being a giant optimized CPU hogging piece of shit, you have a secondary problem if 100% not vetted by an optimization team or auto optimized assets being used insanely inappropriately by moron content creators. When someone makes a 1024x whatever texturemap and puts it on something say, the size of a wedding ring, your client has to first download, and then push to a rendering pipe a texture map that is way way inappropriate for the size of the thing it's on. Even 6 years ago you could tear apart some hair and find each strand had a texture map the size of your monitor, and a mix of this and crazy ass prim twisting physics meant someone with the fanciest hair in the room could literally shred frame rates just by rezzing in.

Arguably you could fix this by jelly babying (I only recently found out this was a thing btw) people above a certain draw weight, but the end result of that en-devour would be you in VR, surrounded by Jelly Babies, then somebodies flower pot would render in glorious 4k textures and light your computer on fire. Then you'd throw up on it.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Chin Rey

Jorus Xi

Mind you, I know absolutely nothing about Sansar but I'm willing to bet that they downsample the hell out of user uploaded textures to keep it playable in VR.

Adeon Writer

45 FPS minimum, and I mean that. You want 90 FPS at all times, but 45 is the minimum for it to still feel like you're in a virtual space instead of watching a choppy screen glued to your face.

But it's not about framerate - you also need hands and a body. If you don't have hands that can interact with the world, and other people can see you moving around, VR is pointless.

That's why SL's VR support was pointless. in SL VR, I was just a ghost standing next to my avatar. No one could see me. Even if they looked at my avatar, I wouldn't have known, they're in third person just alt-camming.