What is the max Avatar Complexity you will Render?

What is your avatar AC limit to render AT MOST for a performance?

• Under 50k

• 51-75k

• 76-100k

• 101-125k

• 126--150k

• 151k-175k

• 176-200k

• 201-250k

• Unlimited/maxed

• Other, I'll post in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
Hello all! Some of you may know I'm active in several performance groups requiring costuming so I have a technical question about your avatar complexity rendering settings. Every answer helps me in making my recommendations on costuming.
Obviously it's a case where I will often want the most fabulous costumes we can manage for a role but sometimes they creep up in complexity.

It's a different situation than fashion walking around the public grid because we are a company owned destination with a specialized purpose that people choose to come and see.
So I'm wondering if that would be a circumstance that would warrant asking people to adjust their AC numbers upwards in order to see more complex costuming. I'm learning all the time what better and more efficient meshes are and why complexity is high (often on older full avatars) and ways to still look fab, keep the budget but avoid the high numbers. we already do NOT use mesh bodies or major body parts so thankfully that big mess is avoided.

What is your default, do you change it and if so to what maximum?
Will you raise it for a performance or special circumstance?
Thoughts on AC for performance or special events requiring costumes.

Please choose a poll answer and/or elaborate in the comments about why you will/won't render higher numbers in this circumstance of attending a costumed performance, regardless of your everyday setting. Advice is also welcome on your expectations for performance situations like these, I'm all ears.

:angel:Thank you so much:angel:to anyone and everyone who replies, it's really helpful for me to get this feedback!

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I normally don't limit it unless I have a performance problem, and even then I'm reluctant to go below 200k because most of the pre-bento quadruped avatars are near that even without add-ons like collars and stuff.

The exact same avatars rigged for bento a fraction of the original version, which tells me that the avatar complexity calculations skew heavily towards bovine exhaust.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Risotto and Fauve Aeon

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
When I need to see a specific avatar with a very high count I'll right click and Render Fully.

That might work for your purposes if you have a meet the models prior to the show or a first walkthrough for the click.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I use the default settings of the viewer, I think. Normally I don't bother with that kind of stuff.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Fauve Aeon

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My avatar LOD is zero with 20k max complexity. That works for me because I'm using an Intel video chip and want to devote most of the rendering to the landscape. In fairness, my most complex avatar has a reading of 4086, and Khamon is only 1000 even when wearing the fancy vest Jopsy gave him long ages ago.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sid which viewer do you use and what's the default if you don't mind me asking?
Kamilah Hauptmann thsts been suggested and I think I'll bring it up again, meet and greets are fun. I'm wondering if the full rendering sustains once we cross into the adjacent performance sim and through costume changes, must test. Even an open rehearsal could allow people to click and render the dancers fully if it persists.
Khamon what would you do at a performance where everyone was a jelly doll and not displaying correctly?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm at the standard viewer and Avatar Maximum Complexity is set to 250000. Pretty much certain that is the standard number.

• 1Like

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If there are not many people, I can tune the complexity up and possibly render all, or I right click and fully render the performers.

• 1Thanks

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I set it to 11.
Nearest eleven avatars rendered? I'm not sure 11 is a complexity setting value unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I normally don't limit it unless I have a performance problem, and even then I'm reluctant to go below 200k because most of the pre-bento quadruped avatars are near that even without add-ons like collars and stuff.
Same for me. I have a couple of friends who have some older furry avatars that have 200k+ render costs.

• 1Thanks

Charlie Callaghan

Always Lurking
SL Rez
My computer is getting old. I have my graphics set at medium/low, draw distance at 32, and in low traffic areas, avatar complexity is 100,000 or less. In high traffic areas, I'll lower complexity until performance gets better. If necessary, I'll fully render one or two people over my limit. If it's a particularly bad day, I'll use Firestorm's "Show Friends Only" feature.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
When visiting events - I have it on 1K and 1 avatar visible :| . Normally it is unlimited as I do not attend any avatar-heavy places besides those events. However, I used to so I'd presume it'd be 250K hence voted this way. My computer is fine with anything SL throws at me but not my internet connection :p .

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I checked some costumes at rehearsal tonight and they are for a piece with 3-5 dancers and individual complexity is hovering between 112k and 125k. I’m going to check individuals and see if I can get any non-essentials stripped off. Eye shine here, scripted hud there, copy and de-script the hair if we can, etc etc.

Tris

busy pushing buttons
Joined SLU
02-19-2011
SLU Posts
Normally i leave everything on default. The only time i actually do restrict other peoples drawing weight is when i visit (or try to visit) an event/sim that is full.
Then i switch to my "leave me alone for shopping" mode. Which means i render only avatars who are below 1k drawing weight. Which of course means no one ;)
Also i change a few other settings at the same time.

• 1Thanks

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
Unlimited. If you went to all that trouble to pull together an outfit, I want to see it! (And I have a powerful enough computer, and fast enough internet bandwidth, to be able to do this.)

I do have one outfit that I love to wear that, with all its attachments, comes to over 500,000 ARC. But I don't wear it very often.

• 1Like

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I do have one outfit that I love to wear that, with all its attachments, comes to over 500,000 ARC. But I don't wear it very often.
ZOMG and I walk around in SL with a complexity of 14035.

• 1ROFL

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I normally keep mine in the 100K - 150K range. If I'm taking pictures at an event I may have to adjust it for individual avatars, but not that often. If I'm at an event where the performer(s) are higher, I usually only adjust if people are commenting on what they're wearing and I'm curious, lol. I really haven't been anywhere where the attire or costumes are essential to the experience. Maybe I'm missing out!

• 1Like