What do you observe for supplies of food and other necessities on supermarket shelves?

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I got my shopping done & made it back home. The only bad part of the trip was that my lil hound decided he couldn't wait till we got home to pee so he peed on the passenger truck seat! It's supposed to be hot the next 4 days so that'll really stink by the weekend. *sighs*
This stuff. Amazing. We had a major cat accident that was all my fault and not his, and I thought this rug would need replacing. But, this fixed it.
ANGRY ORANGE Enzyme Stain Cleaner & Pet Odor Eliminator, Dog & Cat Urine Destroyer for Floors & Carpet

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Rice and beans are perpetually out of stock around here.
Ramen noodles are low, too. Because it's cheap and easy to make. Lysol, bleach, hydrogen peroxide as expected. Vinegar - although it doesn't kill covid - is out. Guess that's a misconception. Hand soap, hand sanitizer as always. Paper products are extremely low, although I'm finding that Aldi is doing a good job at resupplying.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Ramen noodles are low, too. Because it's cheap and easy to make. Lysol, bleach, hydrogen peroxide as expected. Vinegar - although it doesn't kill covid - is out. Guess that's a misconception. Hand soap, hand sanitizer as always. Paper products are extremely low, although I'm finding that Aldi is doing a good job at resupplying.
Vinegar is out because people who normally use other cleaners they can't get are starting to use it (and starting to realize it cleans things pretty well for a fraction of the price). Of course, it doesn't disinfect very well.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Vinegar is out because people who normally use other cleaners they can't get are starting to use it (and starting to realize it cleans things pretty well for a fraction of the price). Of course, it doesn't disinfect very well.
I used a paste of vinegar and baking soda to help clean the kitchen before I moved into this house. The tenants who were renting it previously moved out under "suspicious circumstances" - they left a lot of stuff behind, no forwarding address, and didn't bother cleaning. It worked well to remove stains on the sinks and inside the fridge and other hard surfaces.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Vinegar is also a great preservative. People who have extra in the garden can pickle things to preserve them. Lots of things can be pickled even eggs. I have some extra carrots and jalapeños right now so this weekend I'm going to use my bath canner to make some escabeche which can be eaten with so many different dishes. I haven't whipped out the bath canner in a good 10 years. I'm also going to start experimenting with fermentation pickling.

I also think I'm watching too damn much youtube. :shiftyeyes:

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Ramen noodles are low, too. Because it's cheap and easy to make. Lysol, bleach, hydrogen peroxide as expected.
Hydrogen Peroxide shortage is a thing now? I picked up four liter bottles two months ago to act as a stop-gap sanitizer and for occasional wound treatment. Now that hand sanitizer is readily avilable in the Twin Cities, (for free, even), anyone local let me know and I'll drop it off. Really though, Target usually has some.

Last edited:
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Isabeau

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Hydrogen Peroxide shortage is a thing now? I picked up four liter bottles two months ago to act as a stop-gap sanitizer and for occasional wound treatment. Now that hand sanitizer is readily avilable in the Twin Cities, (for free, even), anyone local let me know and I'll drop it off. Really though, Target usually has some.
Peroxide kills covid. I saw a supermarket using a peroxide spray to clean carts.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
You can also, sometimes, use baking soda and vinegar to unclog drains [though its being stupidly stubborn on my kitchen drain[one side] and I'm about to let the spouse take it apart.]

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Spouse needed a lamp for his desk, and since we needed a few other things.... but no witch hazel, no saline solution and no alcohol to be found anywhere at the target - dis score a jar of yeast though [and a few other things to make myself more bath bombs]

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yesterday my local grocery store was fully stocked with bathroom tissue, back up to pre-Covid levels. Bacon was low, and definitely higher-priced, but not out. Beef was low-ish, but not unusually so. Eggs were back up to normal levels. The only shelves that were really empty were the lysol/disinfectants, those shelves have been pretty much empty since the beginning and I haven't seen them recover yet.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Went on my bi-weekly shopping trip, this time to Walmart since I was out of some items my local market doesn't carry. Found everything on my shopping list. Didn't need bathroom tissue, but checked anyway. They had about 25% of that section filled, with at least three brands. I guess this is the new normal until more people go back to work/school.

I also stopped at the bank to deposit a couple of checks. Since last month they have now gone appointment only for inside. Everything else is drive-thru, which was fine by me. Walmart now has dividers at the entrance, and the doors are in on one side, and out only on the other side. Maybe 1/3 of people had masks, so they are slacking off.

Quite predictably, since Georgia loosened the rules this month, daily cases are increasing. (graph halfway down the page). I'm not going out more than necessary until that chenges.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Still not seeing the brand-name paper goods. Some neighbors came in with big packages and I went right out to the same store, but no joy. Dish soap (for the sink) us still scarce and antibacterial anything.
Whole chickens for soup are hit-and-miss, and I didn't like the last one I got, but now that I've got my Foodi I might do it with parts anyway.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts