What do you observe for supplies of food and other necessities on supermarket shelves?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Tomorrow spouse has a pain management appt, and has to go in, and we need to pick up my anti-anxiety med too, so weekly grocery trip. Maybe I'll have at least one mask made up by then - I don't knit as fast as I did when I did it more often - having to take breaks for my wrists and hands sucks.

We're okay on TP right now, but if we spot that or paper towels, we'll prolly get a little bit more, just to be on the safe side. Especially paper towels - 5 cats and at least two of them just don't grok litterboxes.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Wow, that looks great. I've never made rye before but I do like the taste of it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Thanks Rose. It is actually around 80% rye and 20% wheat because pure rye bread is possible, but the pastry less stable on its own then.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Got my sourdough starter started today, although I did score three packets of yeast from the market. I haven't made or eaten bread for a couple of years, but I'm ready just in case.

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
I made myself one of those handkerchief face masks to use while hitting up the local store in my area. Then I drove to the store & forgot it at home. lol So I decided to be brave & get my shopping done anyway rather than driving another 20 mile round trip to go home. There weren't many people in the store & we're in the boonies so I crossed my fingers that the virus hasn't made it up this far yet. I was able to get most of what I needed which is good. I picked up a big bag of cat food because Amazon has been out of it for a month now & I'm feeding 2 neighborhood roaming cats in addition to the one that's mine. I passed on eggs since they'd gone from $2 a month ago to $6 a dozen now! They were still out of toilet paper & paper towels but I still have a bunch left from last month's Amazon purchase. And the store was still out of noodles, canned dog food, bread flour, yeast. Then I bought a bottle of whiskey (it's medicinal dammit!) & some ginger ale to go with it. They had most of the other things I wanted so I stuffed my 5 bags of groceries plus the cat food into my truck & headed home. I consider it a pretty successful mission. Gonna have a couple stiff drinks tonight while I watch a few movies & forget about this damn virus, the downward spiraling economy & anything else negative. :)

sldenizen

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My local stores have everything except toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and eggs, all of which I have learned to do without:

I have been wiping with kale, which, while not as smooth and soft as chard, is as strong as toilet paper. (And thank you, impulse to buy stuff, for impelling me to buy that bidet toilet seat a couple of years ago.)
The cashier hooked me up with a little bottle of hand sanitizer last week, and, because I never go out, I've barely used it.
I am living without omelettes, and having French breakfasts: croissant, jam, cheese, orange, coffee, or bread, jam, cheese, orange, coffee, or sometimes, crackers, jam, cheese, orange, coffee.

Disclaimer: One of those statements is not strictly true.

Robert Jung

There has been no Cream of Wheat for the last six weeks! WHO KNEW that Cream of Wheat was so popular???

SL Rez
SLU Posts
The Safeway just got hold of toilet paper. Only one kind but lots of it! They are selling 24 packs of Fiora brand, not even bothering to take them out of the cardboard shipping boxes, just loading the shelves with the unopened boxes.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I went to the grocery store earlier and was choosing potatoes, looking to make sure I had the ones on sale, double checking the sku because I didn’t want to be told at the cash that, no madame, it’s the red fingerlings not the yellow flesh, and I was only there about 30-45 seconds when I realized a man was waiting for me to move on so I startled and said, Oh sorry! But he just made a no expression face so, flustered ( because come on, you’re suppose to smile graciously when someone says sorry) I grabbed his cart and started to move away quickly and he made another face and said, that’s my cart...

Me: :freakout:

Anyway, the store was stocked.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
My local supermarket was completely out of chopped turkey as of Monday, which was frustrating because I wanted to make a casserole that requires it.
I did find a whole Bell & Evans chicken for soup.
I sight know how to figure this shortage stuff. Are the meat packing issues the same for poultry?
Curious, I looked to see if ground beef was also out. There was chopped Black Angus (expensive) and a fair amount of different cuts of meat. I rarely eat red meat but I guess I could try the Black Angus. It’s supposed to be quality stuff.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The local Hy-Vee is now enforcing a 4 package meat rule. No matter the type, you may only purchase 4 separate packages of meat.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Does anyone know when amazon will have pretty much anything?

Dancien

Ne'er-do-well
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Perishables around here go pretty quickly because people are silly. I've been stocking up on non-perishable food items and now have enough Kraft Mac and Cheese for like ever.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
We still can't find TP. Fortunately, we started with a good stockpile that we always keep on hand, but we're working our way thru that.... Must find more soon.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Sid

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I went shopping Monday and found toilet paper but only in 12 roll packs! I have so little room for storage of stuff like that I had to break it down into 3 plastic bags of 4 rolls each, and put 2 of the bags in my towel closet. Gah!

• 2LOL
Reactions: Romana and Isabeau