What do you observe for supplies of food and other necessities on supermarket shelves?

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
We still can't find TP. Fortunately, we started with a good stockpile that we always keep on hand, but we're working our way thru that.... Must find more soon.
I'm buying random stuff when I manage to find any to supplement what I have backstocked, I was in Walmart for catfood yesterday and they had a few 6-packs of cottonelle left.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I went to the Big Walmart in florida city hoping to snag stuff i couldn't get at my local one....I didn't have any luck but i was surprised the bicycle section was so empty..

Last edited:
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Free

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I went to the Big Walmart in florida city hoping to snag stuff i couldn't get at my local one....I didn't have any luck but i'm was surprised the bicycle section was so empty..

It's sort of bizarre what there's a random shortage of on any given day.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
I went grocery shopping today to my local supermarket (small but adequate). The produce section was well stocked as was the pasta section. Still no toilet paper & I'm gradually going thru the packs I bought in early March from Amazon. Amazon is still out of toilet paper, paper towels, eyedrops that I use about a dozen times a day, ibuprofen & any cold medications. Luckily I have enough eyedrops to last me a while too. It's odd but I notice that the availability of dog & cat food (canned & dry) fluctuates greatly from there being none of my pets' brands to having a small supply but much higher priced than before the virus hit.

The only other section of the grocery store where I noticed a lot of empty shelves was in the chips section. It seems that I'm not the only one with carb cravings during this trying time. I was able to nab two bags of Lays cheddar potato chips. Score!!

The one odd thing I noticed as I cruised down the grocery aisles was that there were half a dozen "skunk people" shopping. "Skunk people" are the ones you see that haven't had their hair dyed in a while so they have dark hair of various shades on the lower half with a white or grey streak down the middle where it's grown out. Only about half the shoppers wore face masks. Yes, I was one of them! At least all the staff wore masks & most wore gloves too. I got my shopping done & made it back home. The only bad part of the trip was that my lil hound decided he couldn't wait till we got home to pee so he peed on the passenger truck seat! It's supposed to be hot the next 4 days so that'll really stink by the weekend. *sighs*

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I went grocery shopping today to my local supermarket (small but adequate). The produce section was well stocked as was the pasta section. Still no toilet paper & I'm gradually going thru the packs I bought in early March from Amazon. Amazon is still out of toilet paper, paper towels, eyedrops that I use about a dozen times a day, ibuprofen & any cold medications. Luckily I have enough eyedrops to last me a while too. It's odd but I notice that the availability of dog & cat food (canned & dry) fluctuates greatly from there being none of my pets' brands to having a small supply but much higher priced than before the virus hit.

The only other section of the grocery store where I noticed a lot of empty shelves was in the chips section. It seems that I'm not the only one with carb cravings during this trying time. I was able to nab two bags of Lays cheddar potato chips. Score!!

The one odd thing I noticed as I cruised down the grocery aisles was that there were half a dozen "skunk people" shopping. "Skunk people" are the ones you see that haven't had their hair dyed in a while so they have dark hair of various shades on the lower half with a white or grey streak down the middle where it's grown out. Only about half the shoppers wore face masks. Yes, I was one of them! At least all the staff wore masks & most wore gloves too. I got my shopping done & made it back home. The only bad part of the trip was that my lil hound decided he couldn't wait till we got home to pee so he peed on the passenger truck seat! It's supposed to be hot the next 4 days so that'll really stink by the weekend. *sighs*
FWIW, I use this for cats and carpet, sometimes as a secondary to Bissel foaming carpet cleaner.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Maggy Hazelnut

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
FWIW, I use this for cats and carpet, sometimes as a secondary to Bissel foaming carpet cleaner.

The problem is that it's a thick vehicle seat with cloth covering. The pee soaks right thru the covering plus the 6" or more of foam seat. I dunno how you can clean that past the cloth covering.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Clara D.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I would heavily sprinkle with baking soda, like the whole box after wiping off as much as you can. Wait a few hours, vacuum up, then sprinkle another box and wait overnight. You probably knew this already... 💐

• 1Thanks

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
The problem is that it's a thick vehicle seat with cloth covering. The pee soaks right thru the covering plus the 6" or more of foam seat. I dunno how you can clean that past the cloth covering.
The stuff I linked is a spray that can soak in unlike a foaming upholstery cleaner that just does the surface.

• 1Thanks

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
<--------- Skunk person here. :ROFLMAO:

• 1Hug
Reactions: Clara D.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
I went to the Big Walmart in florida city hoping to snag stuff i couldn't get at my local one....I didn't have any luck but i was surprised the bicycle section was so empty..

Maybe a lot of import or factories on a hold?
We pay the price for having a just in time delivery economy.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
More human children at home rather than at school. Parents trying to get them to do stuff other than video games.
Yeah, you are probably right.
I forgot this bike shortage is in the USA.

For us in the Netherlands bikes are not toys, but mainly means of transportation.
Here there are on average as much bikes as persons in a household. So over here is only a replacement market, so no toy-run over here.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Placed an $82 order with Hy-Vee for pickup. I actually received about $30 worth of it or 1/3 of the order. The missing items were across a large range of product categories.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
More human children at home rather than at school. Parents trying to get them to do stuff other than video games.
Which involves clumping around like elephants in the apartment above me at all hours. In rollerskates.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Went out today, toilet paper is low, but there is some [it mostly seems like the assorted store brands are not available or sold out], couldn't find any large packages of chicken thighs with bones and skin, but got two smaller ones. Got some ground beef, got some of those bone country ribs.

Got veggies, and flour and other things.

No larger things of cream, but its always been a bit erratic on if they would have it. Only thing I couldn't find was yeast. This store hasn't ever run out of bread during this whole mess, but you can't get yeast.

Also, unlike our local Publix, most everyone was wearing masks, even usually properly over their nose, and about half were wearing gloves. And everyone was pretty respectful of distancing. Not sure if its because friday not saturday, or if winn dixie gets smarter/wiser clientele?

• 1Like
Reactions: Kalel

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Went on my "every two weeks" shopping trip today. Found almost everything on my list, even toilet paper, which was a bit overpriced, but hey. Only thing they were totally out of that I wanted was ramen noodles. I mostly use them as a soup starter, to which I add all kinds of veggies and meat. But I can live without them. Most people wearing masks, some with gloves. This was my local Food World here in town, which are smaller stores than Walmart or Kroger.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
This week at Albert Heijn (our leading supermarket chain): A brand toilet paper, 2 packs for the price of 1.
So I guess we are done with hording over here.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Filled my prescriptions yesterday and did a bit of shopping in that supermarket soccer it wasn't crowded. No 3-pack small cans tuna there either. Canadian bacon and Nathan's franks which I didn't see at the other store. More meat too. No paper towels, not even off brand, so the smaller store wins there. And still no chocolate creme Oreos (?).
The big supermarket had the one way aisles with arrows on the floor, which was an improvement over last time I'd been there, though I still wasn't comfortable with bring herded into one aisle to queue for the register. The squares on the floor helped people keep the right distance, but it was a narrow aisle, so kind of claustrophobic.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
The % of people wearing masks was so high that when I saw people without them I kind of stopped, starred, and pointed my finger at them while making a high pitched sound like in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Okay, I only thought of doing that.

I didn't notice anything missing, though the shelves were not packed, and the limits were still in place for certain items. For first time I saw a 'limit 2 boxes' in the cereal aisle.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Isabeau