What do you observe for supplies of food and other necessities on supermarket shelves?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I was out of touch with the world for 5 days (please don't ask why, nothing to do with coronavirus or quarantine) and decided I wanted to make chicken parmigiana. I was shocked to see there was no chicken or hamburger on the shelves. There were maybe 50 rolls of the cheapest toilet paper and there were people grabbing all they could and stuffing the last of them into their shopping carts. On the other hand, their were plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. I can only guess people didn't care about those since they couldn't freeze them. There was a sign above the chicken aisle - only two parts of a chicken per customer, but there was none to be had. The checkout person said they hadn't had any chicken for 4 days.

I imagine the shortages are different in different parts of the country. For instance the milk was fully stocked but my sister in law a 100 miles away said there was none to be had. I think this must all be due to hoarding. People can only hoard so much and their freezers will be full. In the meantime I think I will buy a bunch of beans for protein tomorrow if they are there.

This is very concerning. What are you seeing in your parts of the land? I would like to hear continuing updates should you be inclined.

[crappy quality picture, bad camera and I didn't think they would like me taking pictures in the store]

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Interesting forum choice...

Anywho, I went shopping earlier tonight and found canned goods, bread, cereal and meats sections nearly decimated, while the paper goods - toilet paper, tissues, paper towels - was completely wiped clean.

Got some decent sandwich steak, though. Not a great hamburg replacement, but nevertheless!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I was out of touch with the world for 5 days (please don't ask why, nothing to do with coronavirus or quarantine) and decided I wanted to make chicken parmigiana. I was shocked to see there was no chicken or hamburger on the shelves. There were maybe 50 rolls of the cheapest toilet paper and there were people grabbing all they could and stuffing the last of them into their shopping carts. On the other hand, their were plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. I can only guess people didn't care about those since they couldn't freeze them. There was a sign above the chicken aisle - only two parts of a chicken per customer, but there was none to be had. The checkout person said they hadn't had any chicken for 4 days.

I imagine the shortages are different in different parts of the country. For instance the milk was fully stocked but my sister in law a 100 miles away said there was none to be had. I think this must all be due to hoarding. People can only hoard so much and their freezers will be full. In the meantime I think I will buy a bunch of beans for protein tomorrow if they are there.

This is very concerning. What are you seeing in your parts of the land? I would like to hear continuing updates should you be inclined.

[crappy quality picture, bad camera and I didn't think they would like me taking pictures in the store]

Generally the usual, shelf stable foods almost nobody is touching except for those of us who know what to get for emergency supplies before our regional national disaster. Cleaning chemicals are sold out and the same for alchohol pads. Some paper things are bare shelves but oddly tissues you are fine with. Lots of random foods are gone. As much as donnie says it is not if the store has things next week. It is that the food needs to get to the people and at the same time they are telling people to stay home.

• 1Thanks

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Maybe because I live in the midst of many grocery stores and butchers, bakeries, etc. there hasn’t really been cases of whole empty shelves. They’re usually stocked the next day. We’re a port city so maybe that makes a difference? Although I heard people were having trouble finding Nutella, ha. Priorities!

I did notice that canned tomatoes and veggies, and pasta were often low.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I tried going to Walmart and ran into my housemate on her way out. She had some food, but said there was a lot of missing stuff. With no electric cart available, I just went back out.

Frys was rationing sanitizing and paper goods, and cold medicine. There was still plenty of soap! But no toilet paper. I think what is happening is that with the toilet paper gone, paper towels are the backup item. I’m pretty sure that could clog plumbing. They were also rationing bottled water and a lot of the shelf stable food was low.

The gas station had paper napkins and paper towels and I grabbed one of each. Everything else was normal.

It’s odd how vividly I remember this. Tomorrow it will rain, I might try to shop on Thursday if I go to the doctor. I still need to go to the pharmacy.

I don’t see how much social distancing we’re going to get if we have to keep going to crowded supermarkets to eat. But I can’t buy or store much at one time.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I often order online from Hy-Vee to be picked up the next day. I did so on Sunday, but no more next day was available. It pushed it out to Thursday. You pick a pick-up time by the hour..and while I was ordering my time went from morning to evening, I assume because the orders were coming in fast and furious.

I needed some basics like milk, eggs, bread in the meanwhile so hit up a store. Those items were plentiful. Naturally the paper products aisle was wiped out as was the meat section. Canned goods seemed okay, for the most part, as were some basic pantry items like sugar and flour. Many more lanes were open than usual due to demand, but lines were still very long and people were cramped up tightly in them.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I ordered from Publix through Instacart, and they were completely out of chicken and beef. I ended up buying 8 lbs of pork chops lol. Thankfully they had all the usually bougie shit I buy in stock. There hasn't been a run on baby swiss cheese yet.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
A day and a half ago Walmart was cleaned out of hotdogs, pasta, soup, all paper products. They still had some bread, yogurt, frozen foods, deli meats and lots of cereal. And the produce section looked untouched. I got some broccoli and some frozen breakfast sandwiches and some cereal and yogurt. Good thing I'm still stocked on TP because I haven't seen any in more than a week.

Caliandris

SL Rez
Joined SLU
2006?
I live in a rural town in Lincolnshire, England. Despite the government advising that people over 70 should practise social distancing, a large number were out and about in the town yesterday. On the other hand, people were crossing the street to avoid passing each other on the pavement and our only large supermarket, Tesco, was denuded of stuff on many shelves - no bread, fresh meat, canned stuff, pasta. Loo roll is out of stock in the supermarkets, although small stores still have some.

I have switched to delivery, but I am not confident that I will receive the things I order, and that inevitably leads to people buying more than they need, in case a lot of it isn't available. I have six people to feed, and also buy for the local food bank when I can. Food banks seem well supplied here, and there are three now, two "normal" food banks (that never used to be normal) and one which has been set up to support the elderly and vulnerable families. Deliveries are timed; you buy a slot and then choose the groceries. Many things on delivery are limited to one or two per order.

My son is determined to go to the supermarket this morning, and I am making him wear a mask. He has agreed to that. As far as I can see, the population is polarised into one group who think the whole thing is a joke, and another who are so panicked they are buying enough to isolate for six months.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
As the predictions of isolation duration keep growing longer, Mrs. Beebo decided she needed to stock up some more. She got early to be one of the first at the local grocery store, thinking it would be empty then. Nope, it was jam packed and pretty much everything she planned to buy was gone: milk, butter, bread. She came back loaded with cans of dog food, soup, meat, anything she thought we could use over the next few months.

I'd like to think that once the fear dies down a bit (optimistic), the supplies will be re-stocked. But we're in a new landscape now, so who knows.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Lots of paper goods are made in the PNW - but I swear there's not a roll of toliet paper to be had in Washington State.

Food is iffy. I'm doing a pick-up order via instacart today and it will be interesting to see what they still have of what I ordered.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have been to the store almost every day for like a week looking to pick up things with staggered success.

The first night was nuts. Walmart was basically stripped clean in the grocery area.

One day I hot the Kroger, took a cart, circled the store, then left the cart by the checkouts and left empty handed.

For the most part we are doing ok and have found most of what is needed. Still no Toilet Paper yet, should have bought it when I saw it at Kroger on like nite two, but I figured it would become easier to find and I had some.

I did pick up chicken this morning, which I was getting somewhat worried about. My daughter has a lot of health issues and in part of that can basically only really eat chicken and eggs. Kroger has been good on getting eggs so I managed to get several of the 18 counts but there hasn't been much chicken. I was getting to the point of looking into going to one of the smaller meat markets in the area's surrounding towns.

The stores have been getting better-ish on stock overall, but mostly on periferal foods, not so much on the meat and milk and water.

I have not seen much milk but I picked up a couple of Vitamin D gallons so things are ok there for now, even though I prefer 2%.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Our local WallyWorld has started rationing -- you can only purchase two of pretty much anything. I have no idea if it will help -- it's pretty slim pickings, and while I was doing an online order this morning (for pickup tomorrow) stuff was going out of stock almost as fast as I could add it to my cart. If they had started rationing a week ago, that might have done more good, but I'm sure people are clever enough to work around the limits.

At this rate, we may hit real ration-coupon style rationing before long. Even then, it takes time to manufacture/grow the stuff then move the stuff around the country. Producers may be hesitant to ramp up production by orders of magnitude only to find the market is already glutted, and there are only so many trucks and rail cars to transport the stuff anyway.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Publix here has reduced their hours, so I think that helps some. When I went on Sunday, it was not all that crowded, I didn't even wait in line for check out. They were out of what I call the Florida staples (stuff that flies off the shelf during a hurricane) like toilet paper, water, peanut butter, crackers and bread.

The liquor store was busier (typical Florida). I bought a couple of bottles of Vodka. I figure that when hubby and I get sick of looking at each other a drink can't hurt. To date that's never happened, but then, we've never been confined to the house for weeks together either.

I was able to buy cat litter and cat food (my little precious is now taken care of for at least a couple of months). I was also able to buy oats, beans, rice and bulgar wheat (I love tabbouleh). I just ordered some fresh things I needed on Amazon today but the first delivery available is Friday. So we shall see.

I saw a lot of grains on the shelves, so stuff like farro, bulgar wheat, quinoa, oats, corn meal, couscous, etc. Things that it's possible the average American is not sure how to cook.

I had to laugh because all the flour was gone except for several labeled "tortilla flour", which is actually just plain, white, unbleached flour. I bought two because I can easily make both bread and flour tortillas.

I'm guessing that in about two to three weeks we'll see things normalize but stores will maintain shorter hours for a while and they will have limits on the number of some items that can be purchased.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Family dollar announced the first hour of opening wil lbe for seniors only... Trades joes which normal opens at 8 is opening later to give them more time to setup.... several other are modifying thier hours and limiting the amount of products one can buy.. me and my family have been jumping between stores all week publix, aldi's, trader joes, presidente (still pumping out cuban bread as fast as they can).. it didn't matter what time of day the parking lot was full.

Rumor is the supply chains for super markets are holding, it's the trucks and stocking being unable to keep up with the surge...how much of that is true.. is anyones guess.

Super market home delivery has gone through the roof its almost impossible to find a delivery time slot via app for any store that is doing it.

in the beginning it was only cleaning supplies but now that people are accepting the fact it maybe weeks people down south are going into hurricane mode. cereal isle is starting run low. canned food is starting to go.. only expensive organic eggs left on the shelf... pamphlets on how to make your own bread is the only thing you'll find there. water can still be found oddly enough.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Central Alabama is seeing short supplies, but not running out of, milk, bread, formula, eggs, OJ, pudding mixes, frozen pizza rolls, and tp of course. The concern is that individuals are using their entire EBT balance on things that may spoil before their next reload. The two Selma food banks and Edmunite kitchen are still serving at this time but promoting social distancing as well as they can when people are queueing and eating in close quarters.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
As the predictions of isolation duration keep growing longer, Mrs. Beebo decided she needed to stock up some more. She got early to be one of the first at the local grocery store, thinking it would be empty then. Nope, it was jam packed and pretty much everything she planned to buy was gone: milk, butter, bread. She came back loaded with cans of dog food, soup, meat, anything she thought we could use over the next few months.

I'd like to think that once the fear dies down a bit (optimistic), the supplies will be re-stocked. But we're in a new landscape now, so who knows.
You mentioned dog food and that has been my worry ever since placing my order. Not dog food, but cat food. I buy it in 16lb quantities and am due for another so I ordered it with the rest of my Hy-Vee order on Sunday. I have been worrying ever since that it won't be fulfilled, especially because the order got pushed back four days.

I have looked at Amazon and so far, they still have some so I reckon that will be a backup, but even there, the timeline may well be longer than when I need it.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I believe the big pet food chains all deliver. If we run out before this is over, we plan on ordering, though I think I might suggest that we get some before then.

• 1Thanks