What do you look for in a username when creating a new avatar?

TheFantasyEffect

When you're creating an a new avatar, what do you look for in a username? When you look at other people's usernames, what are turn-offs if anything? I'm starting a new avatar and wanted some input as I'm anal about stuff like that since it is more personal.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
This is actually a tough problem. Every now and then I come across an idea for a good username on SL and check it. It's almost always taken. Eventually the selection will be limited to variations on xXxMispeldWurdzxXx.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
When I first joined SL, I knew I wanted something sci-fi-ish. Doctor Who related would have been best, but they weren't on the menu, so I settled for Sunkiller. It's OK and I don't feel compelled to change it unless I could choose something really custom, which seems unlikely.
So I'd say, the ideal list should have done names that suggest different genes, as well as 'normal' names.

• 1Like

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
This is actually a tough problem. Every now and then I come across an idea for a good username on SL and check it. It's almost always taken. Eventually the selection will be limited to variations on xXxMispeldWurdzxXx.
THat was one of the advantages of a rotating pool of last names. It gave some ideas to play off of, and ensured that you could have multiple avatars with the same first name but a different last name.

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Rule #1: Clarity of Spelling.
0 (zero), O (cap 'o'), 1 (one), I (cap 'i'), and l (lowercase 'L') are all toxic. AV0lD THEM AII.
Also try to avoid ambiguous spellings, or letters that together look different like LI and U or 'rn' does with 'm'.
Same with Unicode, typos or weird phonetic substitushuns. Avoid switching 'ph' with 'ff' and the like.

Rule #2: Shorter is better.
Try to avoid incorporating titles or excessively long words in your name... like SirMarvingtonTheThird or GwendolynChrysanthemum

Rule #3: Puns / humor are great, but pick a name that fits your temperament. Silly, Serious, Snarky, Aloof, Hyper, ... try to figure out what one word others would use to describe your personality and ask yourself if the name you picked conveys it.

Two simple names separated by a space are often more memorable / descriptive than a single but more complicated word.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
When I started in SL there was a list of a few dozen last names to choose from. So, here I am today with a play on words for luminescence. The last of any other Lumin I knew was Michi Lumin. Who knows if she is still around?

It's even worse with an internet domain name. I wanted one that I could use for the rest of my life. I had some requirements.
Its biggest use would be for email. People who know me and people who don't. This means no part of my real name. I want my own domain in case I ever need to change email providers, which I have not needed. Yay fastmail.com!
It had to be pretty simple to remember and pretty short.
It had to have a nice ring to it, and not turn people off by its name. Maybe I'd want to use it for a small business venture.
I finally came up with my domain name in 2012. Two words that aren't commonly used together. I doubt I'll ever change it.

Whatever name you pick, just remember you will either be stuck with it for a long time or will have to establish a new identity someday.

• 1Agree

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Mix up first and last name of various people and characters.

HankSimpson Resident
BartHill Resident

Or just let the cat pick one

mvhdy26 Resident

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
>> What do you look for in a username when creating a new avatar?

Cheese.

Or, punability.

Nadia

I made one Saturday that was original with no need for numbers. Took me almost 10 years to make one on my rl birthday.

Its a name I’ve used over the years to sell sex toys 😂😆🤣😅

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon and Pr1m