Merdeuse
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Holy smoke Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years and his legal team is having a fit right now. I guess that whole plan where they had him in a walker acting like he could barely stand up didn't pay off.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Holy smoke Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years and his legal team is having a fit right now.
Isn't that 5 to 23? That is, he could be released on parole after only 5 years?

Although I regard US sentences as unduly harsh, Weinstein has failed to demonstrate any real remorse or insight and, since the judge apparently took into account the similar complaints against the defendant, is obviously a prolific sexual predator.

Public safety, it seems to me, requires that he be not paroled until the authorities are satisfied he no longer presents a significant risk of harm to members of the general public, including any woman into contact with whom he come in the future.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
The judge opted for consecutive sentences, so if he is eligible for parole in five years on the first count, he then starts serving the three years, should take at least another six moths to come up for parole on that count.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

sums up my feelings - except I think he should be kept in a prison in general pop.

Zaida Gearbox

Isn't that 5 to 23? That is, he could be released on parole after only 5 years?

Although I regard US sentences as unduly harsh, Weinstein has failed to demonstrate any real remorse or insight and, since the judge apparently took into account the similar complaints against the defendant, is obviously a prolific sexual predator.

Public safety, it seems to me, requires that he be not paroled until the authorities are satisfied he no longer presents a significant risk of harm to members of the general public, including any woman into contact with whom he come in the future.
Parole eligible is not parole getting.

I actually choked up when I heard about this. I just assumed that the fact that he's a rich asshole would protect him.

• 1Hug

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Parole eligible is not parole getting.

I actually choked up when I heard about this. I just assumed that the fact that he's a rich asshole would protect him.
Thanks. I now realise that I was looking at the sentence through as though it had been passed by an English court, but because the charges and sentencing regime are so different, that simply misled me.

An English judge would have awarded a similar sentence in comparable circumstances, I'm sure, but would have had to take somewhat different route to arrive at the final destination.

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm having a bit of a WTF moment here.

I know the guy is scum, but how is his health status a public matter with himself being left in the dark?
The US criminal justice and penal systems are a whole series of WTF moments to anyone on this side of the Atlantic, I think.

It's not been officially announced, it seems.

The Daily Beast report took me to the local newspaper which first broke the story

(I had to use a VPN to read it because they don't like European ideas on privacy so Evernote might be easier)

It looks as if the reporter has friends in the NY State prison service, who leaked it to him.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
That is why civilized countries have the option to lock dangerous individual up no matter their guilt. In Germany for example the harshest sentencing can be found "Not guilty" but also public dangers. A guilty but sane murderer will walk free here after 15 years, a mentally challenged offender however who lacks understanding of right and wrong will go to a state run closed forensic psychiatric clinic - where they will be reevaluated every 4 years, but chances to ever walk free again are pretty low.

• 1Thanks