We were unable to complete your request because: You must have payment info on file to sell L$.

Aztek

http://www.virtualkennelclub.com
SL Rez
I never keep my payment info on file because... well, LL.

I have sold L's on the Lindex for 12 yrs without it, to pay for region tier.

Today, I get this message....

When did this start? And what is the point?

ETA: I spoke with live chat and they claim it has *always* been policy, but never *enforced*. That there was no announcement about it yet they are 'working on solving the issue'. I'm not sure what that means. And that I should add payment info every time i sell lindens and delete it afterwards if I choose.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I never keep my payment info on file because... well, LL.
Oh well I do keep payment info on file and have since I don't know when. I guess I'm living dangerously...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
Use one of those prepaid cards you can get at the grocers.
yeah good luck with that. LL does not accept them, and if you are getting them to work it's hit or miss until the payment processor catches it on LL's side.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Aztek and Clara D.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
yeah good luck with that. LL does not accept them, and if you are getting them to work it's hit or miss until the payment processor catches it on LL's side.
Right. Best to make an extra paypal account as a go-between. Does that still work, been a while since I cashed out?

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm in SL since 2007 and had always payment info on file.
No one ever gave me a fist full of spare dollars so far.

Aztek

SL Rez
Beebo, I think my question was more about when it started. They have had my personal information and tax info on record for years. Adding billing info for the sole purpose of converting lindens into $ that is not leaving the game (and being able to immediately remove it afterwards).... confuses me.

This is not related to cashing out.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I have sold L's on the Lindex for 12 yrs...
This is not related to cashing out.
LL does not accept Lindens for tier, which should tell you something. If you're SELLING Lindens, they are leaving the game. It doesn't matter whether you use that US$ to pay your tier or ask Linden Lab to send you a check, either way you are converting play money into real money. You are cashing out.

Aztek

SL Rez
Yes I can see your point, Beebo. Again, this was really about why this policy suddenly showed up unannounced - and apparently only enforced after all these years. I am not an unknown to them. they have had my personal and tax info on file for years. I am not sure what forcing me to connect a credit card to my account adds.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I am not sure what forcing me to connect a credit card to my account adds.
Only LL can explain why you got a free pass for so long, but the credit card connection is pretty self-evident. A credit card gives LL the ability to bill you for unpaid fees, penalties or illegally withdrawn funds.

Ayesha

Here's what I sent them. If you're affected by this change, I suggest filing a support ticket to complain!

I am trying to sell Lindens and being told I cannot because I do not have payment information on file. I have been selling L$ without payment info on file for 10 years now and I am writing to complain about this change and request it be fixed.

Like many major land owners, I delete my payment information because regions sometimes bill at different times than when I receive money from customers to pay for them. This change is going to make that very difficult and easy to mess up. I could easily find myself forgetting to delete the payment info again and being charged money out of my bank account that I cannot afford, leaving me with no money to pay bills, buy food etc.

My regions' billing dates are clustered in a way that makes it always impossible to cover them with customer payments at the moment they bill. I need a way to regulate my payments or be able to continue to sell after deleting my payment information. I would not mind keeping the information on file if I can control when the card is billed or change the billing dates of my regions. Is this something you could do?

For several months now I have been on the fence about whether I want to continue having regions in Second Life. This change could be enough to push me over the edge into closing my business, costing you a few thousand dollars per month, which you have always received prior to this ridiculous change. Please consider reversing your policy or risk losing me and many others as customers. I have been a major customer for 10 years now and do not deserve to be treated this way.

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
If the policy was always there and LL has just been lax about enforcing it up until now... good for LL I guess. However you shouldn't be surprised or upset that LL is actually enforcing it now.

Ayesha You always say you're quitting SL. Do it or don't.

Last edited:

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Anyone who's been in SL a while should know that the Lab is very batshit-random about enforcing anything.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Aztek

Aki

(Anne Cloud)
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Ages Ago.
This is a prime example where 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'. There are many, many parts of LL policy regarding SL (both in-world and financially) that say one thing but aren't strictly enforced, be it due to simply being lip service, neglect, lack of staff, or all of the above. Relying on that lack of enforcement is the key to particularly salty tears later.

To those who've had to input their info due to this change in enforcement, it's sad you were inconvenienced, but that's the way things are now.

There are several legitimate means of adding payment info which do not depend on creating a direct line to your main source of income. Compartmentalizing finances for risk reduction can be a hassle, but it's important if you're dealing with anything resembling an income.

Additionally, with respect to deliberately removing payment info to avoid getting charged for your region rental... you're gonna get charged whether that info is there or not and the people who suffer for it are your sub-letters, when access to those regions is removed. It's not like those bill dates get moved just because LL can't find billing info on your profile.

And frankly, if I learned I was subletting from a renter who failed to manage a sufficient buffer from which to pay the landlord, through no fault of mine, AND who found a way to deliberately avoid doing so on a known schedule, I'd be pretty upset and look for somewhere else to live.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
My question is how you checked out exactly as ... all transfers need to go somewhere. Did it ask you where and you were able to put whatever you wished? I have both my bank account and Paypal one on two different accounts and never had any security issue. As far as I am aware - you always needed to have something there for buying and selling purposes unless using third parties which are gone now.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
For several months now I have been on the fence about whether I want to continue having regions in Second Life. This change could be enough to push me over the edge into closing my business, costing you a few thousand dollars per month, which you have always received prior to this ridiculous change. Please consider reversing your policy or risk losing me and many others as customers. I have been a major customer for 10 years now and do not deserve to be treated this way.
Try to think of it from the other side.
Would you provide for thousands of dollars worth in Internet services each month (like LL) for clients who don't want to provide their billing information?
Not me.

And when you quit, LL will not miss thousands of dollars. Your costumers will lease elsewhere within a few days.

• 2Like
Reactions: Spirits Rising and Aki

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Like many major land owners, I delete my payment information because regions sometimes bill at different times than when I receive money from customers to pay for them. This change is going to make that very difficult and easy to mess up. I could easily find myself forgetting to delete the payment info again and being charged money out of my bank account that I cannot afford, leaving me with no money to pay bills, buy food etc.
What exactly is the problem in creating an L$ selling/cash out alt nobody knows, putting the payment info on it, moving the L$s over to this alt and cashing it out/selling your L$s that way?

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My payment info is a debit card drawn on the same Paypal account that LL sends payouts to when I request a transfer.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I would not mind keeping the information on file if I can control when the card is billed or change the billing dates of my regions.
I wouldn't mind being able to do that will all my bills. Shift the gas bill, delay the electric bill, stall my telephone bill....

If you're skating that close to the edge, you might want to re-think your business model. Oh wait... I forgot who I was talking to. Never mind.