We need to bring back the bread baking thread

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think of Siggy and his bread baking thread every time I bake bread, which is at least a couple of times a month if not more lately. Today, I used a tried and true recipe that I've used several times before and the result was different. It was too gooey and I had to add almost a whole cup of additional flour.

The only difference is that I used tortilla flour (which should be pretty much the same as enriched white flour, or so I thought). The flour tortillas and cranberry bread I made with it previously came out great.

Not sure how the breads going to do given how much more flour I had to add. When I kneaded the bread after I added the additional flour it seemed the same, springy and stretchy. I have it doing the first rise now, so we shall see.

Anyone here know the actual difference between tortilla flour and plain white flour?

Or, it's really humid here today and that could be the problem?

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Bread making is always an adventure that never turns out quite the same. That's the fun of baking I suppose. We've only made banana bread so far, and are making another tomorrow because bananas, but we're going to try a rosemary loaf as well.

• 1Love
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Not sure how the breads going to do given how much more flour I had to add. When I kneaded the bread after I added the additional flour it seemed the same, springy and stretchy. I have it doing the first rise now, so we shall see.
Better if you can give it a second rise. Otherwise, let it rest for about 30 minutes after pounding it down before working with it.

Anyone here know the actual difference between tortilla flour and plain white flour?
I've seen unbleached recommended at times, but usually they just ask for simple all-purpose white flour. I never bought "tortilla" flour.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I think of Siggy and his bread baking thread every time I bake bread, which is at least a couple of times a month if not more lately. Today, I used a tried and true recipe that I've used several times before and the result was different. It was too gooey and I had to add almost a whole cup of additional flour.

The only difference is that I used tortilla flour (which should be pretty much the same as enriched white flour, or so I thought). The flour tortillas and cranberry bread I made with it previously came out great.

I've not made bread in decades, and that was with a bread machine. I can't really eat all -that- much because diabetes, but...

I remember reading that humidity can really change baking conditions a lot more than you'd think.

ETA: Darn slow typist... Free beat me, and not even in a fun way.

Rose Karuna

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Better if you can give it a second rise. Otherwise, let it rest for about 30 minutes after pounding it down before working with it.
It never occurred to me that humidity could make that much difference but it does!

Saw in the article you linked:
1. Lessen the Recipe’s Liquid
To help counterbalance the additional moisture your dry ingredients soak up from the air, try reducing the amount of liquid in the recipe by about one-quarter. (For example, if your cake recipe calls for 1 cup of milk, reduce it to ¾ cup. Reserve the other ¼ cup.) If your cake batter looks too dry once all the ingredients are mixed together, add a splash of milk from the amount you set aside. Do this one tablespoon at a time until your batter softens to the desired consistency.
I actually do store my flour and sugar in the fridge but that was because of weevils (nasty little devils that will completely take over your pantry in Florida). I had no idea that it helped with humidity.

Anyhow - thank you for the link, it was very informative. I'll post a pic of the bread when it's done. :flower:

• 1Like
Reactions: Free

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Never mop or bake on a rainy day we were told by old people when we were young.

Rose Karuna

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So after the first rise of the bread, I punched it down and put it in the dutch oven for the second rise. Here is a pic of it before and after baking. It actually turned out pretty darn good.

Unbaked Baked

Rose Karuna

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I've been ordering delivery from Publix supermarket and was really thrilled when the delivery pages showed that there was flour in stock. I ordered two packages of All Purpose flour. When they were delivered, what I got was "self rising" flour. Everything that I have been reading about bread says you can't make yeast bread using self rising flour. Apparently the problems are that A) Self rising flour is lacking in enough protein for making bread and B) Self rising flour contains baking powder and salt which will make your bread rise too much with yeast and then crack and deflate from the crack. Plus, too much salt can kill the yeast.

I still have a package of All Purpose flour left so I think I'm going to experiment a bit. I think I'm going to mix the All Purpose with the self rising and see if that doesn't cut the baking powder and salt enough that I can use it for yeast bread. I also have some wheat gluten. That should fix the problem with the protein level.

This could be a catastrophic kitchen failure but it would not be my first. 🍞 So I think I'll proceed with it and see how it goes. I can always use the self rising for things like banana bread and beer bread if this doesn't work. A friend even gave me a recipe for marmite bread which might be a good way to get rid of the marmite I bought when I was in the UK.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Spouse made his first attempt at bread - was tasty but more like soda bread. Told my mom about it, and she gave me good news for him, since he thought it was his yeast colony [it wasn't, he hadn't kneaded enough]. Is really, really tasty though.

• 1Like
  • 1Yay!
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Isabeau

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I've been ordering delivery from Publix supermarket and was really thrilled when the delivery pages showed that there was flour in stock. I ordered two packages of All Purpose flour. When they were delivered, what I got was "self rising" flour. Everything that I have been reading about bread says you can't make yeast bread using self rising flour. Apparently the problems are that A) Self rising flour is lacking in enough protein for making bread and B) Self rising flour contains baking powder and salt which will make your bread rise too much with yeast and then crack and deflate from the crack. Plus, too much salt can kill the yeast.

I still have a package of All Purpose flour left so I think I'm going to experiment a bit. I think I'm going to mix the All Purpose with the self rising and see if that doesn't cut the baking powder and salt enough that I can use it for yeast bread. I also have some wheat gluten. That should fix the problem with the protein level.

This could be a catastrophic kitchen failure but it would not be my first. 🍞 So I think I'll proceed with it and see how it goes. I can always use the self rising for things like banana bread and beer bread if this doesn't work. A friend even gave me a recipe for marmite bread which might be a good way to get rid of the marmite I bought when I was in the UK.
I am a purist. King Arthur unbleached for bread making

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
A friend gifted me with wild yeast he cultivated. I am watching the little critters have a wild party as my sour dough starter takes off