Was there ever a good explanation as to why one has to work with two time zones in SL?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Sometimes my notifications say SLT and sometimes PST which is odd since that's the same thing. Never anything else though such as UTC. That's with Firestorm.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
Wow the official forum thread on this sure turned into a shitshow. o_O
I’m CST currently and we observe DST, but I’ve worked online with people from so many time zones that as long as it is clear for the meeting, workgroup, FaceTime, deadline etc, I don’t care which zone we reference, or if it changes.
Is most fair to rotate, but only motivated groups will do that or work outside their time zone unless the group is global and then we kind of have to.
Ballet Pixelle company member roster is pretty spread out across the globe, many of us travel regularly as well and we manage to coordinate rehearsals, meeings etc., successfully following SLT for 12 years now.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fixed that for you.
There does seem to be quite a few people speaking actual misinformation at times there, I’ve noticed.
And plenty of snark sauce for those who ask the unpopular questions too. Meh.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
There does seem to be quite a few people speaking actual misinformation at times there, I’ve noticed.
And plenty of snark sauce for those who ask the unpopular questions too. Meh.
The last time I peeked in over there I got into an argument with someone who claimed that higher framerates and less lag would make SL less enjoyable for the current userbase.

Not an argument about how to achieve less lag and higher framerates, not an argument about how content optimization might affect the userbase, their entire position was that if SL ran better and looked better and had higher framerates, it would push away the people who use SL for screenshots. Or, in other words...

Wow the official forum sure turned into a shitshow.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I do wish SLT was UTC.

And it is both understandable but also so weird that because SL is Pacific, like EVERY grid is Pacific, even ones I'm presuming aren't based in California.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Not an argument about how to achieve less lag and higher framerates, not an argument about how content optimization might affect the userbase, their entire position was that if SL ran better and looked better and had higher framerates, it would push away the people who use SL for screenshots.
Wait....what?

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The last time I peeked in over there I got into an argument with someone who claimed that higher framerates and less lag would make SL less enjoyable for the current userbase.

Not an argument about how to achieve less lag and higher framerates, not an argument about how content optimization might affect the userbase, their entire position was that if SL ran better and looked better and had higher framerates, it would push away the people who use SL for screenshots. Or, in other words...
Well...I guess I’ll be the one to also mention the fact that several people there (who are certainly old enough in SL age to know better) give quite a few not only clueless but contrary answers couched in ways I can only interpret as designed to shut people down...and worse, I’ve yet to see them called out on it or people corrected in general for giving not very good advice. I’m reserving judgement a while longer after I read some more to give it a very good look because i admit that I’ve skimmed and cherry-picked what I’ve read there a lot myself and I’ve still not quite gotten myself ready to dive in and participate there yet. I’m just...hoping there are some outposts of usefulness there?

But that argument you mention? How would people using SL for screenshots be disadvantaged by SL being better in any of the ways you outline?
I’m afraid that’s just plain crazy sauce. And so far I fear it’s not an isolated case of only a couple of chefs serving it up.