VVO At One Year 🎂

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I can't believe a year has passed already since I started up VVO and shut down SLU. It's passed very quickly, and for the most part, has been a pretty seamless transition. The most important part was keeping this incredible community together.

I am sorry that I have not been able to find a way to bring the archive of SLU online. It proved to be far more technically challenging than I'd hoped because of how customized the vbulletin install for SLU was, and the fact that the SEO plugin that was used doesn't exist anymore and can't be activated on a new server (so every single link is broken). I still have the database itself and the files backed up, so I've not totally written it off, but the chance of being able to recover it does seem slim. It's a shame, but I put far more effort and expense into trying to get it back than I care to admit. If I find a way, you'll definitely be the first to know.

On that note, I'm curious to know your thoughts on VVO. What do you like, dislike, hope to see added - or at this point, is it pretty much what it needs to be? I've been swamped with work and family issues over the past few months so I've not been as active as usual, but I'm still committed to this site and keeping this community going. I'd even like to grow it further if I can. While it does not have the sheer volume of posts SLU did, I'm very happy with the site. Thank you for being part of it.

:loveflag:

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I like VVO just the way it is. What I wish for is for SLU to be archived. The previous version of SLU was lost too. It's understandable that it is technically not doable but that is unfortunate. Thank you for keeping us all together Cris. It is a wonderful site.

• 1Agree
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Pancake and Han Held

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Also this only one reaction per poster on a post is agony but I can deal with it.
:qft:

Other than that, I really can't think of anything this place needs. As forum software goes, this has fit the bill perfectly.

Beebs stated that the transition from SLU to VVO was like stepping from one room to another. To me, that's exactly what it felt like. I don't think I've ever experienced a smoother transition. You really done good here!

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
My feelings are mostly a repeat of Darnk's: I love it here! I too really wish we could have more than one reaction, but it's not the end of the world if we don't; beyond that, I really don't see anything that needs fixed or changed.

And I also agree that Darnk should have full admin controls for the whole forum except for the What the Hell, Darnk? thread.

Seriously though, thanks for keeping this place up and running Cris!

• 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think VVO is great. I do miss some of the people who didn't come across with us and I do miss the more frequent SL-based discussions from SLU. But I think the transition was seamless, if only every IT project could run like that.

The only change I would make is to delete PRS. Or at least rename it The Echo Chamber :p

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I like VVO the way it is. You did a great job setting it up and keeping "the hivers" intact. :) I can't think of anything offhand to add. It seems pretty functional, the tools are intuitive for the most part and it works as great on my mobile phone as it does on my desktop.

Thank you for all you do!

SL Rez
SLU Posts
PRS - little drama nowadays. Not even a dumb Bubba or at least a little creative Cathiee.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Seems like we’ve been here forever to me. Agree that the transition was very smooth and that this site is wonderful. Custom smilies is the only feature I’d like to see added, if possible, in the future.

Jopsy Pendragon

Democracy was a nice experiment while it lasted.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
For me it's more of a "that was only a year ago? It was so effortless a transition for me that it feels like my last post on SLU was way more than a year ago." =)

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It all happened so quickly that I didn't have time to worry. One day we were on SLU and the next we were on VVO and it was as smooth as stepping from one room to another.
Yeah, it was pretty fast. First a few people shifted and pretty quickly everyone else was moving as well.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer