VVO At 3 Months

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
VVO has been live for 3 months now and seems to be growing well. I'm curious what people's thoughts are about the site. What you like, what you don't, what you'd like to see. I'm still working on trying to get the SLU archives up - it's a huge technical challenge because of how customized those forums were. I don't have an eta for how long it will take me, but I've not forgotten about it. Snapzilla survived the move well and is going strong - I do know I still need to remap some of the old SLU addresses - I've not forgotten.

Anyway, thanks for those who have been here from the start and those who have joined since. The transition from SLU went far more smoothly than I could have imagined, and I think the new site has turned out well. Now it's just a matter of continuing to grow and move forward. :flower:

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
The transition from SLU went far more smoothly than I could have imagined...
:qft:

I think a recent comment of Chalice Yao's sums it up best: "On seeing this thread title pop up, I first thought somebody necro'd an old thread from 2007.
Then I realized that there are no old threads on VirtualVerse yet."

It's easy to forget how new the forums are, because they feel as comfortable as old clothes. :p

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
I read that as "I don't have an era for how long it will take" :)

Don't let it get in front of other important stuff, even if it's only gnoshing on veggies and cream cheese while binge watching HBO. You've taken care of the important stuff.

And VVO really does fit like an old pair of jeans and your favorite shirt the girlfriend keeps borrowing.

Last edited:

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
I enjoy it a lot. People seem well informed and positive. The few times a troll has dropped in they were dispatched. No one seems hell bent on burning down the forum or destroying another poster to make a point. No stream of snowflakes demanding some attention.

IOW, I think this forum seems more a reflection of Cris’s personality. I have always heard that the best form of goverenance is dictatorship by a benevolent ruler. :p

I still wish I was able to see the beginnings of posts in the Newest lists, as discussions stray from the topic (I read on my iPad.)

Sid

Not lazy, but in energy saving mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, NL
What? VVO is called VV1?
When, where, how?

Look at the title of this thread!
And look what your supporter sign says.

Just saying. :geek:

• 1Like
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Sid

Not lazy, but in energy saving mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, NL

Tigar

🐯The White Zone is for loadin’ n’ unloadin’ only!🐯
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 21, 2018
Mourning Woods
I have to agree with most of the above, the move over here was so seamless (1) that except for the fact that the software works much better, you’d almost think 🤔 that nothing had happened at all.

I do miss the “reason for editing” bar, it was a great place to put footnotes. But I think I was the only one to use it for well... anything at all, so wth.

And while I’m here, I might as well mention how much I hate the “hug” reaction. It looks like someone bending over and spreading cheeks and saying “Insert tab A here”.(2)

(1) It’s like Cris said “Guys, it’s unsustainable! It’s gonna explode!” And everyone was all like “ok, just tell us where to go”.
And then we did.

(2) Not that I has a problem with that in theory, I got a place ya can put Tab A

Last edited:

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
This community is unlike any I’ve ever known. Much appreciation to El Capitan for fostering us. Go raibh míle maith agat a Cristiano!

Totes agree that the transition was smooth as butter and the new software is very nice. I particularly like the multiquote store and add feature. My one hope for the future is custom smilies so I can add “Khamon chasing Sid with an axe” to Sid’s post above.

Aki

Sep 21, 2018
I'm enjoying the forums as they are, although I probably lurk far more than I did on SLU. That said, more and more - primarily because the old forum saw so much history and involved so much 1) useful info 2) drama, I keep trying to find links to things that still show up in Google search but which can no longer be accessed. It's now difficult to steer people away from 'Blender' group because no other site really mentions why multiple Blender groups tell people to avoid 'Blender' group, for example. It's hard to find info regarding IP-tracking/alt-correlation via in-world items too, which is prohibited but poorly documented.

Having the Archives back up in some form would be really helpful, even if some of the more resource intensive parts (like attachments) needed to be cut out.

Free

I'm taking your cows
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Earth-90214
Having the Archives back up in some form would be really helpful, even if some of the more resource intensive parts (like attachments) needed to be cut out.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Any chance of just pulling the scripting forums, sans pictures, out anytime soon? Just curious, not trying to push.

Thanks.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
Any chance of just pulling the scripting forums, sans pictures, out anytime soon? Just curious, not trying to push.

Thanks.
Sadly I've not had much luck with SLU's archive. It's made complicated by the fact the forum was so highly customized, and the SEO plugin cannot be activated on another server and is no longer available. I'm still trying to find a solution, but for now, it remains offline and will for the foreseeable future.