VP Mike Pence: Be prepared to be shunned and ridiculed for being a Christian

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I didn't provide verses because I don't want this thread to become a verse off. (I did provide the books, so that with my comments and Google will get what you want, if you want it.)

If you're going to argue that people are not following Jesus' words or the way he taught Christians to behave, you can point out the times he speaks of love or forgiveness, but you'll also have to explain all the times he didn't, as well.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I've been taught that the part about body parts offending refers to the process of forgetting about the body during meditation.
I was unaware meditation was a big thing in any sects that were around in the latter part of Second Temple Judaism. Got any references?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Tove

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I didn't provide verses because I don't want this thread to become a verse off. (I did provide the books, so that with my comments and Google will get what you want, if you want it.)

If you're going to argue that people are not following Jesus' words or the way he taught Christians to behave, you can point out the times he speaks of love or forgiveness, but you'll also have to explain all the times he didn't, as well.
I had no idea. (I'm not a Christian.)

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was unaware meditation was a big thing in any sects that were around in the latter part of Second Temple Judaism. Got any references?
No I can't really back it up it's just something I heard at church. We believe that Jesus studied with Indian sages at some point before he began his ministry.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
No I can't really back it up it's just something I heard at church. We believe that Jesus studied with Indian sages at some point before he began his ministry.
Which only deepens and further confuses the issue of interpretation and meaning in the NT, and just what it is that Jesus is teaching. Who thinks Pence would be willing to bend enough to allow for Indian influences in Jesus' words? Or even the typical, non-extreme, mainstream faithful?

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
Is this the same Vice President Pence who required two weeks of public shaming before he would recognize the three black churches that were burned in Louisiana? He seems a bit selective in who he is willing to call Christian.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Which only deepens and further confuses the issue of interpretation and meaning in the NT, and just what it is that Jesus is teaching. Who thinks Pence would be willing to bend enough to allow for Indian influences in Jesus' words? Or even the typical, non-extreme, mainstream faithful?
:ROFLMAO:He knows everything he or anyone needs to know about God and Jesus! Don't sully his mind with different ideas about it all.:ROFLMAO:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So in Matthew when Jesus talks about our right eyes and hands offending us
I'm on my phone, so please bear with me...

Jesus used a lot of metaphor and symbolism in his teachings, which may have been well understood in the culture of his time, but perhaps less so today. This is why it is dangerous to take the Bible too literally. What Jesus was trying to say here was that his followers need to remove those things from our lives that draw us away from God's word. He wasn't sanctioning self-mutilstion here.

Edit: Self-multilstion? How the heck did that make it through my auto-correct???

Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Speaking about abortion...

The state of Georgia has criminalized abortion right now, starting from the time the baby has a heart beat. Women who are then aborting her children are facing as penalty life time jail up to death penalty.

Georgia Just Criminalized Abortion. Women Who Terminate Their Pregnancies Would Be Subject to Life in Prison.
An unintended side-effect of granting personhood at 6 weeks is if an undocumented immigrant gets pregnant in Georgia their fetus is a citizen, and can't be deported. Therefore neither can the mother.

Note, this law doesn't take effect until 2020 because of Georgia tax laws. The new unborn person can be taken as a deduction, and all tax changes are required to take effect at the start of the tax year. So Georgia hasn't criminalized abortion *now*, it will criminalize it *next year*, by which time likely a court will have declared it unconstitutional. So another unintended consequence is this new law is going to energize liberals like you have never seen before.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Note, this law doesn't take effect until 2020 because of Georgia tax laws. The new unborn person can be taken as a deduction, and all tax changes are required to take effect at the start of the tax year. So Georgia hasn't criminalized abortion *now*, it will criminalize it *next year*, by which time likely a court will have declared it unconstitutional. So another unintended consequence is this new law is going to energize liberals like you have never seen before.
Well... speaking about the four boxes of liberty, I wouldn't put too much faith into the jury box and its ability to repair all the damage politicians are producing at the moment.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Speaking about abortion...

The state of Georgia has criminalized abortion right now, starting from the time the baby has a heart beat. Women who are then aborting her children are facing as penalty life time jail up to death penalty.

Georgia Just Criminalized Abortion. Women Who Terminate Their Pregnancies Would Be Subject to Life in Prison.
According to the Washington Post, Planned Parenthood think Slate misinterpreted the proposed Georgia and Alabama laws:
On Tuesday, Slate published an article with a not-entirely-accurate headline: “Georgia just criminalized abortion. Women who terminate their pregnancies would receive life in prison.”

It suggested that under the Georgia law, women who terminate their pregnancies would be prosecuted and sentenced to either life in prison or death.

That is incorrect.

“The news headlines and social media headlines that speculate about the bills’ unintended consequences are – at the very least – not productive. At most, they’re harmful,” Planned Parenthood’s Staci Fox told The Post on Friday.

HB 481 could not be used to successfully prosecute women, she argued. But if a woman had a miscarriage, she could be pulled into an investigation looking at whether someone performed an illegal abortion on her.

“You don’t want a woman to be forced to prove how she lost her baby,” said Sanger.

Georgia’s law does not unequivocally say that women are exempt, but legal experts point to other areas of Georgia’s penal code which have specific defenses for women, including those who miscarry.
Could miscarriages land women in jail? Let’s clarify these Georgia and Alabama abortion bills.

The laws are highly objectionable, certainly, but apparently they don't do quite what some people claim.

Whatever the case, Georgia's law does not come into effect until next year, rather than "right now," and everyone seems confident that the measure will be challenged in the courts before then and stopped well before it gets anywhere near the Supreme Court.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mike Pence tells Liberty University graduates to prepare to be 'shunned,' 'ridiculed' for being a Christian

Yeah, shunned and ridiculed...

Christian: Hi, I'm a Christian!

Most People: Oh? That's cool.

Christian: I believe Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior!

Most People: Um, sure yeah, I get it.

Christian: We need to outlaw abortion and get rid of the gay people! Also, you're going to Hell for your wicked ways!

Most People: *shuns the Christian*

Christian: *turning to another Christian* See!? See!? They can't stand us!
Yes :qft: X 1,000,000,000,000, ad infinium, ad nauseum, ad ridiculum

Christian: Hi, I'm a Christian!

Me: Oh? That's cool. :cautious:

Christian: I believe Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior! OR Have you accepted Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior?

Me: Um, sure yeah, that's good but my views on religion are very personal and I'd rather not discuss this.

Christian: We need to outlaw abortion and get rid of the gay people! Also, you're going to Hell for your wicked ways!

Me: *shuns the Christian*

Christian: *turning to another Christian* See!? See!? They can't stand us!

Me: o_O

Interestingly enough, I have never had this conversation with anyone who was one Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Mormon, etc., just Evangelical Christians and Jehovah Witnesses. I am pretty sure that the only reason that Jehovah Witnesses go door to door is to be able say that they are persecuted, not to convert people. :rolleyes: