VP Debate

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I have a bad cough and laughed/choked/cried through all the fly tweets. This is all anyone is talking about (along with once again bad moderator).
It just proved to me that YES we are that bored after 8 months of isolation and fear. Speaking for myself, I haven't had this much fun with memes since Biden vs. Paul Ryan. Ok, maybe the Orange Demon Stalker vs. Hillary. That was pretty meme-worthy. But the fly might be the best howl of this entire season, even with a Presidential IQ in single digits.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
It just proved to me that YES we are that bored after 8 months of isolation and fear. Speaking for myself, I haven't had this much fun with memes since Biden vs. Paul Ryan. Ok, maybe the Orange Demon Stalker vs. Hillary. That was pretty meme-worthy. But the fly might be the best howl of this entire season, even with a Presidential IQ in single digits.
Agreed. I know that everything happening is serious but I think I really needed to laugh, you know? Felt good.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Why are five research companies producing tens-of -millions of doses of experimental vaccines during Stage 3? Do I misunderstand that a vaccine is mass produced only after it successfully passes Stage 4 of the development process? SRSLY
The idea is whichever of those get approved after Stage 3 testing & review, they can immediately start distributing it (there is no stage 4). It's wasteful because some of the drugs won't get approved. But it will save lives and end the epidemic sooner than if you waited until *after* approval to start mass producion.

Drug test stages:

1) A small number of people to determine the right dose to use
2) A larger group (hundreds) to determine efficacy - that's does it work/produce a benefit over not using it. For a vaccine, that's generally by producing antibodies.
3) An even larger group (thousands) to look for side effects and variations due to age, sex, interactions with other drugs, etc.

If there are any adverse results, like increased deaths or serious side effects, they stop the trial and try to figure out if it was the drug or something else. The drug may be abandoned as a result. They might find an exclusion for the drug (don't take this if you have heart problems or diabetes, for example), but then continue with the drug trial.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Harris was holding back a bit in order to not make a mistake. They are way ahead, and don't want to give any reason for people to not vote for them. Meanwhile, Pence did his usual evasion and lies, which were fact checked today, and he lost to a fly.

And Kamala did make some strong statement during the debate.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Why are five research companies producing tens-of -millions of doses of experimental vaccines during Stage 3? Do I misunderstand that a vaccine is mass produced only after it successfully passes Stage 4 of the development process? SRSLY
Stage 1 is proof of concept lab work, using cultured cells and lab animals.
Stage 2 is initial very small scale human trials, to establish basic safety and efficacy, dosing and so on.
Stage 3 is large-scale testing on in high-infection areas, to see how effective the vaccine actually is, and for how long the immunity (total or partial) lasts

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Eunoli

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I thought the pre-production of millions of doses of vaccine was brilliant - SO LONG AS TESTING AND TRIALS ARE NORMAL. Right now, it seems like Trump would approve anything at all, who cares if it makes everyone sick later.