Voting in the U.S. will soon be (even) harder to do.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So, I'd like to see more on that on a neutral source. I mean, its kind of questionable [if believable] when its a blog post to sell folks on using -their- cellphone plan. I'm not saying its not true, mind you, but rather the source is a bit questionable on their motivations.
That's a fair point. I think pretty much the same. I don't doubt the story is true, but, as you've pointed out, I'd like to find a more neutral source.

I did find this:

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
That's a fair point. I think pretty much the same. I don't doubt the story is true, but, as you've pointed out, I'd like to find a more neutral source.

I did find this:
"AT&T supports voter suppression" is the second suggested search when you start typing,and there's a whole page of results his from major news outlets and stuff. The stories are still from the beginning of the month. Like this one :

Looks like this all started to boil to the surface with the new GA laws.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
ABC15 has obtained a copy of a letter sent by Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs to Maricopa County in which she threatens to de-certify the county’s election equipment that was handed over to the audit by the Senate subpoena.

In the letter, Hobbs said her office “consulted with election technology and security experts, including at the Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, regarding the appropriate next steps, and each unanimously advised that once election officials lose custody and control over voting systems and components, those devices should not be reused in further elections.”

At the end of the letter, Hobbs advises county election officials that should they chose to reuse the equipment, they will begin the de-certification process.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
“We did our part to stop SB 7,” tweeted Texas Rep. Erin Zwiener, D. “Now we need Congress to do their part.”

“State lawmakers are holding the line,” tweeted Texas Rep. James Talarico. “Federal lawmakers need to get their s--- together and pass the For The People Act.”

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
So many threads to choose from, but I'm going to drop this article here:
A Warning From Europe: The Worst Is Yet to Come

This a long but really interesting article that uses events and people in Polish politics to explore the appeal of autocracies as a form of government. It's like reading the Trump Administration playbook.

Given the right conditions, any society can turn against democracy. Indeed, if history is anything to go by, all societies eventually will.
Monarchy, tyranny, oligarchy, democracy—these were all familiar to Aristotle more than 2,000 years ago. But the illiberal one-party state, now found all over the world—think of China, Venezuela, Zimbabwe—was first developed by Lenin, in Russia, starting in 1917. In the political-science textbooks of the future, the Soviet Union’s founder will surely be remembered not for his Marxist beliefs, but as the inventor of this enduring form of political organization. It is the model that many of the world’s budding autocrats use today.

Unlike Marxism, the Leninist one-party state is not a philosophy. It is a mechanism for holding power. It works because it clearly defines who gets to be the elite—the political elite, the cultural elite, the financial elite. In monarchies such as prerevolutionary France and Russia, the right to rule was granted to the aristocracy, which defined itself by rigid codes of breeding and etiquette. In modern Western democracies, the right to rule is granted, at least in theory, by different forms of competition: campaigning and voting, meritocratic tests that determine access to higher education and the civil service, free markets. Old-fashioned social hierarchies are usually part of the mix, but in modern Britain, America, Germany, France, and until recently Poland, we have assumed that competition is the most just and efficient way to distribute power. The best-run businesses should make the most money. The most appealing and competent politicians should rule. The contests between them should take place on an even playing field, to ensure a fair outcome.

Lenin’s one-party state was based on different values. It overthrew the aristocratic order. But it did not put a competitive model in place. The Bolshevik one-party state was not merely undemocratic; it was also anticompetitive and antimeritocratic. Places in universities, civil-service jobs, and roles in government and industry did not go to the most industrious or the most capable. Instead, they went to the most loyal. People advanced because they were willing to conform to the rules of party membership. Though those rules were different at different times, they were consistent in certain ways. They usually excluded the former ruling elite and their children, as well as suspicious ethnic groups. They favored the children of the working class. Above all, they favored people who loudly professed belief in the creed, who attended party meetings, who participated in public displays of enthusiasm. Unlike an ordinary oligarchy, the one-party state allows for upward mobility: True believers can advance. As Hannah Arendt wrote back in the 1940s, the worst kind of one-party state “invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”
The emotional appeal of a conspiracy theory is in its simplicity. It explains away complex phenomena, accounts for chance and accidents, offers the believer the satisfying sense of having special, privileged access to the truth. But—once again—separating the appeal of conspiracy from the ways it affects the careers of those who promote it is very difficult. For those who become the one-party state’s gatekeepers, for those who repeat and promote the official conspiracy theories, acceptance of these simple explanations also brings another reward: power.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Texas woman faces jail time after being convicted of voting illegally (msn.com)

Mason said she believed she was following all of the terms of her supervised release back in 2016, and she hopes her story doesn't scare other people from going to the polls.

"I want everyone to know, do not let my story discourage you from the polls," Mason said. "Because you know why? The prosecutor who do this to me, he was an elected official. The judge, an elected official. The DA, an elected official. You get what I'm saying?"

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I really don't understand AG Garland's slow motion activity on this front. The Voting Rights Act as amended by the Supreme Court of the United States no longer allows pre-review of any voting scheme individual states may pass, but it does allow post-review and subsequent law suits by the DoJ. The pre-review was a powerful tool, since it prevented racist assholery about the polls, but it isn't the only tool that the law gave to the Department of Justice.

Is this a case of the wheels of justice being slow but grinding exceeding fine or is my understanding of the Voting Rights Act as amended hopelessly wrong? Are the AG's hands tied and in what way?

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
  • 1WTF??
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
AZ Republicans are determined to make this third(?) recount so thoroughly suspect that all counts will be disputable, obviously including the first and second. The more mud that is slung around in this political mud-wrestling match, the less likely will the truth be discernable from a Big Fat Lie.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
WTF.

WTF.

The fraudit has been shady as hell from the get -go, and is embarrassing sane Republicans, so I've read. No one had heard of Cyber Ninjas ,and there's been 0 transparency, so this is totally on brand.
The AZ Republicans who called for this circus don't care, as long as it tells them what they want to know.
IDK why they're bothering. Other red states are going ahead with their nauseating laws without that show.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
The fraudit has been shady as hell from the get -go, and is embarrassing sane Republicans, so I've read. No one had heard of Cyber Ninjas ,and there's been 0 transparency, so this is totally on brand.
The AZ Republicans who called for this circus don't care, as long as it tells them what they want to know.
IDK why they're bothering. Other red states are going ahead with their nauseating laws without that show.
Because they've so thoroughly latched onto the idea that, because Trump lost there, there must be fraud present, and they're going to find it, even if they have to completely make it up.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Instead of winning elections on their own merits, Repugs have to cheat (and commit treason) by having enlisted Putin's "help".

In other words, since the Repugs are guilty (seen enough to know they are), everyone else must be guilty of the same thing as well.

Theirs is a fear of reality, ours is a fear of their fantasy.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Is this a case of the wheels of justice being slow but grinding exceeding fine or is my understanding of the Voting Rights Act as amended hopelessly wrong? Are the AG's hands tied and in what way?
Somebody has to be wronged in order for the Justice Department to have a case. They can't pursue hypothetical violations of civil rights.

An example would be Georgia's purge of the voter rolls they are about to do. Raffensperger, our Secretary of State, claims the 100,000 people they are going to kick off the rolls have moved out of state, died, etc. and thus legitimately can be removed. But let's say some of those people will be unjustly removed. So they can go to the Justice Department and demand justice. But the purge hasn't happened yet. The list of who is going to get purged has been posted, and people have about a month to contact county registrars and contest their removal.

Another example would be gerrymandering pursuant to the 2020 Census. But again, the redistricting hasn't happened yet because the Census Bureau hasn't finished the detailed census maps. We know the state totals, and therefore how many representatives each state gets, but not the neighborhood-level census tract counts. The detailed numbers are needed to make each district come out the same in population.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink