Vote Blue No Matter Who?

Are you planning to vote blue in the general no matter who? Or only if you approve of the candidate?

• No matter who.

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • If I approve of the candidate.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Arilynn

Its going to be frighteningly close.

We have friends with a cabin in northern Wisconsin, and we recently drove there for a long weekend. It was frightening how many homemade signs supporting Trump we saw. Everything from very large wooden displays declaring the owner‘s love to Trump’s name woven into a fence and followed by a heart. I started counting and lost track in the upper 20s. We saw the same thing around Halloween in 2016.

The WI governorship changed from red, with the hideous Walker, to blue, but both state houses are still controlled by a highly partisan, zealous GOP. I‘m worried about WI.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We have friends with a cabin in northern Wisconsin, and we recently drove there for a long weekend. It was frightening how many homemade signs supporting Trump we saw. Everything from very large wooden displays declaring the owner‘s love to Trump’s name woven into a fence and followed by a heart. I started counting and lost track in the upper 20s. We saw the same thing around Halloween in 2016.

The WI governorship changed from red, with the hideous Walker, to blue, but both state houses are still controlled by a highly partisan, zealous GOP. I‘m worried about WI.
Later polls indicate Bernie and maybe others are slightly ahead of Trump in WI now.

Ishina

SL Rez
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Arilynn

Later polls indicate Bernie and maybe others are slightly ahead of Trump in WI now.
Yeah, I saw the results on 358. ETA: It was RealClear. But several are within the margin of error and those that aren’t point in different directions. I’m afraid the polls aren’t accurate and/or the race is too close. Very scary for such an important 2020 state.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

I have yet to grasp his cult of personality. Forget everything you know about him. Sure, there are politicians I agree with, some wildly so. I could never picture myself expressing love for one of them.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yeah, I saw the results on 358. ETA: It was RealClear. But several are within the margin of error and those that aren’t point in different directions. I’m afraid the polls aren’t accurate and/or the race is too close. Very scary for such an important 2020 state.
Trying to use polls taken in February to predict the outcome of an election to be held in November seems a bit unreliable.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

The amount of Trump worship - and that's exactly what it is: worship - is just absolutely nauseating. How can so many people not see anything at all wrong with Trump's behavior and governance? It's insanity! It can't be anything else.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts

WI is afflicted with cheese brain.

• 1Agree

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I don't even know what is going on in Wisconsin. Up until the last, say, 10-15 years they could be reliably counted upon to vote liberal. They were very much like a sister state to Minnesota.

Of course, the Republicans experimented there successfully with denying voting rights, gerrymandering to hell and the terrible Walker experiment, but that doesn't explain the Trump love in the population.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I think this is what is the most shocking to me. We all knew there were parts of the US that were on the nutty and religious side of right/conservative politics, but for me, the hat wearing, handmade signs, fervour/adoration of a man - complete moron - instead of the actual party or issues they hold dear. Not that single issue is better, but egotists, I can at least understand.

Maybe, deep down, they're simply too embarrassed at having voted this in but since it's done, they would rather die than admit they were wrong, so now they're in fully. Too far gone to turn back. All their friends were also in from the beginning (or maybe they've made new ones - they now feel they belong in a community.

Pride and self delusion?

You know, I just watched a clip yesterday of Trump from just before his election. He actually looked sane. He made complete sentences and everything. That's who they voted for.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think this is what is the most shocking to me. We all knew there were parts of the US that were on the nutty and religious side of right/conservative politics, but for me, the hat wearing, handmade signs, fervour/adoration of a man - complete moron - instead of the actual party or issues they hold dear. Not that single issue is better, but egotists, I can at least understand.

Maybe, deep down, they're simply too embarrassed at having voted this in but since it's done, they would rather die than admit they were wrong, so now they're in fully. Too far gone to turn back. All their friends were also in from the beginning (or maybe they've made new ones - they now feel they belong in a community.

Pride and self delusion?

You know, I just watched a clip yesterday of Trump from just before his election. He actually looked sane. He made complete sentences and everything. That's who they voted for.
Maybe, but my personal opinion is that I think it's mostly racism, homophobia and gender bias.

"Make America Great Again" kind of says it all because in the 40's, 50's and 60's this country was not all that "great" for non-whites, homosexuals and women.

I remember visiting family in California, one of the most liberal states in the US and going to the beach in the 50's. Beaches were segregated then. Many restrooms were still segregated. Even some schools were still segregated (Pasadena). The Watts riots in 1965 did not come out of the blue, there were many years of violent incidents with LAPD. Homosexuals lived in fear of being beaten (and then refused treatment at hospitals) and arrested. Women, well, the show "Mad Men" was not all that far off in it's portrayal of prejudiced against women in the work place.

So yeah, why would I vote to "Make America Great Again" when the way I see it is that it was never all great to begin with unless you were male, white, Christian and rich?

And oh hey, what is Trump, male, white, purporting to be a Christian and rich.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I googled loathing and adoration in politics trying to find an article on this but it brought out books that were semi on topic. My outside view may be tainted but it seems to be prevalent in the US. Although, we see it elsewhere too.

In Canada at the moment, while there isn't as much any adoration of Trudeau son, there is much loathing. His father and Lévesque had some of that fervour, I don't know, but nothing recent. I wonder if the length of the election process, the rallies, the slogans, etc. are to blame for whipping up this fervour. It's like they were tailor made for exactly this. If you go to a rally out of curiosity, it's almost as if you have no choice but to join in on the fervent clapping and yahooing.

Obama, Clinton, Trump, Sanders... I am very wary of any type of adoration and it's probably what I find the most off putting when it comes to Sanders, and not the man himself. It isn't the mean tweets, it's the obsession by some. Maybe this is why there is such an aversion to him by some, it reminds them of Trunp followers? Not that I agree he is anyway a threat like Trump...

Anyhow, I just woke up so excuse my thinking/rambling out loud, I just really distrust any gushing about a candidate. They're politicians, community leaders yes, not kings or gods.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Trying to use polls taken in February to predict the outcome of an election to be held in November seems a bit unreliable.
Yet people try to do it every election cycle.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The amount of Trump worship - and that's exactly what it is: worship - is just absolutely nauseating. How can so many people not see anything at all wrong with Trump's behavior and governance? It's insanity! It can't be anything else.
But he is sticking it to us libs!

Any casualties among his flock are, um, an accident, yeah, an accident.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
But he is sticking it to us libs!

Any casualties among his flock are, um, an accident, yeah, an accident.
Sadly, that seems to be a big motivator for a lot of these people. They don't care that the Trumpasaurus Rex is destroying the country and democracy in general. As long as he's seen as "sticking it to the libs", they're all happy.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Sadly, that seems to be a big motivator for a lot of these people. They don't care that the Trumpasaurus Rex is destroying the country and democracy in general. As long as he's seen as "sticking it to the libs", they're all happy.
What is hilarious is when he does things that affect the poor guess what states that majorly has an impact on.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
Well, at least I don't need to worry about having to pick Bloomberg over Trump.

Wonder if he has found another half-billion among the cushions of his couches to fund the Dem nominee's PAC support?

• 1Agree