Vehicle high-tech safety systems (still) not all that great

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
For years now, automakers have been stuffing their cars with loads of advanced technology on the promise that all these sensors and software will make for a less deadly driving experience. But new research suggests that new technology isn’t doing enough to keep pedestrians safe.

The American Automobile Association (AAA) conducted a series of tests using vehicles with automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection alerts on a closed course with dummy pedestrians. And what they found was highly upsetting. The vehicles struck the dummy pedestrians that were crossing the road 60 percent of the time — and this was in daylight hours at speeds of 20 mph.

• 1Scared
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
I've always felt that too many people assume these safety systems allow drivers to ignore what's going on in front of their car. Until car makers remove the steering wheels from their cars, the human is still the driver and still responsible. That said, I absolutely love the safety systems in my car and wish there were more of them.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I've always felt that too many people assume these safety systems allow drivers to ignore what's going on in front of their car. Until car makers remove the steering wheels from their cars, the human is still the driver and still responsible. That said, I absolutely love the safety systems in my car and wish there were more of them.
OMG, I'm always seeing videos on the news of people on the freeway in their cars, literally asleep at the wheel with autopilot on. I mean, when texting while driving started becoming a thing, I couldn't believe people were stupid enough to actually text while driving! Then came the idiots asleep at their wheels. If you ask me, we've been delaying Darwinism for far too long now. The stupid people have seriously contaminated the gene pool.

• 1Scared
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
Tesla's "Autopilot" (hint: not really) is the worst recent example. The very name is deceptive and misleading.

The problem with making everyone safer and healthier is you make the stupid people safer and healthier, too. It means they don't die off as quickly. What can you do. :beatup:

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I couldn't believe people were stupid enough to actually text while driving!
One day while going to work, I saw a lady in the next lane with a book open on the steering wheel, and putting on makeup, on the Interstate, at highway speeds. This was in the early 2000's, so texting wasn't a thing yet. I made sure to give that lady a wide berth. So I'll believe any level of stupidity from drivers.

RealVioletWitch

Randomly Awkward
SL Rez
A long time ago we saw some documentary thing on tv, about car safety. They were talking to a guy, IIRC he worked on early airbag systems. They found that no matter how safe they made cars, the rate of fatal accidents seemed to remain the same. He said he figured people just compensated by driving worse or more recklessley cos they figured the car's safety features would save them. He said, like tongue-in-cheek sorta, if you wanna make a really really safe car ,stick a spring-mounted bayonette in the steeringwheel and tie it to the bumpers. If you hit something, it stabs you in the heart, so even the mildest fender-bender would be guaranteed to kill you. He said, do that, and people will drive safely.