Vegan couple indicted for murder after baby dies from malnutrition

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yes, it's due to their being vegan. Just, you know, crazy vegan.

Ryan Patrick O’Leary, 30, and Sheila O’Leary, 35, were arrested last month after a medical examiner ruled that their 18-month-old baby died in September from malnutrition.

Sheila O’Leary had called the police to report that the child was cold and not breathing. The baby was pronounced dead after medics arrived at their Cape Coral home, according to Fort Myers News-Press. The boy weighed just 17 pounds, the weight of an average 7-month-old.

In addition to the 18-month-old, the couple had three other children, ages 3, 5, and 11. The two youngest were Ryan O’Leary’s biological children, and police observed that they were incredibly small for their ages and had a pale, yellowish complexion. One of the children had blackened teeth.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Here is why I hate vegans on principle; they also do it with pets that are carnivores. Now, understand, I don't hate vegans who are only doing it to themselves, but there is, to my knowledge, not a single vegan culture with any longevity to speak of; but there are vegetarian ones.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
It really is cruel to force that diet on young children and carnivorous pets. People should know better than that. And the worst part about those two is they had to very clearly see just by looking that their children were malnourished and not growing well and they refused to act anyway.

Been vegetarian since I was 13 or so, I absolutely cringe when I hear stories like this about vegan babies. Surely if you're going to believe all the stuff about animal cruelty in farming, you'd have the sense to know when you're being cruel towards your children? Though I suspect they're just really sick individuals who happen to be vegans. I know there are lovely normal vegans who take the utmost care of their children same as I would as a veggie parent. There's something deeply wrong with a person who can watch a child starve and not act.

You really need dedication to raise a healthy vegetarian child, never mind a vegan. When I went veggie it was easier because I was old enough to understand nutrition and starting to cook my own food alongside mum. But it still took a lot of learning and care to make sure I was getting what I needed, still something I pay attention to now. Personally, I would never feed a baby or young child a vegan diet, I think that's a situation where you need to set your beliefs aside and find cruelty-free dairy to give them a good start in life. Same as I feed my carnivore pets meat, if I wasn't prepared to feed them correctly I wouldn't keep them. But I've raised farm animals myself, I know how animals are raised and that farmers aren't all cruel psychos. Most of them take better care of their stock than these idiots did their own children.

Sid

In lurking mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Though I suspect they're just really sick individuals who happen to be vegans. I know there are lovely normal vegans who take the utmost care of their children same as I would as a veggie parent. There's something deeply wrong with a person who can watch a child starve and not act.
:qft:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Such a diet should not be forced on anybody.

The problem though is not that diet per se, but that the parents did not make enough research to know that a baby needs in case of such a diet dietary supplements, like vegan cats need to.

So what kiled the baby was the dumbness of its parents who could have known better.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
dietary supplements, like vegan cats need to.
Vegan cats...

In this rather overly long piece, the author starts with the obvious:

Can cats be vegan?

Well no, because cats don't have the critical thinking capacity to consider the moral implications of breeding animals to eat, or indeed the subsequent use of their skin, fur and bodily by-products to produce clothing, cosmetics and other products.
But ignoring the view that being vegan is a philosophical and not just dietary decision, eventually he makes the following point, which I agree with:

The comparison does raise a key point in this debate, though: Feeding a dog (an omnivore) a plant-based (vegan) diet is not much of an experiment, and can be highly beneficial – particularly for dogs with arthritis and heart problems.

However, feeding a cat a vegan diet is experimental. It's an experiment that has the potential to go quite wrong.
Cats are not designed to be strictly vegetarian, and forcing such a diet on them is an experiment, a risk to their life in ways that a meat-based diet isn't. A risk more so than it is with humans. Dumb people shouldn't be doing it. In fact, most people shouldn't. If you can't handle your pet eating meat, especially cats, then just don't have pets.

For parents, the rule should probably be the same in regards to children.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Vegan cats...

But ignoring the view that being vegan is a philosophical and not just dietary decision, eventually he makes the following point, which I agree with:

Cats are not designed to be strictly vegetarian, and forcing such a diet on them is an experiment, a risk to their life in ways that a meat-based diet isn't. A risk more so than it is with humans. Dumb people shouldn't be doing it. In fact, most people shouldn't. If you can't handle your pet eating meat, especially cats, then just don't have pets.

Cats are obligate carnivores - meaning, they have to eat meat to survive. There really aren't many ways around that requirement.

Developing human children require a wide variety of nutrients in their diet that is hard to attain with a plant-only diet. I'm not saying it can't be done, but some careful, intelligent research is required to even think about pulling it off - something these parents clearly did not do.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Free

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Developing human children require a wide variety of nutrients in their diet that is hard to attain with a plant-only diet. I'm not saying it can't be done, but some careful, intelligent research is required to even think about pulling it off - something these parents clearly did not do.
Or are likely capable of.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Yes, you can feed a cat a "vegan" diet with "supplements" but, plot twist, effective supplements contain animal proteins. There are a number of essential proteins that cats simply can't make naturally, but humans can (hence it is possible with some careful planning for a human to survive on a vegan diet).

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

Cats are obligate carnivores - meaning, they have to eat meat to survive. There really aren't many ways around that requirement.

Going ovo-lacto vegetarian is much more doable.

There are bunnies if one wants a fluffy animal around, but doesn't want to feed it meat.

Last edited:

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
They managed that in a very obtuse way, for which they should be severley punished. As they also should if they'd killed their cat in the same way!

• 1Agree

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I’m thinking that people who can’t science shouldn’t try an unconventional diet. They inevitably wind up believing harmful things.

I have a housemate who desperately needs to lower his carbs because of severe diabetes. He even is trying to get advice from a real dietitian. But he just can’t get “carbs.” I suspect that he’s headed for eventual kidney failure. It’s pretty sad.

I thought telling him “carbs are plants: sweets, grains and roots” would be understandable, but it’s not.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Vegan cats...

Well the issue with vegan cats is that if you inhaled the real, strict stuff your vegan ideology is against having pets, because if favours animal rights, freedom and animals should not suffer. Which is by the way why strict vegans don't eat honey, because bees are dying for it and held in "slavery", so unnatural ways.

So if you go strict vegan and want a cat you first have got to wrap your brain around all types of lame excuses why this is suddenly okay which in your ideology in reality is not. So it might be taking a sick cat from a cat shelter, or finding such a cat somewhere, but definitely not from a breeder.

So taking and owning a cat is in reality the first betrayal of the ideology. And since most people then don't want to feed their cat meat - not because they could not handle it, most could, but they don't want animals to suffer in meat production - they are a target group for dietary supplementals.

And so they are giving their cat a treatment for which a cats' body was never designed for with uncertain outcome - so some would say they are torturing their pet in order to not torture other animals by proxy. Most vegans are telling that all just went good with their cats and they are living there expected to be lifespan, but I guess we'll hardly ever find other stories on the net.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It really is cruel to force that diet on young children and carnivorous pets. People should know better than that. And the worst part about those two is they had to very clearly see just by looking that their children were malnourished and not growing well and they refused to act anyway.
Unfortunately parents do that. Just look at anti-vaxers.