Using RLV for mesh wardrobe management

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
I was reading a thread in the official forums about people's preferences regarding Firestorm versus the official viewer. One user said that she prefers Firestorm because of RLV, which she uses to manage her mesh wardrobe.

I use Firestorm, but I don't use RLV because I thought it was just for sex and I don't really engage in SLex. But I'm now guessing that there are other applications. How can RLV be used to manage a mesh wardrobe?

• 1Like
Reactions: Anya Ristow

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I was reading a thread in the official forums about people's preferences regarding Firestorm versus the official viewer. One user said that she prefers Firestorm because of RLV, which she uses to manage her mesh wardrobe.

I use Firestorm, but I don't use RLV because I thought it was just for sex and I don't really engage in SLex. But I'm now guessing that there are other applications. How can RLV be used to manage a mesh wardrobe?
so many things you can do with RLV that isn't sex related but the Stigma prevents people from exploring it.

I use it to lock my hair, head and huds in place when jumping between outfits, bodies that i use for rp.

walk across a doormat as soon as i enter the house.. boom i switch to my house outfit.

walk into an rp zone i change into an android and it routes my chat so i can only speak in third person. i can still type normal and it will do all the work for me so i don't have to remember i'm not supposed to use first person.

setting it up might be tricky to some people at first but once everything is connected it's quite nice...

tho you could do the equivalent of dropping an outfit folder on your avatar these days. you don't have to deal with the extra copies or extra links around your inventory and re-rezzing stuff you had on already.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
You need to have really organized folders and write an interface for it. I used to use my own home brew RLV wardrobe manager that would open dialog boxes for folders, sub folders and final folders. Selecting a final folder would give the option Add, Remove, Replace (everything).

Consequently I was militant about keeping my selections trim and current and it worked well enough that I didn't use the new built in Outfits manager within SL. Until the Gallery became a thing. The RLV manager got tossed out the window and now I have over 150 Outfits. God Damn It.

But anyway, I recommend the built in SL Outfits feature, it's way less clunky than organizing your folders.

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
I'm intrigued. I enabled it on Firestorm, but now I don't know what to do. Where can find more info?

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
I'm intrigued. I enabled it on Firestorm, but now I don't know what to do. Where can find more info?
You could skim through here for a list of capabilities. LSL Protocol/RestrainedLoveAPI - Second Life Wiki

In essense, it's a system to have your viewer do things on an owner specific channel (llOwnerSay() ) handled by scripted objects you own.

But a lot of the things I used to use it for, collision teleports and wardrobe, I now use build in SL features.

You could also find a D/s support group in SL, you'd find lots of help there. Just mind the occasional creep. (Most people are lovely.)

You also might find a knowledgeable person at NCI.

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
I use Project Clothing, which lets you link multiple attachment and avatar layers to a single item, wear that item and it will remove anything you need removed with that item, and attach any other attachments you need with that item.

For example, you can set up a shirt so that when you wear it, it removes the naughty bits on your chest, the piercings for those bits, or even swap your entire torso for one with the proper alpha masking so it won't clip the shirt, and at the same time add items like a different shape and different physics, so you don't always look like you're not wearing a bra. XD

I've been saying for years that LL should have worked a similar system into Outfits. It's incredibly useful but it means adding a script to everything you want to work with the system.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the kid community uses RLV stuff as well, so its definitely not just for sexy time stuff at all. I used to get a lot of use out of the rlv TP thing for 'owners'. I'd go shopping with friends, work while they decided where they wanted to go next, then they would just bring me to them, because I'd make them my owners for the day.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the kid community uses RLV stuff as well, so its definitely not just for sexy time stuff at all..
I probably will never have the scripting chops for it but I have this vague idea to build a simple 2D platform puzzle in SL using RLV camera/movement constraints.