Used/refurbished sl computer

Robert Jung

It looks like I won't be able to fix my old computer, and it's not worth paying a professional to fix it.

I want to be able to walk around sl in moderate graphics settings, but I want to turn up the graphics for photography while I'm standing still.

The old, non-working computer is an HP P7 1010 AMD ATHLON II QUAD with GeForce 560 and a 500w PS.

FOR $99, I can replace it with a working model of the same thing on ebay.

Otoh, tiger direct is selling a Dell ptiplex SE II i5 4750s 16 GB 250 GB sSD for $240. Would that be. worth the xtra c ash?

any other suggestions? - thanks

Last edited:

Robert Jung

1. Is there any substantial difference between DELL & HP?

i5 4th gen vs i3 8th gen
. which would run Sl better?I

16 GB enough?

- Thanks

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I have had Dells run for 10+ years. The only HP I ever had died a month out of warranty.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Google the graphics card along with "second life" is what I would do. If no card is listed figure out what the onboard default graphics is or just google the computers make/model with "second life".

Robert Jung

Thanks everyone! I'll be adding a graphics card to whatever I buy. I was wondering whether a newer i3 was as good as an older i5, as far as the cpu goes. I've had good luck with HPs, but I've heard good things about Dells, too.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Cpuboss.com will let you put two models in and give a rundown of benchmarks and features.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
To put it mildly:
Yes, yes it's worth the extra cash. Any modern PC at around 300 dollars will run better and faster than that Athlon II for 99 bucks, by far.
Especially with that SSD. it's not even a fair comparison.

If you want an okay graphics card for SL, see if you can find a nVidia 1660. It should be grabbable for an okay price off eBay if you're a bit patient, and be sure to scroll all the offers. Don't go to places like NewEgg for that one.

Just make sure that if you get an all-in-one Optiplex, that the graphics card will fit.

Last edited:

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
You can get a refurbished thinkstation with an i5 for around $200. Make sure it's a full-size model so the graphics will fit, and that they're not screwing you on the amount of ram -- which would be more money, these days 16G is good.

Throw in a used graphics card -- 1660 is going around 150, 1050ti under 100 on the Bay of E.

I'm running a 1050ti and it works nicely in SL -- a 1660 would be better, but it's down to how much you want to spend.

IMHO, I'd buy a Lenovo or Dell before an HP -- both are popular in business use, so it's (A) indication of quality, and (B) LOT of ex-lease refurbs for cheap.

Example:

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Robert Jung

I want this computer to last me for 10 years (because after that I'll be using the public library), so I'm currently leaning towards choosing the newest, fast computer I can find without a card. i'll add a card next year and either suffer for a few months with inboard graphics, or swap my still-working 560 into the slot until I can get a newer, better one.

On the cpu test site, the sixth generation i3 tested a bit faster in single-core than the fourth generation i5. The i5 has more cache and is a true quad (i3 is threaded 2-core), so the i5 should be a bit better at multitasking.

* Is multitasking important to sl?

if it's not important, I'll go with an i3 or the equivalent AMD. I'm looking for either minitowers or the short fat towers, and ruling out the slimlines. I have seen some i3 's with room for 32G DRAM.

Thanks all.

Robert Jung

I have a basic understanding of what SDRAM is and a very vague idea of what Optane is. But I don't know how to compare them!

1. Which is better: 16GB SDRAM. or. 4GB DRAM + 16GB Optane

2. 16GB regular DRAM. vs 4GB DRAM + 16GB Optane

Thanks.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Robert, where do you live roughly? If you're local to one of the regulars they could look around a bit for you or even donate/sell for cheap one of their old systems, or at least know some good, reliable used computer shops or check craigslist for you.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I want this computer to last me for 10 years (because after that I'll be using the public library), so I'm currently leaning towards choosing the newest, fast computer I can find without a card. i'll add a card next year and either suffer for a few months with inboard graphics, or swap my still-working 560 into the slot until I can get a newer, better one.
What's your budget?

To give you an idea a good, modern budget build computer looks like this right now for SL:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
2x8 GB DDR 4 RAM with 3200 Mhz (2 bars means that dual channel mode is available)
512 GB SSD - SSDs are not really expensive in that price range any longer, so use one

16 GB RAM is for SL a must, because Firestorm alone nowdays often uses up to 8 gigs on a well popuplated sim.

BTW AMD has released the 3rd generation of Ryzen CPUs; from my own experience though I cannot recommend using those yet, because AMD's QA is just really awful and you can expect it that it will not run without troubles. Also it's simple not available yet.

Robert Jung

*The budget was no more than $300 but i'm considering going a bit higher.

* The re ason I asked about Optane is because I see Hp 590 packages with 4 GB Ram combined with 16 GB Optane for $315 & wondered if that would be any good vs a Dell with 16 GB DRAM wit h conventional HD at the same price.

*Lenova computers seem to be priced lower than Dell or HP. ?

Thanks!

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
* The re ason I asked about Optane is because I see Hp 590 packages with 4 GB Ram combined with 16 GB Optane for $315 & wondered if that would be any good vs a Dell with 16 GB DRAM wit h conventional HD at the same price.
Optane only deals with *optimizing* HD use. It doesn't combine with RAM.

I'd say you'd be better off with the 16GB RAM, then try to find a cheap SSD at about 128GB to install your OS onto. You should have the space *in the case* for both an SSD and the HD that comes with it. And booting from SSD is WORTH IT.

Last edited:

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
*Lenova computers seem to be priced lower than Dell or HP. ?
It's more that Dell's are priced higher. And HP isn't used as much, so there are fewer of them. Lenovo lease returns hit the market by the truckload.

One note on Lenovos -- having had a stint as a refurbisher, don't get the AMD-based ones. The Intel based ones are solid, though.

Robert Jung

I've been going about this the wrong way. At this point I know what I want, but I can't find it!

i 'm having trouble finding models that meet the simple, straightforward criteria that I'm looking for, namely mid-tower, under $300, room for: 2 hd's, full-size psu, full-size gpu. DOESN'T have to come with a powerful psu, muliple hd's, or graphics card, BUT has to have room to add them.

What Lenovo, HP, Dell, or Acer models manufactured in the last five years meet those requirements???

I've tried to find out, but apparently I'm using the wrong search terms. I keep getting lists of current models, when I'm looking for prior models.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Add "Refurbished" to the search?

Robert Jung

Add "Refurbished" to the search?
At this point I'm not looking for a list of refurbished
computers for sale (because then I have to look up the specs for each one, one by one--which has left me with a headache. I'm looking for an article with a short list of model names: mid- to low-end mid-tower computers made 4-5 years ago, with specs. That way I can do a search for specific models, instead of getting lost in a swamp of non-upgradable, proprietary tech, which is what I HAVE been doing. :(

Of course the manufacturers' web pages list info about the new models, but that doesn't tell me what was made 5 years ago.

I've never bern any good at shopping or making shopping decisions, so I really appreciate your help, thanks! :')