USA Election Day 2018

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
There are always technical issues but this year it makes me more nervous because every vote counts. People can get frustrated and leave without voting if it is taking too long.

Precinct Problems in NYC

One voter called Eyewitness News to report problems at District 30 in Woodside, Queens, saying "this place is a zoo" with only 2 out of 7 machines working.

Another voter tweeted us from P.S. 22 on Staten Island to report malfunctioning scanners.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Just wanted a thread for anyone to post in specifically for election day stuff. Seems like lots of shenanigans happening around the country today :mad:

Looks like this was postponed! People jumped right on it.

Border Patrol just told our reporters in El Paso that CBP is canceling this exercise. @TXCivilRights filed a FOIA this AM for more info

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
During early voting, people in Texas reported multiple instances of voting machines actually changing their votes. Now reports from South Carolina about machines not registering correctly. Always check your ballot before leaving the booth, and ask for assistance if something seems off!

Two Columbia-area TV stations have reported complaints from voters who said they selected one name on the ballot but that the machine would switch the selection to another name.
Richland County Elections Director Rokey Suleman told The State some precincts are having problems with machines “mismarking the vote” because of calibration issues with the aging touch-screen machines.
Voting machine issues causing ‘mismarking’ of votes at Richland precincts

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
During early voting, people in Texas reported multiple instances of voting machines actually changing their votes. Now reports from South Carolina about machines not registering correctly. Always check your ballot before leaving the booth, and ask for assistance if something seems off!

Voting machine issues causing ‘mismarking’ of votes at Richland precincts
Then people are puzzled at why so many programmers freak at the idea of machine voting .... ESPECIALLY internet voting.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Here in The Netherlands we voted a few times with voting computers. But than some people found possible flaws in the system and since then we are completely back to the good old red pencil and ballot papers.
Strangely the Internet is considered perfectly safe to do all kind of money transactions and purchases, but not safe enough to cast a vote. :unsure:

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Meanwhile, in Alabama:

The @NAACP_LDF has sent a letter to the Alabama secretary of state's office reporting "widespread confusion" at polls re: photo ID requirements and what to do with voters listed as "inactive"
Alabama Secretary of State @JohnHMerrill responded to the @NAACP_LDF's letter reporting confusion at polls about photo ID requirements and "inactive" status voters, tweeting "there's no confusion except what your [sic] manufacturing"
Buzzfeed Article on Voting Problems

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I took my siblings and mother to the polls with me. Later, I am taking three elderly folks to the polls. I was able to convince my non-voting relatives in Austin to vote and they have done it. That's four votes for Beto.

I'm afraid to watch any election news tonight. I don't know if I can take another 2016, if it goes bad.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Voting done!

Some weird issues on the ballot today. A vote to to make unanimous jury verdicts required for felony convictions, and to make it illegal for felons to run for elected office until five years after the end of their sentence.

Did you know that Louisiana is one of two states that doesn't require a unanimous decision for a conviction? Yeah neither did I, but apparently you only need 10 out of 12 jurors for a guilty verdict. Only death penalty cases need a unanimous decision. Hopefully that ends today.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I took my siblings and mother to the polls with me. Later, I am taking three elderly folks to the polls. I was able to convince my non-voting relatives in Austin to vote and they have done it. That's four votes for Beto.

I'm afraid to watch any election news tonight. I don't know if I can take another 2016, if it goes bad.
Wow, good for you!

As important as this election is, it is one battle in a long war. Whatever happens with this vote, the country is now woke.

Sunshine Carami

No Dude, am not new...just another lurker
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2008
SLU Posts
I vote early because election observers here piss me off. This time around, older fella in the next line was demanding to know if the polling place was for everyone to vote or just for democrats. There were only a handful of voters there...not sure where he got that idea but he seemed anxious.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Those two things are true. We have no address matching requirement and registered inactive voters can reactivate and vote on the spot. Those poll workers are either improperly trained or being intentionally disruptive. On the other hand, workers at my poll reactivated a lady, explained the ballot to two first time voters, and successfully helped a man whose ballot kept kicking back out of the box for no apparent reason, all in the quarter-hour I was there.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I'll be voting later this afternoon after classes. I will be voting straight Democrat down the ballot. I don't usually vote strictly along party lines, but that's how much the Republican Party has disgusted me.

The only ballot issue I'm still undecided on is California's proposition 10. Any fellow Californians want to weigh in on that?

Lori Claremont

We voted for Prop 10. Rent is completely out of control here in the Bay Area and desperately needs to be reined in.

ETA: Knowing who's supporting or opposing makes a big difference to me, and I see the California Democratic Party, the Nurses Union and the Teachers Union among others supporting 10. That's good enough endorsement for me.

Dillon Levenque

Cautiously creeping...
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'll be voting later this afternoon after classes. I will be voting straight Democrat down the ballot. I don't usually vote strictly along party lines, but that's how much the Republican Party has disgusted me.

The only ballot issue I'm still undecided on is California's proposition 10. Any fellow Californians want to weigh in on that?
The official summary states:
  • Repeals state law that currently restricts the scope of rent-control policies that cities and other local jurisdictions may impose.
  • Allows policies that would limit the rental rates that residential-property owners may charge for new tenants, new construction, and single-family homes.
  • In accordance with California law, provides that rent-control policies may not violate landlords’ right to a fair financial return on their rental property.
The 'Against' arguments are all about what MIGHT happen should some community make a bad policy. Yeah, well so what? There are already remedies for that. I see it as just a way to remove some state restrictions on what communities can decide. I voted FOR.