US Election Day 2020

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Gosh! Whoever would have seen this coming?

Evernote link because paywall
What lawyers does he think are going to represent him if he isn't going to pay them? Giuliani was a name mentioned for his impeachment trial. I imagine he will be hesitant if he isn't going to be paid. Another name is John Eastman. His wikipedia page says he just got booted from Chapman University employment today. He is a subscriber to the usual wingnut theories. The page doesn't mention any cases he actually won.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
What lawyers does he think are going to represent him if he isn't going to pay them? Giuliani was a name mentioned for his impeachment trial. I imagine he will be hesitant if he isn't going to be paid. Another name is John Eastman. His wikipedia page says he just got booted from Chapman University employment today. He is a subscriber to the usual wingnut theories. The page doesn't mention any cases he actually won.
He'll find someone, I'm sure.

To my mind, he has the much bigger problem to face of obtaining competent representation in both the criminal and civil proceedings he's soon going to face -- while an impeachment trial and conviction is necessary for all sorts of reasons, it's one of the least of his problems in the great scheme of things.

I mean, sure, ban him from federal office, and ban him from practicing law and medicine at the same time, for all the effect it will have on his future.

He really won't have much time to run for president or anything else as he struggles to retain his liberty and his business empire over the next few years.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
He'll find someone, I'm sure.

To my mind, he has the much bigger problem to face of obtaining competent representation in both the criminal and civil proceedings he's soon going to face -- while an impeachment trial and conviction is necessary for all sorts of reasons, it's one of the least of his problems in the great scheme of things.

I mean, sure, ban him from federal office, and ban him from practicing law and medicine at the same time, for all the effect it will have on his future.

He really won't have much time to run for president or anything else as he struggles to retain his liberty and his business empire over the next few years.
Again though, the impeachment is more to send a message to the more competent fascists in the GOP like Hawley.... or even the gop in general, that the dems will no longer let them flout the rule of law in this country - seriously overdue, too.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Where do I post this shit?

I guess we have to call this impeachment proceedings of a not yet sitting president.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Again though, the impeachment is more to send a message to the more competent fascists in the GOP like Hawley.... or even the gop in general, that the dems will no longer let them flout the rule of law in this country - seriously overdue, too.
Certainly. There have to be consequences, if only symbolic -- the US can't allow the development of a Trumpian "lost cause" or Dolchstoßlegende, if nothing else, and it's the right thing to do. He can't skate on this.

However, whatever fantasies he may have of retiring to hold court at Mar-a-Largo and playing golf while receiving supplicants and waiting for the 2024 elections (or at acting as kingmaker), he's got huge problems looming as soon as he leaves office -- criminal and tax offences aside, he's facing ruin as his business and brand tank and no one will do business with him or lend him money.

Being impeached will be no more than a mild inconvenience compared with what else the future holds for him.

Backlash to riot at Capitol hobbles Trump’s business as banks, partners flee the brand

Evernote link because paywall

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Where do I post this shit?

I guess we have to call this impeachment proceedings of a not yet sitting president.
She is making a case for her own abuse of power. He isn't even in yet, showing that she has zero reason to file for impeachment. Expel her.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Mm-hmm.

Lankford claimed that when he backed Sen. Ted Cruz’s (R-TX) desperate plot to vote against certifying the election results and demand an “audit” of the votes from swing states Trump had lost instead, it was “never my intention to disenfranchise any voter or state.”

The GOP senator said he was “completely blindsided” by the Black community’s response to what he described as “my action of asking for more election information.”

“What I did not realize was all of the national conversation about states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, was seen as casting doubt on the validity of votes coming out of predominantly Black communities like Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Detroit,” he wrote. “After decades of fighting for voting rights, many Black friends in Oklahoma saw this as a direct attack on their right to vote, for their vote to matter, and even a belief that their votes made an election in our country illegitimate.”
But now he's sorry for how that looked.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
As of an hour ago, all 159 counties in Georgia have certified the Jan 5th runoff election. All that remains is the Secretary of State to certify the totals, and then Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock can go take the oath of office. That leaves the Senate tied 50-50. Once VP Harris is inaugurated, she can break tie votes, but they can sit in on committee hearings and such immediately.

I don't know if there are any other 2020 races unresolved across the country, but at least for Georgia its finally fucking over.

-----

Now that the state has flipped on the Presidential and Senate races, of course, the Republican voter suppression has already started. Can't have so many people voting, they say. In addition to trying to kick people off the voter rolls, the Republican-controlled legislature wants to make absentee (mail) voting harder, and gerrymander districts once the 2020 Census is released.

We dodged a bullet, by the way. Due to COVID delaying the completion of the Census, Trump didn't have a chance to throw undocumented people out of the count, in violation of the Constitution's requirement to count the "whole number of people", not just citizens. The population data is expected to be released in February.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Mm-hmm.

But now he's sorry for how that looked.
Oh, c'mon. That's geared to him, not you. Atlanta, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Detroitt...those were the locations that they heavily disputed. Did he miss all of the white folks screaming outside of the counting centers? People who didn't even live in those cities proper?

Dude must be Rip Van Winkle, just now arising.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink