Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
On facebook someone was complaining about people doing this. I stated I will continue to look down on nonvoters IF they do not have a reason: pretty much any excuse, not agreeing with the system, disenfranchisement. Basically, as long as your reason is not 'I did not want to bother when I could have voted easily' I have no complaints.

I wound up with several people yelling at me about privilege and what not. Obviously they had not bothered to actually read my position. Then I started getting yelled at because they were native americans so Could Not Be Disagreed With On Anything.

I wound up blocking those two NAs. In my response I mentioned friends at Pine Ridge so got accused of tokenism in addition to everything else.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate people who use radical left arguments like that.

Han Held

I am the Queen of France, completely
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Anchorage
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate people who use radical left arguments like that.
You know the saying "behind every avatar" (or, in this case, poster) "is a human being?" ...the existence of the IRA trolls, fifty-cent party and god only knows what cointelpro fuckery, not to mention garden variety astro-turfers... completely and totally disproves that saying.

After the last two elections whenever I encounter someone who is so persistently obnoxious; left, right or (yes!) center ...I pretty much just assume they're one of the above-mentioned assholes and block them. No fucks given.

Unless I know them IRL, of course, then I go to their house and ask them what the fuck their malfunction is in person!

Free

The Pie Whisperer
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Fucking, America
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
That'll teach you for posting on Facebook!

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
You know the saying "behind every avatar" (or, in this case, poster) "is a human being?" ...the existence of the IRA trolls, fifty-cent party and god only knows what cointelpro fuckery, not to mention garden variety astro-turfers... completely and totally disproves that saying.

After the last two elections whenever I encounter someone who is so persistently obnoxious; left, right or (yes!) center ...I pretty much just assume they're one of the above-mentioned assholes and block them. No fucks given.

Unless I know them IRL, of course, then I go to their house and ask them what the fuck their malfunction is in person!
I know the OP IRL but have no idea who the other people in the thread are. I made the mistake of saying I blocked 2 of them and got called a coward for doing so. That OP I know chimed in at one point and decided to hold me to task rather than settling the thread down.

At this point I have been called all sorts of things in that thread. Everything from a privileged white woman to a first wave feminist.

Robert Jung

Sep 20, 2018
I was talking to a woman at my volunteer job today who said shevotes in the Presidential elections but doesn;t think the mid terms are important enough so she didn't vote. We (others besides me) tried to explain that control of the Senate and House are at least as important as who the president is. Many Americans think the President is much more powerful and independent than the office actually is.

Sep 20, 2018
RL: NZ / EVE: 1DQ1-A & Niarja / SL: Jessie
SL Rez
I was talking to a woman at my volunteer job today who said shevotes in the Presidential elections but doesn;t think the mid terms are important enough so she didn't vote. We (others besides me) tried to explain that control of the Senate and House are at least as important as who the president is. Many Americans think the President is much more powerful and independent than the office actually is.
That reminds me of having people think mayors are more important than the councillors. Fortunately I live where the head of state has no real power anyway.

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Exactly, I can understand people who have issues with the entire system. I might disagree but at least there is a logic to their reason for not voting. My complaint is solely with people who have no issues with the system and nothing prevents them from voting (no disenfranchisement issues, no travel issues, time available, and so on).

Han Held

I am the Queen of France, completely
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Anchorage
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah... besides the fact that congress really does matter, the power of your vote will often be much higher for more local races. I was excited to actually get to vote in a contested senate race. ...though she lost. Meanwhile, electoral math ensures that I'll probably never cast a meaningful vote for the President again (but I'll still do it).