Twitter testing tweets lasting 24 hours called 'fleets'

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Since it was founded in March 2006, there has been only one type of post possible on Twitter: a tweet. But starting today, the 280-character post is being joined by an ephemeral South American cousin: the fleet.

That’s what Twitter is calling these new, more fleeting tweets — posts that appear in a separate timeline above the main timeline for 24 hours before disappearing. In other words, yes, Twitter is finally doing Snapchat Stories, and the implementation looks nearly identical to Instagram’s version of the feature.

• 1Meh
Reactions: Govi

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I feel pity for the poor sods who are required to document all the Ole Ravin' Cheeto's self-destructing posts...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I don't understand this trend at all. Facebook, Instagram and I think Youtube, probably others have those little video stories things that die after a time. Then there is Snapchat. As someone who basically keeps and archives everything digital, I have no idea why you would every make something that's going to die after 24 hours.

I can see why companies want to encourage it. I doubt anyone reads Tweets over 24 hours old regularly and it means they (Twitter, etc) don't have to store old tweets forever.

Not a feature I'd ever use, I want my followers to have a life beyond refreshing Twitter in case they miss something :)

I don't let myself delete tweets, it's good practice for me to put my stuff online and leave it there, even if I don't like it. Sometimes I've immediately deleted and re-written a tweet to get rid of a typo, but otherwise they stay up.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I don't understand this trend at all. Facebook, Instagram and I think Youtube, probably others have those little video stories things that die after a time. Then there is Snapchat. As someone who basically keeps and archives everything digital, I have no idea why you would every make something that's going to die after 24 hours.

I can see why companies want to encourage it. I doubt anyone reads Tweets over 24 hours old regularly and it means they (Twitter, etc) don't have to store old tweets forever.
I get it, but I agree it goes against the nature of the internet, which is to provide a somewhat permanent, link-able resource. If it's gone in a day, why should I care about it?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer