Trying not to hurt a noob's feelings

Romana

SL Rez
There I was trying to win the beautiful skin and outfit from the fortune teller at Fallen Gods, and a noob in a starter avatar offers me friendship out of the blue. So I say, "I have to kmow someone before accepting friendship. I hope you understand. Noob dude comes back with "How old are you?" (wtf?) I say, "I don't give my RL age in SL." I close the chat box again, and this time TP home, because obviously he won't get the hint and I don't want to be rude since he might be just dense and not a creeper. When I've gotten home, I see he's said, "It's just a game." (OK, then why does he need to know my age?).
Dammit, I want that skin.

Han Held

Maybe things are different, maybe they're the same
SL Rez
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Eh......
/me scratches head.....
/me remembers a SLU thread where saying "Hello" was declared an almost sex offense.
/ me tiptoes out.
#notallmaleavatars

Romana

SL Rez
a/s/l we make fuck????
When a male avatar I haven't exchanged two words with offers friendship, that is kind of what I expect to come next. Especially if it's followed up by " how old are you?".
But I don't want to give offense just in case.

GoblinCampFollower

"Of course this is just a game, but I'm not an NPC."

We've talked before about how with people in RL, your social instinct naturally causes you to see them, then register that they are a person, not just a block of wood. Over the internet, this social instinct doesn't automatically trigger for everyone. It is very natural for some people to just treat you like they would an NPC in skyrim. ..then they are shocked that you take offense.

Related to this, a lot of people don't grasp that an hour of someone's time is always an hour of someone's time. Under no circumstances is that hour less valuable. If you want someone's time, it's always up to you to earn it. An hour of game time isn't worth less to me than an hour doing anything else.

Romana

SL Rez
"Of course this is just a game, but I'm not an NPC."

Related to this, a lot of people don't grasp that an hour of someone's time is always an hour of someone's time. Under no circumstances is that hour less valuable. If you want someone's time, it's always up to you to earn it. An hour of game time isn't worth less to me than an hour doing anything else.
Yeah, I guess this guy didn't grasp that. Or that if you want someone's friendship, you could, oh, I don't know, talk to them first? But not about RL stuff. That's reserved for when you know someone online long enough to know if you even want to say.
I'm not sure I handled the situation well. I prefer to help new SLers, unless they prove themselves to be jerks.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower
Between my cat parts and non-mesh avi, it's really rare that a human avi chats me up. So I tend to just play along and give really bland answers until the near-inevitable reveal that the guy is looking for sex or a girlfriend. I'm really careful around the age question though! I once thought I'd be clever and tell a guy I was too old for him. I was DJing and greeting new folk in chat range but not actually camming them. So I totally missed his cougar loving group tag! My fellow staff members didn't... As soon as I said what I'd told him, everyone is laughing at my expense :D Fortunately he was chatting up 2 other staffers so we sorta teamed up and one person told him something rediculous, the others confirming it when he asks. I can't remember all the nonsense we said, but I think he had a good laugh while he wasn't getting laid.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
System AV's aren't that offputting to potential suitoers o_O

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Romana

SL Rez
System AV's aren't that offputting to potential suitoers o_O
When I went back I used a robot avi, lol. Still not proof against a determined would-be 'sexxor', but just in case. Same dude wasn't there anyway, and the usual crowd at Fallen Gods is cooler than that, even newbies (there were quite a few times and nonhuman avs there and I didn't help wondering if they'd also been hit on, tho).
I eventually did get the skin + outfit.

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
I just outright not reply. Just disable sounds and blinks for notifications and keep the window minimized. Recently people in general have gotten better at handling someone being completely unresponsive. (^_^)