Trump Plans to attempt to "Regulate" Social Media

SL Rez
SLU Posts
But by that point, their Commander-in-Chief would be foaming at the mouth, chewing the furniture level of crazy, and I wonder how many officers, junior or senior, would be willing to put at risk, at the very least, their careers by accepting orders of questionable legality from someone so clearly incapacitated as Trump will doubtless be at that point.

At some point, I think it's likely to become clear to Pence and the others that they really have a lot more to lose if they stick with him rather than activate the 25th Amendment.

So instead we'll have Pence declare martial law.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Monica Dream

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Typical head-up-the-ass Trump-appointee "lawyer".

I've never seen a ToS that said the service was accountable for enforcing their ToS on any or every perceived violation.

ToS's enable companies to take action to limit undesirable behavior from their customers. When they feel it's necessary.

Unless the customer can show that the business is engaged in harassment or discrimination as defined by whatever actual laws have jurisdiction... they can pretty much selectively enforce their ToS however they like.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
At some point, I think it's likely to become clear to Pence and the others that they really have a lot more to lose if they stick with him rather than activate the 25th Amendment.
Given the degree of corruption and sycophantry of his appointees, getting more than half his cabinet to turn on him may be impossible. Many of his picks are people who are on record as being against the very things they're in charge of. They want to tear federal government down.

They're not going to interrupt Nero while he's fiddling.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So instead we'll have Pence declare martial law.
What's in it for Pence?

Quite apart from the psychological blow to Trump that losing the election will deliver, once he leaves office and forfeits the protection of his former office, he has a world of legal woes waiting for him, civil and criminal, and he doesn't have the Justice Department and Attorney General under his control.

Biden has already said he won't pardon him, and at some level Trump must realise that, as for Dr Faustus in the play, the clock is ticking and that fateful midnight draws closer and closer, after which a world of pains await.

He has every reason to hope he dies in office, or at least to postpone the evil day as long as he can.

Pence, on the other hand, and most of the rest of them, can go back to being rich and infamous, and the main question on their minds will be how best to shift all responsibility onto Trump and his family, and their entourage, and maybe throw a couple of their number to the wolves if they have to.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
But by that point, their Commander-in-Chief would be foaming at the mouth, chewing the furniture level of crazy, and I wonder how many officers, junior or senior, would be willing to put at risk, at the very least, their careers by accepting orders of questionable legality from someone so clearly incapacitated as Trump will doubtless be at that point.
To be honest, I suspect its already gotten to this point - but those who want to cling to power are hiding it for the most part and pumping him with enough drugs to do brief public appearances when they can't hide him.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Trump is dumb as a box hammers and thinks "hacking" is something they do in golf.
I am a web dev but I assume people will know there is some way to run a computer program on the web and it is not all static html. Although not that they know the details of php, they do not need to know it unless they want that information.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
hacker (n.)
early 13c. (as a surname), "a chopper, cutter," perhaps also "one who makes hacking tools," agent noun from hack (v.1).

Meaning "one who gains unauthorized access to computer records" is attested by 1975, and this sense seems to suggest hack (v.1), but the computer use is said to be from slightly earlier tech slang sense of "one who works like a hack at writing and experimenting with software, one who enjoys computer programming for its own sake," reputedly a usage that evolved at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (however an MIT student from the late 1960s recalls hack (n.) being used then and there in the general sense of "creative prank." This suggests rather a connection with hack (n.2) via the notion of "plodding, routine work." There may be a convergence of both words here.

hacker | Origin and meaning of hacker by Online Etymology Dictionary
Steven Levy wrote about the MIT connection in Hackers. It is close to bodging, as both are kluging something to work, but they are not exact synonyms.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
This, too:

I would laugh like crazy if he pushes Jack too far.

On one list I used to run there were several problem users. Not trolls per se, but real handfuls. Anyway, one self important type forgot who I was and when she stepped over the line I followed sop and warned her. She did it again and I warned her and deleted the post. By this point she was screaming and violated the same rule a third time. I calmly deleted the list. Prior mods laughed and gave me credit for how many years I stuck in there.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Quite apart from the psychological blow to Trump that losing the election will deliver, once he leaves office and forfeits the protection of his former office, he has a world of legal woes waiting for him, civil and criminal, and he doesn't have the Justice Department and Attorney General under his control.

Biden has already said he won't pardon him, and at some level Trump must realise that, as for Dr Faustus in the play, the clock is ticking and that fateful midnight draws closer and closer, after which a world of pains await.

He has every reason to hope he dies in office, or at least to postpone the evil day as long as he can.
This may actually make Trump more dangerous. He's going to campaign like his life depends on it, because it likely does. And with that level of desperation, he's going to do some really rash stuff.

ETA: That assumes he's actually self-aware enough to realize how much deep shit he's in.

Last edited:

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am a web dev but I assume people will know there is some way to run a computer program on the web and it is not all static html. Although not that they know the details of php, they do not need to know it unless they want that information.
Trump thinks that pen is a magic wand and the world is just going toe the line. At least have a clue what you are trying to do. This is not going work

• 1Agree
Reactions: Romana

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Trump thinks that pen is a magic wand and the world is just going toe the line. At least have a clue what you are trying to do. This is not going work
Well, it has gone from wanting to show up Obama to thinking the president is an elected dictator.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This may actually make Trump more dangerous. He's going to campaign like his life depends on it, because it likely does. And with that level of desperation, he's going to do some really rash stuff.

ETA: That assumes he's actually self-aware enough to realize how much deep shit he's in.
I believe it was Innula who recently posted a link to a fascinating (but very long) read about Trump's psychopathology. One of the markers of a psychopath is the lack of fear. It's an important trait to keep in mind if you're trying to predict Trump's erratic, impulsive behavior. Where you and I might be afraid, he won't be. So the good news is that he's not as desperate as you might think, but the bad news is that there are no brakes on his behavior precisely because he is not afraid of consequences.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I believe it was Innula who recently posted a link to a fascinating (but very long) read about Trump's psychopathology. One of the markers of a psychopath is the lack of fear. It's an important trait to keep in mind if you're trying to predict Trump's erratic, impulsive behavior. Where you and I might be afraid, he won't be. So the good news is that he's not as desperate as you might think, but the bad news is that there are no brakes on his behavior precisely because he is not afraid of consequences.

It is very long, partly because she's concerned to establish that it's both ethically and medically justified to diagnose Trump without interviewing him, then to explain psychopathy, what it is and how it's diagnosed, and to explain the similarities and differences between psychopathy, antisocial personality disorder and narcissism.

People can probably skim it to section 5 (thus skipping the history of the Goldwater rule and so on), but even then it is long, but very interesting indeed.

ETA: I can diagnose Trump -- as my grandmother would have put it (think Old Nan, Bran's nurse and Hodor's mum in GoT, here), "He's a bad un." That sums him up pretty well, I think.

Last edited:

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Whatever he is clinically... After this morning's barrage of "neener neener nyah nyah!" "presidential" tweets, I can say with absolute certainty that he's 100% troll, through and through.

Totally disingenuous. Deliberately provokes, then feigns ignorance or being misunderstood. Chums the waters and giggles when he gets people to turn on each other with actual violence. Preemptively projects all his flagrant faults and malignant intentions onto those most likely to call him out on them...

And his cult followers eat it up because they want to validate their delusion of exceptionalism by smugly lashing out too. They worship and envy his ability to get away with it and, wrongly, feel like he's doing it for them.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
And his cult followers eat it up because they want to validate their delusion of exceptionalism by smugly lashing out too. They worship and envy his ability to get away with it and, wrongly, feel like he's doing it for them.
Innula, one aspect of psychopaths that the author addressed was their charm. I personally find Trump repulsive, but to a certain strata of American White Christian people, he apparently has a strong appeal. Go figure.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Innula, one aspect of psychopaths that the author addressed was their charm. I personally find Trump repulsive, but to a certain strata of American White Christian people, he apparently has a strong appeal. Go figure.
Charm, in this context, I think, is an ability to charm a particular person or audience.

Certainly many of the recent books and articles about him I've read have commented on his ability to persuade people he's their best friend, and they're the most important thing in his life, and he'll do absolutely anything for them, and so on, when he wants something out of them.

You and I find him repulsive, but we don't have anything he wants right now.