Trump Plans to attempt to "Regulate" Social Media

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
When even an organisation like "The Oathkeepers" thinks Trump has gone too far ....

• 1Wow!
Reactions: Romana

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Was I the only one who laughed at what that report considered the technical bits?
Trump is dumb as a box hammers and thinks "hacking" is something they do in golf.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I am very worried that we might not make it to November before we are simply a military dictatorship.
I don't believe enough of the tank-and-file military are behind him for that. Remember the sailors' reaction to Captain Crozier's being relieved of command?
My friend's spouse is retired Air Force, and she says all the vets she knows despise him. They know his BS about spring the military is just that.

His appointees are the bootlickers. Like, apparently, this asshole from the FCC:

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Yes, hacker is a general term. It actually started before computers but once computers existed it was basically a specific subspecies of geek. By the 90s it was being taken over by nefarious types. Now it is used by white hats and black hats.

hacker (n.)
early 13c. (as a surname), "a chopper, cutter," perhaps also "one who makes hacking tools," agent noun from hack (v.1).

Meaning "one who gains unauthorized access to computer records" is attested by 1975, and this sense seems to suggest hack (v.1), but the computer use is said to be from slightly earlier tech slang sense of "one who works like a hack at writing and experimenting with software, one who enjoys computer programming for its own sake," reputedly a usage that evolved at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (however an MIT student from the late 1960s recalls hack (n.) being used then and there in the general sense of "creative prank." This suggests rather a connection with hack (n.2) via the notion of "plodding, routine work." There may be a convergence of both words here.

hacker | Origin and meaning of hacker by Online Etymology Dictionary

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is...100% on the nose.

This, too:

....for me, at least, it helps to think of what’s happening as a high-stakes version of the drama we’ve all seen play out on neighborhood Nextdoor threads, fractious Facebook groups, and rowdy Reddit forums for years.

Looked at this way, Mr. Trump’s war on the platforms is a familiar refrain. A power user with a passionate following is lashing out against the moderators of his favorite internet services. He likes the way these services were run in the past, when he could stir up trouble and speak his mind without consequences.

Now, the mods are putting in new guardrails, and he’s upset. He wants what internet trolls and rebels have always wanted: to be allowed to post in peace, free of limits and restrictions. Most of all, he wants the mods to know who is really in charge.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I am very worried that we might not make it to November before we are simply a military dictatorship.
The military won't touch this.

I may be wrong but I think Homeland Security may be the only "reliable" tool he can directly touch. I'm seeing massive immigration sweeps, road blocks on major roads, and militia groups and the far right throwing sand in the gears along with consistant, major "miscommunication" which ends up blocking/stranding voting sites. Don't be surprised if your voting location has fire alarm pulls, bathroom trash can fires, "man with a gun" calls to your local police - and if there are enough numbers - news stations as well. Also rock and concrete throws from freeway overpasses.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Even if we're at 500,000 deaths and the White House declares Martial Law to "save America"?
But by that point, their Commander-in-Chief would be foaming at the mouth, chewing the furniture level of crazy, and I wonder how many officers, junior or senior, would be willing to put at risk, at the very least, their careers by accepting orders of questionable legality from someone so clearly incapacitated as Trump will doubtless be at that point.

At some point, I think it's likely to become clear to Pence and the others that they really have a lot more to lose if they stick with him rather than activate the 25th Amendment.

I hope it does, because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about --- imagine what he's going to be like, and what he might do if no one stops him, between November 4 and January 20 if he loses.

They must already be discussing this behind his back in Washington, and I'm pretty sure, if and when it comes to it, they'll come to the conclusion that the game's over and the 25th Amendment is the least painful option until Biden's sworn in.