Trump needs to leave or be removed

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
He's apparently being impeached on Monday. That's too late. He can do a lot of damage before then.
I know why its monday - because after monday there is a 50/50 split in the Senate, and while tacitly McConnell is still in charge, its only because of Pence. And it gives them time to work on flipping the rational gop senators to go with it this time.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
He's apparently being impeached on Monday. That's too late. He can do a lot of damage before then.
That's great but where did this information come from? Did I miss a post somewhere?

nvm, found an article.

I haven't seen this picture of his rally before. Wow, those images of him are so chilling. It's like every book, movie, article fiction or non-fiction depiction of fascist rallies.

Last edited:

Sid

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Impeachment as a step towards conviction would be great so he can't run for office again. It won't help remove him from office though since there is no way he will be convicted by the 20th. Pence isn't going along with the 25th so that isn't going to happen either.
I'm good with him not being able to run for office again. His words yesterday to the effect that this is only the beginning sent a chill down my spine. I would be glad to take away any reason he may have to further terrorize democracy or hold nazi rallies.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Was there ever one president in history before which had two impeachment processes during one term?

bubblesort

The only thing I don't like about this is the nuclear question. Pelosi is saying that Trump does not have the capability to launch nukes right now.

He's crazy, so that might be a good thing, maybe? I don't like it, though.

Lets ignore that having a lunatic at the helm is a good thing when it comes to nuclear diplomacy. Simple game theory dictates that in a game of chicken you always want to bet on the craziest lunatic. That's, like, the only good thing Trump does for us. He's always the craziest lunatic

Aside from that, though...

What if a nuclear rival was waiting for us to blink, so they can send their nukes and destroy America, without having to worry about retaliation? If the pentagon took the nukes away from the president, then nobody has the authority to launch the nukes any more, which makes this weekend the perfect time to launch such an attack. Even if Trump is removed quickly on Monday, the nuclear adversary in question has all weekend to line up their ducks and hit their button without fear of reprisal. That is not a wild conjecture. This is the pentagon pulling the rug out from under MAD doctrine. It makes the world a lot less safe.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The only thing I don't like about this is the nuclear question. Pelosi is saying that Trump does not have the capability to launch nukes right now.

He's crazy, so that might be a good thing, maybe? I don't like it, though.

Lets ignore that having a lunatic at the helm is a good thing when it comes to nuclear diplomacy. Simple game theory dictates that in a game of chicken you always want to bet on the craziest lunatic. That's, like, the only good thing Trump does for us. He's always the craziest lunatic

Aside from that, though...

What if a nuclear rival was waiting for us to blink, so they can send their nukes and destroy America, without having to worry about retaliation? If the pentagon took the nukes away from the president, then nobody has the authority to launch the nukes any more, which makes this weekend the perfect time to launch such an attack. Even if Trump is removed quickly on Monday, the nuclear adversary in question has all weekend to line up their ducks and hit their button without fear of reprisal. That is not a wild conjecture. This is the pentagon pulling the rug out from under MAD doctrine. It makes the world a lot less safe.
I assume that in the event the country were to face such an eventuality either he would be given the option back or Pence would handle it?

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Impeachment seems the best option because successfully invoking Amendment 25 places Pence in the Presidency for the remainder of the term and he may then pardon Trump for all of his many Federal offenses.

Last edited:

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I'm cautiously optimistic about impeachment succeeding this time. I suspect that it will pass the House quickly with mostly Democratic support and that there will be a surprising number of Republicans voting to convict in the Senate. Even so, I don't think I'll feel like we're "safe" until Joe Biden is in office.

bubblesort

I assume that in the event the country were to face such an eventuality either he would be given the option back or Pence would handle it?
I hope so, but an even better way to handle this would be to make absolutely sure that EVERYBODY knows that we are prepared to launch nukes at any time. Make sure our adversaries know that even if Trump isn't the one handling the nuclear football, we have somebody competent who is handling it. If they don't know we are a threat, we might as well not be a threat. That's what mutually assured destruction is all about. Every single person with a nuclear button must know, with absolute certainty, that everybody else with a nuclear button is fully capable of destroying their entire civilization in one night.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
People are saying it, so...

Politics is not a simple matter of right and wrong. It is a matter of priorities. Yes, Trump did wrong, he is a bad guy. But the country is in the grips of a pandemic – over 4000 people died on Thursday – and in December, the country lost 140,000 more jobs. The Democrats have to focus on that not on Trump. The country has spent four years focusing on Trump. It’s what he loves. It’s his briar patch. Enough is enough, as Lindsey Graham put it.

There is a simple political lesson here. By giving all their attention to halting the pandemic and making sure the economy bounces back, Biden and the Democrats will be doing what the nation needs and wants.
Etc.

I don't know. I'm tired of watching my side do the politically smart thing for the optically-correct reasons. Every once in a while, I'd like to support a team who did the right thing for the right reasons.

Trump attempted a coup on his own government to maintain the power of the office he was legitimately voted out of. I believe this to be the truth. How can I respect my leaders if they let him off with (another) warning for attempting something so heinous, so destructive to my country, and all because 2024!