Trump found not guilty

Ishina

SL Rez
Many snipers don't shoot to kill as that removes just one soldier from the combat. Shoot to wound removes 2-4 soldiers including the one who was shot.
That's the analogy.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Many snipers don't shoot to kill as that removes just one soldier from the combat. Shoot to wound removes 2-4 soldiers including the one who was shot.
I realise that's not the point of the analogy but I really don't think there is such a thing as shooting to wound.

To my mind, the sniper is going to have to be not only an extraordinarily good shot, but also an extremely good anatomist and also very lucky indeed, to fire at an enemy combatant at any sort of range and be at all sure that she or he won't hit one of the target's vital organs or major arteries.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I realise that's not the point of the analogy but I really don't think there is such a thing as shooting to wound.

To my mind, the sniper is going to have to be not only an extraordinarily good shot, but also an extremely good anatomist and also very lucky indeed, to fire at an enemy combatant at any sort of range and be at all sure that she or he won't hit one of the target's vital organs or major arteries.
Never served myself, but spent way too much time with ex-military in my younger days, along with a WWII/Vietnam fascination.

Some rounds were designed to do more soft-tissue damage than penetration (typically boat-tail bullets that tumbled) after the Hague Convention of 1899 that made expanding bullets a war time no-no (why the military uses FMJ -- they're non-expanding in compliance with Hague)

Part of the "shoot to wound" might have been a misunderstanding about the purpose of FMJ being designed to "just wound." It can have over-penetration problems because a non-expanding FMJ bullet can just go right through someone as opposed to tumbling around or coming apart inside them, but really this can do just as much damage because of hydrostatic shock.

As far as actual shooting, it's at "center of mass" because it's a way easier and faster shot - in combat you want to take the fastest yet most effective shot, which depending on distance is at bellybutton level -- iron sights are dialed in for a set distance (anywhere from 200m-500m depending on era and which military, it actually got shorter from WWII {500m) to Vietnam {200-300m}), so aiming low meant you weren't inadvertently shooting over their head. Part of the "shoot to wound" thing might have originated from the "shoot at the legs." They just shot at the legs to make sure they didn't over-shoot with a rifle that was dialed-in too far out, not to intentionally "just wound."

And snipers weren't there to "just gimp someone" -- just to take them out, fatally or not.

The "wound one, take a squad out of commission" (and maybe have a chance to take potshots at an extraction chopper) protocol was more for things for like NVA booby traps.

Last edited:

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If Trump, who is supposed to be head of law enforcement in this country, can be above the law, then what incentive do the rest of us have to follow the law?
Anti-negative reinforcement?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
If Trump, who is supposed to be head of law enforcement in this country, can be above the law, then what incentive do the rest of us have to follow the law?
You've got to free your mind from the idea that Trump is just the president; in reality Trump is becoming more and more like this:

In case you don't recognise the painting: it shows Louis XIV., King of France or Sun King, an absolute ruler. The guy who build the palace of Versailles.

The most famous quote of Louis XIV. is "L ´etat , c´ est moi" meaning "the state is me." He's also got some other similarities with Trump, overall he was not a nice person and the people celebrated his death after his decade spanning reign.

And indeed an absolute ruler was above the law, Louis XIV. considered himself to be chosen by god himself; the only law he might have feared was the judgement passed upon him after death by god, but definitely no human law.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
And indeed an absolute ruler was above the law, Louis XIV. considered himself to be chosen by god himself; the only law he might have feared was the judgement passed upon him after death by god, but definitely no human law.
So did his grandson, the French found a steel based cure to his delusion.

• 1Agree

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
There are enough countries on this globe who once were a democracy and became something different, and I see no reason why the USA should be completely immune against the possibility of such a change from the inside.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
There are enough countries on this globe who once were a democracy and became something different, and I see no reason why the USA should be completely immune against the possibility of such a change from the inside.
We've voluntarily had civil rights slowly eroded, starting as far back as the McCarthy "ZOMG Communists," and continuting with Reagan's "ZOMG DRUGS," and the later "ZOMG TERRORISTZ." Like a bunch of frogs in a pot of slowly boiling water, except the frogs eventaully figure out what's going on and lose their shit.

• 1Agree

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
We've voluntarily had civil rights slowly eroded, starting as far back as the McCarthy "ZOMG Communists," and continuting with Reagan's "ZOMG DRUGS," and the later "ZOMG TERRORISTZ." Like a bunch of frogs in a pot of slowly boiling water, except the frogs eventaully figure out what's going on and lose their shit.
But will they revolt against their fate? To me it looks like the frogs just yell at each other that someone better do something - the US largely still waits for a Messiah to rescue them.

Last edited:

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
But will they revolt against their fate? Too me it looks like the frogs just yell at each other that someone better do something - the US largely still waits for a Messiah to rescue them.
The point was -- frogs have more sense than we do.

We feel safe from non-existent terror threats while the government tracks our every move and makes us take off our shoes and throw away our toothpaste and nail clippers.

And and in the list I left out the anti-money-laundering bit. The government gets to track all financial activity over X amount of dollars as well, and we're not allowed any financial anonymity (know-your-customer banking laws).

Last edited:
  • 1Agree

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I certainly respect the frog's form of government right now more than I do ours.

What? Frogs don't have *any* form of government? Ahh...

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I certainly respect the frog's form of government right now more than I do ours.

What? Frogs don't have *any* form of government? Ahh...
Well, actually, there were some that demanded a better king and ended up with a stork that ate them.

So there's that.

• 1Dead!
Reactions: Free

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well, actually, there were some that demanded a better king and ended up with a stork that ate them.
A populace-eating stork king vs Trump as POTUS. Hrm...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've started reading A Very Stable Genius, which gives the inside dirt on #45's White House.

This passage struck me:
Obama was unsettled by Trump’s victory, but less than forty-eight hours after the election, in accordance with America’s tradition of peaceful transfers of power, he welcomed his successor into the Oval Office and offered him some advice. Two things the forty-fourth president said stuck with the forty-fifth: one, that North Korea was the biggest foreign policy challenge and security threat, and, two, that he should not hire [General Mike] Flynn.

Obama personally warned Trump against hiring Flynn because he found his judgment dubious and his motives untrustworthy. Obama had fired Flynn in 2014 from the Defense Intelligence Agency amid complaints in the agency that he lacked focus and an even temperament. Trump later recounted to aides that Obama had called Flynn a “flake” and a “bad guy,” a critique Trump dismissed.
It must really hurt Trump, and presumably he tries to think about it as little as possible, that had he only followed Obama's advice, he could have avoided the whole saga of firing Comey and the Mueller investigation and so forth that led to the attempt to impeach him.

Doubtless he'd have run into trouble soon enough anyway, but by ignoring that one piece of advice from his despised predecessor, he caused himself a world of hurt, and at some level he must realise that Obama told him so.

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
You've got to free your mind from the idea that Trump is just the president; in reality Trump is becoming more and more like this:

In case you don't recognise the painting: it shows Louis XIV., King of France or Sun King, an absolute ruler. The guy who build the palace of Versailles.

The most famous quote of Louis XIV. is "L ´etat , c´ est moi" meaning "the state is me." He's also got some other similarities with Trump, overall he was not a nice person and the people celebrated his death after his decade spanning reign.

I'm waiting to see if the populace rises up and treats trump and other rich dudes the way Louis and his family were treated during the French Revolution.

It feels weird to see all the hicks from the sticks claiming Trump talks like them and has their best interests at heart, when he's almost literally saying, "Let them eat cake". I do believe Marie Antoinette lost her head doing that.

• 1Agree