Yay! Trump Banned From Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitch

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Rudy is still allowed to lie on Youtube, the FBI should hold big tech accountable for aiding in insurrection. Seriously: the servers contain tons of evidence - can they be seized?

Isabeau

Merdeuse

Other headlines make it out to sound as she (and other European leaders) are attacking (hitting on)Twitter but that isn’t what she is saying. She just finds it problematic. I really have a difficult time with sensationalism in media. That’s also problematic...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Other headlines make it out to sound as she (and other European leaders) are attacking (hitting on)Twitter but that isn’t what she is saying. She just finds it problematic. I really have a difficult time with sensationalism in media. That’s also problematic...
Both the EU and the UK would like to regulate social media and I agree, in context it's clear she's saying not that Twitter were wrong to ban Trump but that it would have been better for them to have done it inside the framework of properly written legislation, taking into account the various conflicting human rights considerations, including the rights of Twitter and Facebook to ban users for breaking their rules.

However, that would be in the EU (and almost certainly the UK too, Brexit or no Brexit) and within a completely different legal framework.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Both the EU and the UK would like to regulate social media and I agree, in context it's clear she's saying not that Twitter were wrong to ban Trump but that it would have been better for them to have done it inside the framework of properly written legislation, taking into account the various conflicting human rights considerations, including the rights of Twitter and Facebook to ban users for breaking their rules.
Not sure that what our strained federal court system needs right now is to be tasked with hearing the complaints of every single Nazi scumbag whose "First Amendment Rights" were violated when YouTube demonetized his channel or Twitter kicked him off the platform for cheering on a deadly riot.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Not sure that what our strained federal court system needs right now is to be tasked with hearing the complaints of every single Nazi scumbag whose "First Amendment Rights" were violated when YouTube demonetized his channel or Twitter kicked him off the platform for cheering on a deadly riot.
The US courts and First Amendment jurisprudence are -- fortunately, some might say --- unique to the US. I get what she's saying, I think, but it presupposes a legal framework in which the calculus used to establish the relative harms done by restricting or not restricting speech is very different.

Her views on regulating social media are relevant only on one side of the Atlantic -- they wouldn't translate into US law, or not without changing the Constitution.

And nothing about what that would detract from Twitter's general right to ban people at their discretion, in accordance with their terms of service.

bubblesort

It looks like the terrorists are running scared of the mass doxxing that is about to hit.

This brings up another issue, that's been a problem for a long time... when a dump gets big enough, it kind of becomes meaningless. Wikileaks wasn't able to make the panama papers important enough to arrest most of the people fingered in them. Does anybody even remember fishrot, or the vatican leaks from a year ago? Even Snowden's dump didn't really move the needle very much in the public conversation around surveillance.

I think it takes more human capital than we have to actually use this much data. I mean, I hope the terrorists pay for what they did, but IDK about how useful big dumps like this are. I think it's a continuum problem. Smaller releases like Trump's phone call to Georgia election officials is a big deal, but how big can a release get before we can't use it?

Maybe the release can be done in a small way, hitting one individual every few days? That would terrify the people who haven't been hit yet, making them try to lay low, which could be a good thing. I mean, it's all going to be dumped at once, we can't stop that, but maybe individuals releasing small analysis of parts of it regularly, targeting one individual at a time, would be a good thing?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
It looks like the terrorists are running scared of the mass doxxing that is about to hit.

This brings up another issue, that's been a problem for a long time... when a dump gets big enough, it kind of becomes meaningless. Wikileaks wasn't able to make the panama papers important enough to arrest most of the people fingered in them. Does anybody even remember fishrot, or the vatican leaks from a year ago? Even Snowden's dump didn't really move the needle very much in the public conversation around surveillance.

I think it takes more human capital than we have to actually use this much data. I mean, I hope the terrorists pay for what they did, but IDK about how useful big dumps like this are. I think it's a continuum problem. Smaller releases like Trump's phone call to Georgia election officials is a big deal, but how big can a release get before we can't use it?

Maybe the release can be done in a small way, hitting one individual every few days? That would terrify the people who haven't been hit yet, making them try to lay low, which could be a good thing. I mean, it's all going to be dumped at once, we can't stop that, but maybe individuals releasing small analysis of parts of it regularly, targeting one individual at a time, would be a good thing?

Mass doxxing isn't really accurate. The only information is that they made available in public posts on Parler, not their driver's license and all that stuff. Note that 'crash override' aka @donk_enby was behind the original post saying all that stuff was revealed and now says

• 1Agree
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

Mass doxxing isn't really accurate. The only information is that they made available in public posts on Parler, not their driver's license and all that stuff. Note that 'crash override' aka @donk_enby was behind the original post saying all that stuff was revealed and now says

Oh yeah, I know they don't have the drivers licences and all that, unless it comes from another source. You can still do a lot of doxxing with what they do have, though. I think I remember Crash posting at one point that all the photographs and videos still have all their metadata, which means we have locations and all kinds of other information. Maybe even phone numbers. Shouldn't be too difficult to ruin a terrorist's day with stuff like that, it just takes a little digging.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Last week began with an insurrection, siege of the US Capitol building, and rejection of democracy, and it ended with all major social media companies banning the one-time impeached 45th president of the United States, Donald J. Trump.

One of those companies was Twitter. On the Donald.win forum, Trump supporters announced a plan to show their discontent by protesting in front of the San Francisco headquarters earlier today. The building was empty, with Twitter employees working from home to prevent the spread of COVID-19, but there was still a heavy police presence to protect against mob violence. What happened instead was a fairly quiet event, with just a single pro-Trump protester in evidence — and two counter-protesters there to applaud Twitter’s decision to deplatform the outgoing president.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Chalice Yao

bubblesort

This is interesting. The number 2 city is Sully, South Dakota, and number 9 is Jackson, South Dakota. There is nothing out there. I had to look it up on google maps to make sure, but I broke down in that part of the country once, while on a road trip, and I had to get towed 150 miles to the nearest garage. It's a pretty part of the country to break down in, but prairie dogs outnumber people 10 to 1.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
This is interesting. The number 2 city is Sully, South Dakota, and number 9 is Jackson, South Dakota. There is nothing out there. I had to look it up on google maps to make sure, but I broke down in that part of the country once, while on a road trip, and I had to get towed 150 miles to the nearest garage. It's a pretty part of the country to break down in, but prairie dogs outnumber people 10 to 1.

If it's normalized for population and one guy in Sully County there posted 200 videos, that would be equivalent to 127,000 videos coming out of Multnomah County here (Portland's county). So not that surprising.

• 1Agree
Reactions: bubblesort