Trump Administration Quietly Trying to Turn us into a Police State

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
A while ago I was reading the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz - and realized I can't get from my house to the bodega down the street without being photographed. It doesn't matter which way I go.... I also cannot get from here to the dog park without being photographed....
Yes, and the cameras people buy for their homes and small businesses are usually in one commercial application.

Is it just me, or does it seem as though all this commercial surveillance introduces a kind of mental effect? Back in the day, driving into the woods meant you were alone and possibly “lost.” There’s value in that.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
If you never take it home, yes.
For example, if you drive with it in a car that has OnStar or goes past a camera catching your license plate, it’s clearly your phone.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I think a burn phone may be your friend
Full. Defcon. Mode.

Google defcon for first time attendees. You do NOT want to end up on the wall of sheep.

It is probably why I would never go. I would take my spouse and she would NOT like the things because I know I would be a target. Burner phones would be a must. Our computers would stay home. I would probably bring an old thinkpad with a nonstandard OS and no wifi drivers.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yes, and the cameras people buy for their homes and small businesses are usually in one commercial application.

Is it just me, or does it seem as though all this commercial surveillance introduces a kind of mental effect? Back in the day, driving into the woods meant you were alone and possibly “lost.” There’s value in that.
Bad things! Bad things! Those things are insanely insecure. I bought one to take a look at it, probed the net and did a double take, then looked it up and found even worse information. It is now completely unplugged from power and the net. Plus pointed at a wall of dvds.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Full. Defcon. Mode.

Google defcon for first time attendees. You do NOT want to end up on the wall of sheep.

It is probably why I would never go. I would take my spouse and she would NOT like the things because I know I would be a target. Burner phones would be a must. Our computers would stay home. I would probably bring an old thinkpad with a nonstandard OS and no wifi drivers.
I would go to the truck stop and duct tape my current phone to a trailer.
I am single, but queer and a Jew. Never again means never again.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Y'all seem to be concerned in a completely wrong direction.

The GOP has managed act almost as if it actually cared about human life for about 14 days, but their patience is running out. They seem to be considering whether they'll order everybody back to work tomorrow, or wait till Thursday. All they're waiting on is the go-ahead from Faux News.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Y'all seem to be concerned in a completely wrong direction.

The GOP has managed act almost as if it actually cared about human life for about 14 days, but their patience is running out. They seem to be considering whether they'll order everybody back to work tomorrow, or wait till Thursday. All they're waiting on is the go-ahead from Faux News.
Isn’t this more of the same, though? America has been turning into a big work camp with unlivable wages, inaccessible healthcare and slashing the safety net. The school to prison pipeline. The free money for Republican churches and businesses.

Forcing the poor back to work just completes our transformation into a dystopia where over half the population struggles and dies and a fourth hides at home in front of screens hoping they’re not next.

Free

behatted
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
5/2009
SLU Posts
Isn’t this more of the same, though? America has been turning into a big work camp with unlivable wages, inaccessible healthcare and slashing the safety net. The school to prison pipeline. The free money for Republican churches and businesses.
Thanks Obama.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Thanks Obama.
Not sure I understand the reference here. It would have probably happened even faster without Obama. As it is the House has only been able to slow it down, since we don’t have a majority government.

So I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I supported Obama, and Oregon’s Dem Congresspeople, and then supported Clinton.

Free

behatted
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
5/2009
SLU Posts
Not sure I understand the reference here. It would have probably happened even faster without Obama. As it is the House has only been able to slow it down, since we don’t have a majority government.

So I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I supported Obama, and Oregon’s Dem Congresspeople, and then supported Clinton.
Jesus. It's A JOKE.

Have I accidentally transported into the Mirror Universe? Where is goateed Spock?!

• 2Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Lexxi

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts

Know your meme

About
"Thanks, Obama!" is a sarcastic expression used by critics of President Barack Obama to blame personal troubles and inconveniences on public policies supported or enacted by the administration. The phrase is often used to caption animated GIFs in which the subject appears to be struggling with a rather simple task, satirizing those who scapegoat Obama as the cause of problems for which he has little or no influence.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Trump can lift any work/travel restrictions at the federal level, but for example the City of Atlanta started a "stay at home" order yesterday, and they have the police to enforce it. A lot of companies will decide not to reopen, either for health reasons or to avoid local fines for violating a city order.

That's the thing about a three tier government (federal, state, and county/city). Power is distributed. Fulton County, of which Atlanta makes up about half, has closed schools, courthouses, libraries, parks, etc. What's he gonna do, send federal troops to drag teachers and students back to school?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
A while ago I was reading the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz - and realized I can't get from my house to the bodega down the street without being photographed. It doesn't matter which way I go.... I also cannot get from here to the dog park without being photographed....
Ah well this is still the harmless stuff, WAPS is a thing. Just watch this video from 2013, so seven years ago - and I am sure that they did not display the full capacity of this thing back then, and that that it evolved massively since then.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Trump can lift any work/travel restrictions at the federal level, but for example the City of Atlanta started a "stay at home" order yesterday, and they have the police to enforce it. A lot of companies will decide not to reopen, either for health reasons or to avoid local fines for violating a city order.

That's the thing about a three tier government (federal, state, and county/city). Power is distributed. Fulton County, of which Atlanta makes up about half, has closed schools, courthouses, libraries, parks, etc. What's he gonna do, send federal troops to drag teachers and students back to school?
What he can try to do is cut off -- or greatly delay -- aid to states that defy Dear Leader's Divine Will.

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What he can try to do is cut off -- or greatly delay -- aid to states that defy Dear Leader's Divine Will.
I'm probably wrong, but listening to the various medical professionals who've been interviewed and reading those who have been writing, offering their personal perceptions, the federal government is delivering neither PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) nor leading anyone in the production of it, thus greatly endangering everyone. Trump's incompetence at governing and leading has filtered down to create a government that is less competent than Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina. Yet Trump's supporters continue to believe in him and will probably continue to do so to their dying breaths of this disease.