Yay! Tried plane flying last night..

Benjamin Opel

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
March, 2010
SLU Posts
Was hanging in Magnum last night, saw this dude flying this huge jet - it looked awesome. Asked if he could fly me around the sim as I don't think I have ever experienced flying in SL before (probably have, but I can't remember :LOL:) and it was awesome. 0 lag when sim crossing too lol.

Headed into the market place and bought a little plane, it's awesome! Has anyone experienced flying in SL? Man, I think I could be hooked.. haha.

The dude I met last night told me that SL Aviation in SL is huge, he gave me a bunch of landmarks to busy airports and communities - I'll be sure to check these out this weekend!

Pic of this jet and me relaxing in bed with the laptop last night.. haha.

Sid

Lurking until the next post
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
The way I fly: PgUP, then the arrow buttons for directions until done and then PgDn.
No real need for a plane.
And of course: TP is much easier for long distance transportation in SL.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I've experienced flying in a vehicle in SL, and I've also experimented with scripting for flying vehicles, but generally it's easier to do as Sid does.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Marianne McCann

Feted Inner Child
SL Rez
Joined SLU
06-01-2008
SLU Posts
Was hanging in Magnum last night, saw this dude flying this huge jet - it looked awesome. Asked if he could fly me around the sim as I don't think I have ever experienced flying in SL before (probably have, but I can't remember :LOL:) and it was awesome. 0 lag when sim crossing too lol.

Headed into the market place and bought a little plane, it's awesome! Has anyone experienced flying in SL? Man, I think I could be hooked.. haha.

The dude I met last night told me that SL Aviation in SL is huge, he gave me a bunch of landmarks to busy airports and communities - I'll be sure to check these out this weekend!
It is huge! I loooove flying in SL (and contrary to another poster, flying with a vehicle is a fun recreational activity, and is very different from the pedestrian Page up type we all have used for a decade). I have several planes I use from time to time. from little bush planes to full on WWII bombers.

Here's a couple of my faves:

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
but generally it's easier to do as Sid does.
Surely though, making things harder is a large part of the point? I mean at the end of the day, flying in Second Life is a form of play, and a large element of play is the setting of arbitrary rules that make things more difficult for yourself.

Sid

Lurking until the next post
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
I know that it's all about the fun of it. I've flown a plane in SL. And an huge balloon with a bicycle underneath it should still be somewhere in my inventory. I've been there, done that. But I simply like the flying animations that my avatar uses.
And if it were possible to TP in real life, you would never ever see me in a plane again. TP-ing is so convenient.

• 1Like
Reactions: Khamon

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I flew on a hulking balloon-supported-ship-deck-like-platform ages, possibly a decade, ago. It was quite fun and I remember thinking how awesome it was to fly over the grid sitting on a navigable object. But I cannot remember who built and was piloting the thing; and I never acquired anything like it of my own. Might should do that to put a little sparkle back into being there. Well, not There, old joke ha ha ha

MoiraKathleen

SL Rez
I have a small collection of various flying things in my inventory (that I probably haven't tried out), but no planes. So 2 things for my SL to-do list - (1) get a plane and try it out, and (2) try out and sort out the various flying things I already have.

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
One of the most fun projects I took on was building a functional HUD into a star trek peregrine-class fighter. Building it into the vehicle, not as something the pilot had to wear. A functional artificial horizon, heading and pitch ribbons, gunsight with directional carets for the n nearest targets including a shoot-cue when on target and a "check-six" warning for targets converting to an aft aspect. It only really worked with mouselook flight control of course, but since that was the nature of the vehicle script I used that was fine....

Marianne McCann

Feted Inner Child
SL Rez
Joined SLU
06-01-2008
SLU Posts
One of the most fun projects I took on was building a functional HUD into a star trek peregrine-class fighter. Building it into the vehicle, not as something the pilot had to wear. A functional artificial horizon, heading and pitch ribbons, gunsight with directional carets for the n nearest targets including a shoot-cue when on target and a "check-six" warning for targets converting to an aft aspect. It only really worked with mouselook flight control of course, but since that was the nature of the vehicle script I used that was fine....
With the advent of mesh, functional dashboards have very much become a thing. It's really something to be able to fly in mouse look or an appropriate camera position and view your actual functioning instruments in flight. For example...

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I like flying in things that would be impossible to fly with in real life.
Recently, it's been an enormous jack-o-lantern, but there's also been a sex coffin and a UFO made of wood and duct tape.
It really adds ambiance to the Blake Sea yacht club sims.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Brenda Archer