Tricks with Bakes on Mesh

Maitimo

mostly 'armless
SL Rez
I have an old pair of system jeans that I love, but with BOM there's no flare to them, they-re skin-tight all the way down, and they did not come with sculpt cuffs. So today I had a brainwave. A pair of sculpty cuffs from another pair of jeans, with the BOM lower body texture applied to them. Tweaked the scale and offset to ensure only the leg part was shown, and it actually kinda works! It's not a great match where the mesh and sculpt meet, but hey, these are patchwork jeans, they don't need to match.
Would you believe I've had these jeans since 2006...

For reference, the scale is roughly 0.2 horizontal (mirrored on one leg), 0.5 vertical, offset is -0.3 horizontal, 0.1 vertical, ymmv.

Anyone else using BOM for something unconventional?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I have an old pair of system jeans that I love, but with BOM there's no flare to them, they-re skin-tight all the way down, and they did not come with sculpt cuffs. So today I had a brainwave. A pair of sculpty cuffs from another pair of jeans, with the BOM lower body texture applied to them. Tweaked the scale and offset to ensure only the leg part was shown, and it actually kinda works! It's not a great match where the mesh and sculpt meet, but hey, these are patchwork jeans, they don't need to match.
Would you believe I've had these jeans since 2006...

For reference, the scale is roughly 0.2 horizontal (mirrored on one leg), 0.5 vertical, offset is -0.3 horizontal, 0.1 vertical, ymmv.

Anyone else using BOM for something unconventional?
Oh! That's an awesome idea. And I'm using the universal layer for making heterochromatic eyes.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Mesh body makers who are doing things right with BOM include Slink, which effectively has their body mesh replace the system one. Now you can just apply any system layer item to yourself, and...um...bom! It just works.

Mesh body makers who are NOT doing things right with BOM are Maitreya. Their recent Lara 5.1 update has BOM addon 'parts' (with its own HUD), which provide BOM elements for the breasts, belly button and the naughtiest bit. Fucking stupid.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Mesh body makers who are doing things right with BOM include Slink, which effectively has their body mesh replace the system one. Now you can just apply any system layer item to yourself, and...um...bom! It just works.

Mesh body makers who are NOT doing things right with BOM are Maitreya. Their recent Lara 5.1 update has BOM addon 'parts' (with its own HUD), which provide BOM elements for the breasts, belly button and the naughtiest bit. Fucking stupid.
This is why I swapped to Slink again.

-not that I've gotten a Maitreya on anyone but one shop alt -and well, because it was cheapest option at the time, since it and Lelutka heads used the same skins, so no buying a skin. Its been useful because it does give me a way to rig body jewelry for it.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
This is why I swapped to Slink again.

-not that I've gotten a Maitreya on anyone but one shop alt -and well, because it was cheapest option at the time, since it and Lelutka heads used the same skins, so no buying a skin. Its been useful because it does give me a way to rig body jewelry for it.
I have both, but I can't always do that, because I have some things that only came in Maitreya, same with my alt (who I only bought that body for so she could wear some yummy hunt prizes).
I haven't used BOM much, though, because I always think people won't see me right.
Are most people using it now?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I have both, but I can't always do that, because I have some things that only came in Maitreya, same with my alt (who I only bought that body for so she could wear some yummy hunt prizes).
I haven't used BOM much, though, because I always think people won't see me right.
Are most people using it now?
I mostly only hang out with my spouse and take pictures. Also, I don't buy anything for Maitreya only because I don't use the body, even on the alt that has it - I just am not at all fond of it. But, since someone specifically commissions piercings for it, I'm really glad I have it, since I refuse to attempt to jump through hoops to get the dev rig for it.

I like anyone who makes it easy for others to make stuff to help support -them-, and I tend to buy from businesses I like.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

There are items that are applier only that can be applied to the addon layers, which are a convenience. Additionally, by having addon layers, you can change the actual geometry so you don't have nipple-age or camel toe in your applier clothing. If you're not wearing applier clothing in any way, then you can just wear the base body. Giving people options is not a bad thing. There is an argument to be made for putting the addon functionality into the main HUD but then some people would complain about bloat for features they don't use.

You can just wear the base body with bakes on mesh if you want; if you don't need the extra stuff, good for you.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Free

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Slink packs the original "appliers" style body in with their new BOM body. You can switch around and wear what you want, how you want.

I have a lot of pre-applier system clothes I'd like to re-integrate into my current wardrobe. Maitreya doesn't (yet) offer me an option to do that.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Slink packs the original "appliers" style body in with their new BOM body. You can switch around and wear what you want, how you want.

I have a lot of pre-applier system clothes I'd like to re-integrate into my current wardrobe. Maitreya doesn't (yet) offer me an option to do that.
Yes, you can. You just have to wear the separate onion layers as needed but the base body is a BOM body and you can wear that if you want. They have two different approaches but basically do the same thing, you just have to press the Bakes on Mesh button on the skin tab and then it wears just like any other BOM body.

ETA: I never played with those addons since I basically stopped wearing this body, but I see why they are there now. They get rid of the nipples and camel toe and things that should not be there, so that you do not have to wear an onion layer to get the right geometry. Those addons make the base body have the shape advantage of the underwear/clothing layer without needing to wear that complete geometry. It's quite smart, you just don't understand what it's for. Should those toggles be the main HUD? Maybe, they could fit onto the MISC tab, but they provide useful functionality for the base body without needing to go full onion-skin to not have nipples and camel toe. And those did not show up in 5.1, they were there in the 5.0 release.

Snapzilla Snapshot ~ Cristalle Karami - Maitreya Addon demo - base body 2

Last edited:

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I wear BOM pretty much exclusively with Maitreya with no addons attached.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
OK, apologies all around, including to Maitreya.

I've spent only a little time with version 5.0 and 5.1 of Lara and never noticed the Bakes On Mesh button in the HUD! I originally thought their BOM add-on parts, which work in conjunction with the HUD to "smooth" out distortions on the system layers, was an attempt to hack around just replacing the system avatar. So wrong! Fools rush in, etc.

Sorry. I might blame Maitreya's documentation on Bakes on Mesh in Lara 5, which spends time discussing what BOM is, how system layers work, the add-on parts stuff, but nothing like a simple "click the Bakes on Mesh button on the HUD's Skin/Base tab..."*, but I should have done a little homework and checked a few videos before blowing it off.

* Also, the off state for buttons in their HUD are so dark on my display. I honestly don't see what they are until I've clicked/enabled them. But mea culpa.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Not a big fan of their method of implementation, but it's hardly "Fucking stupid."

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
I wish Slink had left in the old alpha options with the redux bodies. We're in a transitional period, and if older mesh clothes don't include an alpha layer, you're forced to make your own. While that's not a problem for many of us here, a lot of people don't have the know-how for graphics editing.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I wish Slink had left in the old alpha options with the redux bodies. We're in a transitional period, and if older mesh clothes don't include an alpha layer, you're forced to make your own. While that's not a problem for many of us here, a lot of people don't have the know-how for graphics editing.
Visit the Slink store. Where the mesh bodies are on sale, there's a white product board that says "Extra Alpha Layers." Click it and it'll give you a folder with almost 50 alphas for various clothing cuts - along with textures of those alphas for those who can handle some graphics editing.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Even the base body package includes some alphas -but I do want to go and grab the extras.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Visit the Slink store. Where the mesh bodies are on sale, there's a white product board that says "Extra Alpha Layers." Click it and it'll give you a folder with almost 50 alphas for various clothing cuts - along with textures of those alphas for those who can handle some graphics editing.
And I found out there's a breast reducer for slink. Another alt will get a body!

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
I updated one Slink body out of curiosity and it is still a mystery how on Earth it works to me as could not set it up. I pretty much used all the bodies by now and those that updated to BoM are fairly simple (although, took me a while to realise Omega Evolved does nothing to Maitreya but they have their own applier kit) even if they vary in implementation. It could be a case of Slink bugging out where something else is an applier such as eyes or head skin. I think Signature remains my favourite as far as usability goes although their new huds lag quite a lot.