Trans People & Second Life, Self Discovery Through Virtual Embodiment in Virtual Worlds (Video)

lucagrabacr

SL Rez
I questioned and interviewed some of my trans friends about what their virtual embodiments meant to them in regard to their process of self discovery - the results varied. I hope you guys find this informative / entertaining c=

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hmm, it seems your sample is not quite as varied as it said. Most of the people thinking about their gender when they enter a virtual world do not just stop or something. Exactly what the result is varies of course, but the sample on the vid strongly implies most do not continue.

• 1Like
Reactions: lucagrabacr

lucagrabacr

SL Rez
Hmm, it seems your sample is not quite as varied as it said. Most of the people thinking about their gender when they enter a virtual world do not just stop or something. Exactly what the result is varies of course, but the sample on the vid strongly implies most do not continue.
The results I included in the video are balanced in my opinion because out of 3 people, 1 stopped transitioning, 1 is still transitioning, and 1 is unsure whether or not they want to transition at all. But yeah maybe I should have included more people! (I was going to, but other trans friends of mine that I asked didn't want to be recorded, 1 of them have actually finished the physical transition process)

Edit: Plus the video might be too long if I included too many people, but I guess it isn't that long

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Han Held

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The results I included in the video are balanced in my opinion because out of 3 people, 1 stopped transitioning, 1 is still transitioning, and 1 is unsure whether or not they want to transition at all. But yeah maybe I should have included more people! (I was going to, but other trans friends of mine that I asked didn't want to be recorded, 1 of them have actually finished the physical transition process)

Edit: Plus the video might be too long if I included too many people, but I guess it isn't that long
Unfortunately such an 'equal time' presentation skews the data, especially when you use a small sample size. Would you have, oh, 1 doctor on saying smoking is bad and 1 saying you should smoke all the time? While people may choose to not transition of course since the only one in the vid who transitioned does not even speak it makes it appear that that person was an anomaly.

Han Held

It's all part of my Rococo N Roll Fantasy
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Unfortunately such an 'equal time' presentation skews the data, especially when you use a small sample size. Would you have, oh, 1 doctor on saying smoking is bad and 1 saying you should smoke all the time? While people may choose to not transition of course since the only one in the vid who transitioned does not even speak it makes it appear that that person was an anomaly.
You're assuming that the intent was to make an scientifically rigorous video -I don't get the impression that was the intent at all.

It's representative of different positions. I think that's perfectly valid, particularly since it's a survey of people who Luca knows, and not a formal academic study.

[edited for spelling]

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
You're assuming that the intent was to make an scientifically rigorous video -I don't get the impression that was the intent at all.

It's representative of different positions. I think that's perfectly valid, particularly since it's a survey of people who Luca knows, and not a formal academic study.

[edited for spelling]
True, I might be overreacting but I am also concerned with how data affects the gestalt that people not familiar with a topic understand. Most of them do not look to see if something is peer reviewed.