Tilia, a prelude to decline?

PandoraB

what would prevent a Tilia registered user to do the payouts for a non-registered Tilia user? Im sure it would be against the TOS, but pretty impractical to impose (payments are done inworld, like any "real" purchases). Payments outside SL would be done with paypal (or any payment service).

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
And here we go again:
  1. New user comes on VVO and starts thread about a SL grievance
  2. New user asks members for their reaction/opinion
  3. VVO members volunteer answers the new user doesn't like
  4. New user counter responds with hostility
  5. VVO members take a collective deep breath and reiterate why the grievance isn't reasonable and/or fixable by VVO members
  6. New user gets even more hostile
  7. VVO members lose patience and start to pull out the water pistols and doughnut sling-shots
  8. Much hilarity ensues
I judge we're entering step 5, with 6 only a post or two away.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
And here we go again:
  5. VVO members take a collective deep breath and reiterate why the grievance isn't reasonable and/or fixable by VVO members
  7. VVO members lose patience and start to pull out the water pistols and doughnut sling-shots
  8. Much hilarity ensues
Apparently you forgot to squeeze in the lolcats as step 5A.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Yeah like you expect people who started recently to make 1k$ per month?
People who started recently aren't going to make a lot of money from SL anyway. I don't know of a single commercially successful merchant/creator who have joined since 2013 (that's an easy time limit to check since it's when the Resident acount names were introduced). I've asked about it severl times on this forum and/or the official forum and so far nobody else has been able to come up with aname either.

In other words, if you don't make a lot of money from SL already, you never will so don't worry about it. (Unless you have some absolutely brilliantly new innovation nobody's heard of and eveybody want that is. If you do, good for you!)

---

The information Tilia requires is exactly the same that LL used to require. There's no difference there, you just have to resubmit it all.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
what would prevent a Tilia registered user to do the payouts for a non-registered Tilia user? Im sure it would be against the TOS, but pretty impractical to impose (payments are done inworld, like any "real" purchases). Payments outside SL would be done with paypal (or any payment service).
If Tilia will be a legitimate financial institution in the eyes of US law this kind of behavior would probably "officially" count as money-laundering - although, I don't see the feds wasting time pursuing SL users who do this if the money wasn't originally made illegally. Unless you're pulling so much money out of SL "under the table" this way that it becomes an income tax fraud/evasion thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: Sid and PandoraB

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
You know, there is an alternative to the Tillia solution. Linden Lab doesn't have to make residents jump through all these pesky regulatory hoops that the law requires of them in order to cash out. There is another option. Linden Lab could just make Second Life a closed system and stop allowing cash outs entirely.

That's the alternative, OP. The Lindens remove any path that allows residents to turn $Ls into their local currency. They could still allow you to put money in. They could still allow you to trade $Ls with other residents, but if you wanted to turn some of your $Ls back into USD or Euros or whatever, sorry, you're shit outta luck.

Does that alternative appeal more?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
Is it just me or the question itself is a bit shady? Nothing wrong in being curious but Tilla's ToS seems very standard to me as far as internet businesses keeping goes. I am also a UK dweller as Innula and solicitor comparison was much better than any I would have made.

It reminds me of bitcoins as recently learned the hard way that one is not able to purchase an amount over around 40 pounds without proof of identity and I certainly did not wish to give such to a weird internet based money exchange (and banks said same but mine just does not do those at all). I get why they established the law and that it needs to be controlled same as SL needs to be. You are technically being self-employed and need to do all the managing and accounting if you make a decent amount and cash out.

As others said - any company is hackable and recently British Airways phone app hack corrupted and exposed bank accounts of users resulting in loads of panicking and presumed stealing (presumed as followed it only at the beginning).

You probably just asked in a strange manner and are totally not dodgy and I get that you had less obligations and felt more secure with data before Tilla. However, look at bigger picture - SL is full of scammers and by that I mean who use business in SL as a front to money laundering (did research and report one) so some amount of regulation would be good. If you do not fancy that - change platform or go into full on game design.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
And here we go again:
  8. Much hilarity ensues
I skipped 5 and 6. And why slingshot when you can make a doughnut cannon!

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale
SL Rez
SLU Posts
If there are blokes who decide to jump from the top of the Empire State Building, do you feel more comfortable about jumping yourself then?

That's not much of an example. In all of its time only 36 people have jumped off the Empire State Building. More that 1600 have jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
If Tilia will be a legitimate financial institution in the eyes of US law this kind of behavior would probably "officially" count as money-laundering - although, I don't see the feds wasting time pursuing SL users who do this if the money wasn't originally made illegally. Unless you're pulling so much money out of SL "under the table" this way that it becomes an income tax fraud/evasion thing.
Anything taken out and moved through PayPal will get reported by PayPal if it is a significant sum.

• 1Agree
Reactions: eku zhong

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Is it just me or the question itself is a bit shady? Nothing wrong in being curious but Tilla's ToS seems very standard to me as far as internet businesses keeping goes. I am also a UK dweller as Innula and solicitor comparison was much better than any I would have made.
I think it's just that, for Reasons, a lot of people don't have a YUGE amount of confidence in LL, so they tend to presume the worst about new things like this; or when things aren't crystal clear and there's room for interpretation, they aren't really inclined to interpret things in a way that's generous to LL.

Rumors are a big problem too, and rumors don't have to be anything close to reality to make people worried.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The money I make from sl still comes in so, I will put up with any new stuff.

tetrasodium

SL Rez
People who started recently aren't going to make a lot of money from SL anyway. I don't know of a single commercially successful merchant/creator who have joined since 2013 (that's an easy time limit to check since it's when the Resident acount names were introduced). I've asked about it severl times on this forum and/or the official forum and so far nobody else has been able to come up with aname either.
In other words, if you don't make a lot of money from SL already, you never will so don't worry about it. (Unless you have some absolutely brilliantly new innovation nobody's heard of and eveybody want that is. If you do, good for you!)
It's not about how much you make, it's the ability to withdraw....

It reminds me of bitcoins as recently learned the hard way that one is not able to purchase an amount over around 40 pounds without proof of identity and I certainly did not wish to give such to a weird internet based money exchange
I don't have any problem with giving my ID to valid corporations that actually cover my ass in case their site gets hacked and money are lost (see, Secure Asset Fund for Users (SAFU) for example).
I trade crypto on the world biggest exchanges and none of them ask me for an utility bill.

As i see this thread content is deteriorating it seems that most of you don't care about the future of the platform you are in, the general sentiment is that the average iq here is gradually going below 80, i guess you deserve everything that LL throws at you after all. I yet have to see people who actually cash out answering the questions.