WTF This woke me up at 4:30

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
News is kind of uncertain but apparently a metalworking shop.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
He posted an updated video with sound.

I'm a bit over 10 miles away so I thought it was leftover fireworks at first.

• 1Thanks

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Here's another clip.

It's a Nest camera, so I can't say for certain whether the clip was posted by the homeowner or by someone who hacked the camera.

By the way, does this seem to happen specifically in Houston or the surrounding areas like a lot over the last year or so, or is it just me? I swear there's some huge explosion in or around Houston every couple of months lately.

• 1Agree

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Houston has no zoning and Texas has lax regulations on chemicals. A very bracing combination.

• 1Thanks

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
You can stop right there.

This wasn't a chemical plant. But I'm sure there are minimal regulation on machine shops too.
What in the hell does a machine shop have in it that could explode so violently it could be heard from over ten miles away??? Like holy freaking shit!

• 1Thanks

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Looks like it might take a couple of days for authorities to figure out what might have caused the explosion. There's some pictures at the article, the damage is impressive.

The explosion damaged some 200 homes and businesses. Police blocked off nearby streets, bordering a mile-long “hot zone” on Genard and Clay roads to the north and south and Gessner Road and Steffani Lane to the east and west.

A hazardous materials team responded, and the Red Cross set up a shelter at a church a few blocks west of the site. Arson investigators and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also joined the investigation.

Firefighters took one person to the hospital, Fire Chief Sam Peña said, and spent hours working to shut off propylene leaking inside the warehouse. Later in the day, HFD officials said an additional 18 people had “self-reported” to local emergency rooms because of problems breathing, cuts, or other injuries.

The shockwave devastated the manufacturing warehouse. It crumbled metal siding like aluminum foil.
The bit about hazmat teams having to shut off leaking propylene has led some people to talk about it having been a propylene explosion, but I'm not sure it's been determined yet whether that's true or if the propylene leak was just caused by the explosion and wasn't part of it.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I heard the explosion was so violent, it blew houses off their foundations.

• 1Thanks

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
The bit about hazmat teams having to shut off leaking propylene has led some people to talk about it having been a propylene explosion, but I'm not sure it's been determined yet whether that's true or if the propylene leak was just caused by the explosion and wasn't part of it.
If the tank exploded it probably wouldn't be merely *leaking* any more. :)

What in the hell does a machine shop have in it that could explode so violently it could be heard from over ten miles away??? Like holy freaking shit!
Welding gasses at the very least.