This New Dune Film

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Can't find much about this but it's due to be released next year. This article about Jason Momoa brought it back to my attention today.

Current casting includes:
  • Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
  • Stellan Skarsgård as The Baron Harkonnen
  • Rebecca Ferguson as The Lady Jessica
  • Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atredies
  • Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atredies
  • Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck
The Khamons approve of the casting choices so far with only a bit of reservation about Skarsgård but he can probably pull it off no pun intended. I doubt anybody can successfully play Gurney Halleck ever again in the two universes. It'll be nice to see a Paul that at least looks to be in his mid-teens though Chalamet's voice grates in our ears when he speaks softly and there's a lot of speaking softly in the books.

This version will cover the first half of the first book according to an interview that I read and can't find again. Will there be weirding modules? Of course not silly, what a stupid idea, but I don't actually know. Please post more info if you have or find it between now and release.

edit: time is a wibbly wobbly soup

Last edited:

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It does yes. Oh but my calendar says 2019. Must pay better attention to that.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Please let them get to the full series this time. I feel like I have seen the first 2 (or 3 depending on how you count Messiah) books on a loop since HS.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Please let them get to the full series this time. I feel like I have seen the first 2 (or 3 depending on how you count Messiah) books on a loop since HS.
Dune in book form is 2/3 the length of the first Game of Thrones book. It took all of Season 1 to cover that much material (10 hours). So to do justice to Dune, you would expect about 6 hours of film time, or two *long* movies The whole series is, what, 8 books? Not counting the other books by different authors. Dune is about the same length as one volume of the Lord of the Rings. They did 3 hour movies, but had to cut material to fit that time. So to do all of the Dune series, we are talking TV seasons, not a film trilogy.

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Six books in the original series, though the links between one book and the next become increasingly tenuous the further in you get. Depending on how much effort you want to put in (and how much brain explosion you want to avoid) there are several jumping off points that don't leave you part way through a story.

If you're happy with the basic experience, you can jump off at the end of Dune and have a complete experience. If you want to dig deeper into the whole Kwitzatz Haderach thing, you read up until God Emporer, with the caveat that that's the book where Frank Herbert's crazy really starts to show through. If you want the full experience, you then read books 5 and 6 and feel pissed off at the clearly unfinished end to the story. Alternatively, you can use this unfinishedness as an excuse to seek out the "Part 7" novels Brian Herbert wrote along with Kevin J Anderson. Then, instead of feeling just pissed off, you can feel pissed off and sullied by how absolutely dire those books are.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I have not read the nonprequels his son did yet but plan on doing it on the current series reread. I was reading the later books as they were published then ... nothing. So yeah, i have done the read where they did not exist.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
If you're happy with the basic experience, you can jump off at the end of Dune and have a complete experience. If you want to dig deeper into the whole Kwitzatz Haderach thing, you read up until God Emporer, with the caveat that that's the book where Frank Herbert's crazy really starts to show through.
Smart people end on Children of Dune, so at least you get that sense of hope for an ending and retain some of the wonder and mystery over what Leto II is accepting onto himself. Keep going and you lose all hope, left only with the question of what sort of batshit lunatic would choose to become spice-breathing fish bait just to save the universe. (spoilers?)

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
So to do all of the Dune series, we are talking TV seasons, not a film trilogy.
Yes. What kind of cray cray leads to someone thinking they can do Dune properly with a film? But I'm one of those optimists still hoping for a proper LOTR miniseries that has EVERYTHING, Tom Bombadil, Fredregar Bolger, Ghan-buri-Ghan, Beregond AND the scouring of the Shire.

If you're happy with the basic experience, you can jump off at the end of Dune and have a complete experience. If you want to dig deeper into the whole Kwitzatz Haderach thing, you read up until God Emporer, with the caveat that that's the book where Frank Herbert's crazy really starts to show through.
I am rather fond of Moneo in God Emperor and Miles Teg in Heretics and Chapterhouse though.

Alternatively, you can use this unfinishedness as an excuse to seek out the "Part 7" novels Brian Herbert wrote along with Kevin J Anderson. Then, instead of feeling just pissed off, you can feel pissed off and sullied by how absolutely dire those books are.
Ha!

Keep going and you lose all hope, left only with the question of what sort of batshit lunatic would choose to become spice-breathing fish bait just to save the universe. (spoilers?)
Only my Golden Path shall save humanity. Kralizec will come. ;-)

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Another approach is to make a "Game of Houses" series, that starts *before* the novel Dune begins, and shows how the various houses maneuver against each other. The overthrow of the Emperor then becomes a season-ending climax.

• 1Like

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Another approach is to make a "Game of Houses" series, that starts *before* the novel Dune begins, and shows how the various houses maneuver against each other. The overthrow of the Emperor then becomes a season-ending climax.
Please, no. Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson covered that ground in two separate sets of fanfiction prequel novels. The books are eye wateringly awful and Herbert the younger has enough control of his father's estate to dictate those novels are canon. Any potential movie or television treatment will use these books as source material. This is something the world wants less than a Twilight reboot.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Personal aside...

I wouldn't mind if a few good authors or filmmakers or what have you were let into Herbert's world and allowed to tell other sorts of Dune stories. I myself would love an accounting of the Fremen during Muad'Dib's jihad.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi and Myficals

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I wouldn't mind if a few good authors or filmmakers or what have you were let into Herbert's world and allowed to tell other sorts of Dune stories. I myself would love an accounting of the Fremen during Muad'Dib's jihad.
Oh, definitely. I'm not against the idea of other writers tackling Dune. I'm mostly against "other writers" being the pair currently pissing in the pool.

• 1Agree
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Dune in book form is 2/3 the length of the first Game of Thrones book. It took all of Season 1 to cover that much material (10 hours). So to do justice to Dune, you would expect about 6 hours of film time, or two *long* movies
The key is conciseness. This article might inspire some ideas.
16 Incredibly Terrible Synopses Of Classic Books

A few excerpts.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Small town lawyer shoots dog, loses case.
Slaughterhouse Five - Soldier goes to the zoo.
The Catcher in the Rye - Loveable rascal visits the big city.
Romeo and Juliet - Teenage drama queens seek attention.
1984 - Troublemaker attempts to destroy society.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
When the first Dune movie came out my family watched it on our VCR .... and I was the only one who was not completely perplexed. Yes, adding the weirding modules was a bit strange but at least it was relatively self-consistent for a movie of that era tackling a large amount of material. Anyway, I immediately read all the books out at the time and started reading the rest as they were published.

One thing I found odd: the first few books were from my Dad's library. So he should have had some clue about the story but nope.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Personal aside...

Oh yes! Granted you could not cover everything in books spanning that much time but there are plenty of points, including the jihad, that did not get as much love as they should have.