Theoretical Physicists Say 90% Chance of Societal Collapse Within Several Decades

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Theoretical Physicists Say 90% Chance of Societal Collapse Within Several Decades

Two theoretical physicists specializing in complex systems conclude that global deforestation due to human activities is on track to trigger the “irreversible collapse” of human civilization within the next two to four decades.

If we continue destroying and degrading the world’s forests, Earth will no longer be able to sustain a large human population, according to a peer-reviewed paper published this May in Nature Scientific Reports. They say that if the rate of deforestation continues, "all the forests would disappear approximately in 100–200 years."

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
We do seem determined to self destruct, the question is just which method will get us first.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Archer and Beebo Brink

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This part seems a tad overstated though "all the forests would disappear approximately in 100–200 years."

While perhaps true in some parts of the world, in others, reforestation is a regular practice. Granted, it takes years to regrow forests, especially if we are talking old growth, but between the protected areas, areas with low value timber and too remote to deforest, and rigorous reforestation efforts and forest management practices in some countries, I don't think ALL forests would be gone. Certainly there will be enough gone to significantly impact climate and wildlife and watersheds... and that's alarming enough without the hyperbole, but too often we need those extreme messages to get attention to the issue.

Canada stewards the largest boreal forest on earth, and though far from perfect forest management practices, and subject to wildfire and pine beetle, I believe they would at least be able to maintain some of that for the next 100 years.

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Social Scientists report 90% chance of collapse of Newtonian Physics in the next 50 years.
Didn't Einstein already prove that bit of hocus pocus wrong with its instantaneous speed of gravity?

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Didn't Einstein already prove that bit of hocus pocus wrong with its instantaneous speed of gravity?
So it's coming true already.

Jopsy Pendragon

Without Equal Justice, Freedom becomes Tyranny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
... within the next two to four decades.
Did they mention their cause for such optimism? We seem on track for societal collapse in less than a decade, if you ask me.

I mean seriously once most of us are working in parcel delivery or health care... who'll be left to pay for either when self-driving automobiles put all the ride-share drivers out of work?

• 2Like
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Ashiri

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Would probably be time to consider introducing a universal basic income.
That kinda depends on electing congressional leadership that's willing and able to levy taxes on the rich, which is profoundly unlikely unless Citizens United is overturned. And even getting halfway there is unlikely.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Look at what happened in Australia.

We just had our 5th or 6th heatwave here. The summer is only halfway through. I know, climate and local weather isn’t the same thing but the heatwaves are happening much more every year, it’s freaking me out.

Trees grow back but with all the different environmental changes going on - at the same time and at such rapid speed - it truly frightens me.

I stay away from the climate thread, not because I’m not aware or interested, but because I know it will affect me so much...

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
We just had our 5th or 6th heatwave here. The summer is only halfway through.
?Summer? I thought this time of year was Winter for the down under!

• 1Hug
Reactions: Isabeau

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Yes it's winter down under and daffodils are so very early this year. Certainly seems the winters are getting milder.

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
After at least half a decade of too hot and dry summers, we experience (so far) a what once was a typical Dutch summer. Temperatures around 20-25 C, a few days with rain showers never far away. Tomorrow the second 30+ C day, and Saturday back to the mid twenties again.
I'm totally happy with that.
Is El Niño active?
We always have a cool and wet summer in that case.