Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Is he actually deluded or just a massive liar? I have wondered this for a while.
He's deluded. A lifetime of being a spoiled rich kid, followed by being sole owner of his company, means he's never had to face reality. The reality is he's done no better than my parents, who owned a house in the Bronx over a similar time period. That's because *everyone* who owned NY real estate since the 1970's did pretty well. Compared to S&P 500 CEO's (i.e. comparable businessmen), he did well below average, with a string of bankruptcies and failed ventures. If he had instead just bought the S&P 500 index stocks, he'd be a lot richer today than he is. What has kept Trump from going bust is that owning real estate is a pretty simple business, and if you leave it to halfway-competent staff to manage the day-to-day stuff, you will do OK.

Since he's never had to face reality, he can believe whatever he wants, and nobody was there to tell him he's wrong - no board of directors or shareholders to hold him responsible. In the White House, he's still in an insulating bubble of underlings. Except that the Federal government is too big to bend entirely to his will, and this tends to drive him crazy. Hence his Twitter rants.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
This is what happens when he steps outside his little cocoon of MAGA maniacs. I don't think he anticipated the laughter (he even said as much), seeming a bit taken aback after reciting the pablum he considers to be "factual".

‘People actually laughed at a president’: At U.N. speech

On one hand, you feel, ‘Oh, God, how awful that the American president is being laughed at on the world stage,’ ” said Julie Smith, who served as deputy national security adviser to Vice President Joe Biden.

“But on the other hand, you kind of feel good that Trump was finally escaping the bubble of political rallies that continually gives him the impression that everyone agrees with the false claims he is making,” said Smith, who watched Trump’s speech from Berlin, where she is spending a year as a fellow at the Bosch Academy. “There was a moment I thought to myself, ‘This is good that the president is being exposed to how the rest of the world sees him.’ ”
This is like the little kid who stumbles and then claims "I meant to do that!". I hope it sticks in his craw and causes him sleepless nights, but he'd have to have some self-awareness for that to happen.

By the afternoon, Trump was projecting an air of nonchalance, telling reporters that his boast in the speech “was meant to get some laughter.” But most observers weren’t buying it from a president who seldom laughs at himself and whose default expression is an unsparing glare.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This is what happens when he steps outside his little cocoon of MAGA maniacs. I don't think he anticipated the laughter (he even said as much), seeming a bit taken aback after reciting the pablum he considers to be "factual".

‘People actually laughed at a president’: At U.N. speech

This is like the little kid who stumbles and then claims "I meant to do that!". I hope it sticks in his craw and causes him sleepless nights, but he'd have to have some self-awareness for that to happen.
Wishful thinking. At a news conference just now he was asked directly, and expressed incredulity at the idea they were laughing at him.

On Wednesday, Trump argued during a news conference that "they weren't laughing at me, they were laughing with me."

"We had fun," Trump said. "That was not laughing at me. So the fake news said 'people laughed at President Trump.' They didn't laugh at me, people had a good time with me. We were doing it together, we had a good time."
Rolled right off his back. His delusion is so strong, even the world diplomatic machine laughing directly, physically in his face doesn't faze him.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau and Tigger

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Truth is irrelevant to Trump. He says what will make him feel good about himself at that specific moment. And he will bend reality to fit his self-image of being a superior human being, because he quite literally cannot comprehend any other version of events.

As Bronxelf used to say, "He's a toaster." Utterly predictable. If he encounters an event that runs contrary to his self-image, he either changes it or he plays the victim.

So there are a limited number of scenarios for the UN laughter:
* They weren't laughing at him
* They were laughing at him because he meant to be funny
* World leaders are jealous/scared of Trump and they will be punished at Trump's first opportunity

That's about it. And it won't be just ONE of those three options. He will cycle through any of them that he needs at any particular moment, regardless of which one he's used before. Even minutes before.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
At least he is predictable to a certain degree.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU